PDA

View Full Version : F2A-2 Buffalo Question

3.JG51_BigBear
11-04-2004, 03:10 PM
I can't wait to fly the Buffalo, its always been my favorite airplane, having the B-239 just wasn't the same. I have a quick question about the plane and was hoping someone could help me out. The F2A-2 has a large cylinder mounted in the space behind the pilot's head rest. The F2A-2 is the only model with this cylinder and I haven't been able to find a source that says what it was used for. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cage50
11-04-2004, 04:17 PM
I've seen this cylindar referenced in all the F2A Buffalo's not just the -2, but you know how varied resources can be..just thought you may like to know it's possible it was in all the models.
Anyway...I believe that it's the life raft (or storage compartment if deciding not to carry a life raft).

GonzoX
11-04-2004, 05:00 PM
I have seen different models (in pictures) of the F2A-2 with and without the canister so who knows for sure.

I would imagine that the model without one would be quicker to integrate into PF since it looks almost just like the Finish Brewster.

What I am wondering about is the FM though. I know that the Finish Brewster was lighter and therefore had better performance and was more nimble than our USN version.

Also, wasn't the F2A-2 fusalage slightly longer and carried more fuel also?

As always though, I look forward to anything new to be added to AE/PF.

3.JG51_BigBear
11-04-2004, 05:46 PM
I did a little more research and I think Cage is dead on about the life raft. It would all fit because most pictures of late war Buffalos are of those serving with foreign countries or with land based units. Most likely the life rafts were taken from the planes when the navy took their arrestor hooks, engines, and guns sights out of them. Mystery solved, thanks.

Gonzo, the AI F2A-2 in the game already has the canister, despite some of its other problems, PF doesn't lack in detail. I hope that they just slap in the cockpit and let us fly it as is, I can't wait. The F2A-2 was really considered the pick of the liter. It had a more powerful engine which necessitated a longer cowel and didn't yet suffer from the massive weight creep which resulted from the addition of some 1000lbs of equipment introduced into the F2A-3 and B-339. I don't know about the increased fuel load but most sources agree that the F2A-2 handled better than the B-239.

SkyChimp
11-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Yeth!!!! It wath the life rafth.

necrobaron
11-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Another question I have about the F2A is regarding the glazing underneath the fuselage, beneath the cockpit. I would assume that it helped in visibility but is there a more indepth reason than that?

3.JG51_BigBear
11-04-2004, 07:04 PM
I think it was for navigation purposes only. The wildcat also has glass windows on the bottom of the feuselage, I just figured it was a Navy requirement at the time. Many examples had the windows covered, I'm guessing because metal stops flying metal better than glass?

GerritJ9
11-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Which version of the B339 are you referring to- the Belgian B339B, the Dutch B339C and D, or the British B339E? The latter was the worst version of the Buffalo- an 1100 hp engine plus about 1,000 lbs heavier than the B339B. The B339D may well have been the best version of all Buff variants- about 250 kg (550 lbs)lighter than the B339E, plus a 1200 hp engine.
The Ki43 and Zero could outclimb the Buff, but the Buff could easily outdive both, and had a heavier armament than the two popguns fitted to the Ki43. Furthermore, like the F4F, it was a rugged aircraft, capable of taking considerable punishment yet still capable of bringing its pilot home- damage which would have been fatal to the Ki43 and Zero. In some respects it was a better aircraft than the F4F, it had much better rearward vision for instance.

Chuck_Older
11-05-2004, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
Yeth!!!! It wath the life rafth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lose some wrist muscles, Chimp? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif