PDA

View Full Version : Street Doctors and New Health System in AC2



Losk_
06-14-2009, 11:34 PM
First off, I am not even sure that the doctors being in the game has been confirmed, I think I heard it mentioned in a video but maybe it was just a rumor. (if anyone knows of a video that it was discussed please post the link)

What I remember is that there will be doctors that Ezio will have to visit if he becomes badly wounded.

This seems like a very big shift in thinking from the health system of AC1. We lost sync with Altiar's memory when we let him be struck in our Animus simulation, because in the DNA memory Altiar was never hurt.

If we are going to take Ezio to a doctor in AC2 that means that when we let Ezio become hurt, it was part of the original history. (Unless these wounds are only inflicted during cutscenes or are somehow out of our control)

It appears they are putting more control into our hands in terms of writing the history/memory ourselves.

In AC1 the gameplay was akin to not deviating from the original memory. AC2 may be more about letting us write the history ourselves.

This could be part of the change to the overall structure of the game, with more side quests, we also know they have some kind of faction system. Perhaps you can choose sides with different opposing factions rather than being able to work with all of them in a single play through.

Anyway, hopefully this post makes sense. Does anyone have thoughts on what other sorts of implications this might bring?

mastergrant555
06-15-2009, 01:15 AM
I remember the mentioning of doctors. That would be more realistic then u just all of a sudden being better

obliviondoll
06-15-2009, 04:50 AM
It may just imply that Ezio, having been brought up as a noble and not an Assassin, was more prone to making mistakes in combat, and the act of getting injured, and having to find a doctor to help him recover, was more of a familiar memory that it was to Altair.

Losk_
06-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
It may just imply that Ezio, having been brought up as a noble and not an Assassin, was more prone to making mistakes in combat, and the act of getting injured, and having to find a doctor to help him recover, was more of a familiar memory that it was to Altair.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. But I wonder if we will have a sync bar anymore. It wouldn't make sense to go to a doctor to have your sync bar refilled.

And if they give us a "real" health meter, then that breaks the illusion of Desmond being desynced when his ancestor is allowed to die in the Animus. Anyone have any thoughts on how they will make this work within the limitations we know from AC1?

Sarcross
06-15-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm thinking there'll be a sync bar, just not tied to health. There shouldn't be a health bar, btu there might be one. The reason I say shouldn't, is because you don't have a health bar in real life obviously, and so to immerse one into a game, a health bar shouldn't be, you just have to know if/when you're going to die.

Stormpen
06-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Maybe it'll be like this:

The sync bar WILL regenerate, but once it's passed a certian point, it won't, and you have to go to a Street Doc to bring it over that level again.

Losk_
06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Stormpen:
Maybe it'll be like this:

The sync bar WILL regenerate, but once it's passed a certian point, it won't, and you have to go to a Street Doc to bring it over that level again.

But how is that consistent within the rules that we know about?

If you have a sync bar that goes down when Ezio is hurt, that means we have done something that did not happen.

Then if we go to fix/heal something that did not happen we are doing another thing that did not happen. Healing a wound that he should have never had. That should drop our sync even more, not fix it, right?

Just doesn't seem consistent.

You may be right though, it may just be a hole in the logic of the game as a concession to the new economic system.

Losk_
06-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Sarcross:
I'm thinking there'll be a sync bar, just not tied to health. There shouldn't be a health bar, btu there might be one. The reason I say shouldn't, is because you don't have a health bar in real life obviously, and so to immerse one into a game, a health bar shouldn't be, you just have to know if/when you're going to die.

Yeah I agree, I don't think a visible health bar would be good either. I also think having an internal health system would probably be bad, if they are keeping the sync system. Having the two of them together would probably feel weird to play.

Sarcross
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Both would be conflicting if tied to health, but if the sync bar was tied to killing innocents, things like that, then it could work out.

Stormpen
06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
But how does that fit in with the Animus?

Sarcross
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Ok, the animus helps you relive memories right? So, you have to assume that at points in time, Ezio did get hurt, how often, who knows. Its a part of history that happened. So getting hurt should not tie into the sync bar. Now, you also have to assume that Ezio knew right from wrong, and that you just don't go around killing random people... well you do, but its not right for history, so it'll knock you out of synchronization.

Stormpen
06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, but Ezio doesn't seem all that bothered about killing people.....

Sarcross
06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Thats good.

Losk_
06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Sarcross:
Ok, the animus helps you relive memories right? So, you have to assume that at points in time, Ezio did get hurt, how often, who knows. Its a part of history that happened. So getting hurt should not tie into the sync bar. Now, you also have to assume that Ezio knew right from wrong, and that you just don't go around killing random people... well you do, but its not right for history, so it'll knock you out of synchronization.

Just to add a bit more into this idea, we know that he reads the codex, so he may very well start following the creed. Or maybe he wont follow it, again it may be placed in our hands more so than AC1?

Weedwalk
06-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't know what they did with the sync/health in ACII but what about this:
Your sync will regenerate but if you are really wounded you aren't able to run or so, so you heave to go to the street doctor to "fix" your legs or arms.

obliviondoll
06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Losk_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarcross:
I'm thinking there'll be a sync bar, just not tied to health. There shouldn't be a health bar, btu there might be one. The reason I say shouldn't, is because you don't have a health bar in real life obviously, and so to immerse one into a game, a health bar shouldn't be, you just have to know if/when you're going to die.

Yeah I agree, I don't think a visible health bar would be good either. I also think having an internal health system would probably be bad, if they are keeping the sync system. Having the two of them together would probably feel weird to play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with the first suggestion, and think about it this way:

The Animus allows Desmond to relive his ancestors' memories, but it's harder to relive memories which were painful for the person expeiencing them. Therefore, reliving memories of physical pain, particularly prolonged physical pain, would reduce the Animus' ability to sync him with those memories. That would explain the sync bar not rising past a certain point dring times of injury.

Simple, no?

Silhouette1991
06-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Losk_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stormpen:
Maybe it'll be like this:

The sync bar WILL regenerate, but once it's passed a certian point, it won't, and you have to go to a Street Doc to bring it over that level again.

But how is that consistent within the rules that we know about?

If you have a sync bar that goes down when Ezio is hurt, that means we have done something that did not happen.

Then if we go to fix/heal something that did not happen we are doing another thing that did not happen. Healing a wound that he should have never had. That should drop our sync even more, not fix it, right?

Just doesn't seem consistent.

You may be right though, it may just be a hole in the logic of the game as a concession to the new economic system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Maybe there was in Desmond's memory something about Ezio going to doctors,hm?Ever think of that? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif