PDA

View Full Version : Saitek x52 need help

bavwcjoel
01-11-2006, 10:34 PM
hey guys I just got the saitek x52 joystick and i can't seem to get my profile to load so that i can use it in IL-2.. anyone have this set up and can help me out i would be much appreciative.

Vassago5k
01-12-2006, 01:40 AM
If you're transferring it over from an X45, it simply wont work.

I'm running into my own issue, though. Any 'pinkie+' commands I make with the x52 aren't working. The button works perfectly fine though, and maps out perfectly in the profiler.

Any ideas?

1.JaVA_Hornet
01-12-2006, 03:55 AM
Except the I key everytings works on my
x52!!!!!!!!!!

Tully__
01-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Saitek SST profiles have to be manually loaded, it wont autoload when you start the game. To manually load, right click the icon in the system tray (bottom right corner of your screen next to the clock) and select the profile you want from the list. You can also use the clutch button/hatswitch if you haven't assigned other functions to the clutch.

@Vassago5k, you did remember to assign the pinkie switch to work as a Shift function? By default it's just another dx button.

@1.JaVA_Hornet: Mine too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

F16_Neo
01-12-2006, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by 1.JaVA_Hornet:
Except the I key everytings works on my
x52!!!!!!!!!!
The "i" button seems to be for showing command-text on display and swap profiles on the fly.

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 06:36 AM
right the "i" button on the throttle is the clutch to swap profiles i know that, but i made a profile set it up to how i would like it to be i load it before the game... profiles still loaded.. get into game, and nothing works. how do you set the pinkie switch to a shift function? i set a couple things in the ::shift:: mode 1 + pinkie in the SST programming. or is that what you're referring to as the shift function?

//all kinds of confused\\

Vassago5k
01-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah, thanks Tully. I wasn't aware about that.
Pinkie works great now, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Now, would you happen to know why my x52 'mini mouse' won't work as a pov switch? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It works on my x45 though, which is odd. I used it for several view settings, and the x52 won't let me set it up that way.

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 08:48 AM
are your rotaries set for axis or bands? and in the in game settings.. are you guys leaving them default and just using the profiles with in game default settings?

F16_Neo
01-12-2006, 11:01 AM
It's rather easy to tell if the profile works. Just load the profile and test with notepad.
I use the rotaries as analogue trims & the linear slider for prop pitch.
And my in-game settings are severly altered from the default http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
Didn't quite like the X52 stick, got my CH-Fighterstick yesterday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Will use it together w the X52 thottle.
This fighterstick feels a lot different, hopefully I'll get used to it.

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 12:03 PM
sorry but i'm new to the whole flight sim stuff.. so how do i go about testing in Notepad?

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 02:16 PM
if it's no problem could some one help me out via messenger serivce or TS/Vent?

BSS_AIJO
01-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey,

I use the pinkie switch on the stick as a :SHIFT: in the profile you have to actually tell the profile that that button is the SHIFT, then it just works.

Notepad is handy, load it up and focus on it ( click on the notpade so when you type letters appear )

now, hit buttons on the stick with the profile loaded you should see the corrosponding keystrokes in notepad appear as if typed.

Think of the buttons as if they were keys on the keyboard.

I love my profile on the 52, though I am still tweaking it. But currently it kicks ASCII 8^)

BSS_AIJO

Tully__
01-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Vassago5k:
Now, would you happen to know why my x52 'mini mouse' won't work as a pov switch? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The mouse hat on the X-45 is a hat switch but the one on the X-52 is a mini-joystick. You can make it work as a hat but you have to assign it to Bands first. Break each of the two axes up into 3 bands (middle one get's no command, it's there to act as a deadzone when the ministick is centered). Then you assign keystrokes to the band just like for a normal switch/button.

If you want to see what it should look like you can download my X-52 profile (link under my signature picture), I have the ministick set up to control zoom/wide view and gunsight toggle.

Tully__
01-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by bavwcjoel:
are your rotaries set for axis or bands? and in the in game settings.. are you guys leaving them default and just using the profiles with in game default settings?

Rotaries: The game has 10 controls that can be mapped directly to axis controls, they're all grouped right at the bottom of the in game controls screen in the HOTAS CONTROL section:

http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/images/tully/hotascontrol.jpg

If you want to use the rotaries or the precision slider for any of these controls you can simply assign them directly in this section of the game controls screen.

If you want to use rotaries for controls not listed in this section you'll have to use bands. Good candidates for this sort of assignment are fuel mixture, field of view control and engine selection.

In game default controls: If you're using a profile and don't need the keys used in the game defaults for something else, the simplest solution is to just leave the controls at default. It also makes life a lot simpler if you share your profile with other X-52 owners or for any reason have to re-install the game.

Many of the controls in the game don't have default key assignments. For these you'll have to assign controls but there's no hard rule about how to go about it. The only suggestion I'd make is avoid using Alt and Ctrl (by themselves or in combination with other keys) for controls that you may use at the same time as other controls. Combinations like Alt-F4 (close program), Shift-Tab (open console), Ctrl-E (bail out) and others can put a real dent in your day, and the game doesn't care if the keys are assigned to the same joystick button, two diffent joystick buttons or if they're pressed one on keyboard and the other as a joystick assignment.

What time zone are you? If we're not too different I can probably give you a hand with the confusing bits.

You may also like to download my X-52 profile and see some of the different assignment methods I've used. The link is under my signature picture.

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
thanks tully that gives me some idea.. now back to reading the manuel some more.. woot woot!

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 05:20 PM
central time zone. for the airloines and rudder fine tun adjustment on the rotatary's how do you know where neutral is? if set as "Hotas" ?

Tully__
01-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by bavwcjoel:
central time zone. for the airloines and rudder fine tun adjustment on the rotatary's how do you know where neutral is? if set as "Hotas" ?

The game automatically sets sensitivity based on travel from centered position for centered controls and travel from zero for non centered controls.

Centered are:

Aileron
Elevator
Rudder
Aileron trim
Elevator trim
Rudder trim

Non centered are:

Power
Flaps
Brakes
Prop pitch

Central US? That puts you about GMT -6 or -7. I'm currently GMT +11 so my afternoon is your evening. If my lady is working on Monday I may have time Sunday night your time. If she's not working I have other plans http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
-6 gmt. so i should set the rotataries for a non-centered object then? would that be better advised then say using it for aileron trim or rudder trim? thanks for your time.. it's 6:32PM here

also my buddy plays this game but i believe he uses a different forum as well.. is there any other suggested forums to use? or are they more like squadrons and individual forums?

Vassago5k
01-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Big props to ya Tully, thanks.
Like you, I used my mini-mouse (on my x45) for zoom/wide view. So this helps tremendously.

Thanks again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I think i'm starting to get the hang of it.. i didn't set the macro's or the advanced key press.. only key press.

what is the FOV? is that the zoom/wide view?

bavwcjoel
01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
ok i've got a copy of the profile i made.. i still can't get it to load.. if anyone has the time to check it over and tell me what i'm doing wrong i can email a copy of the .dat file which i zipped in WinRAR. send me an email at texansk8r69@hotmail.com

thanks hope to see you flying soon!!!

bavwcjoel
01-13-2006, 12:40 PM
thanks to everyone that helped me out! i finally got it working, i had to go in and uninstall and then reinstall an newer version of the HIDUSB.sys and then update all drivers to like no end!

thank you everyone for you time and help