PDA

View Full Version : Bombsight question

Mosin_91
12-02-2005, 09:04 PM
I have been tinkering in the QMB, trying to get the bombsight to work. I get lined up on my target, I put in the altitude and speed into bombsight (given in red letters at lower left of screen) and set auto aim on.

Two questions

1. How do I stop the sight from creeping? Is it creeping because info is entered incorectly?

2. Every time I overshoot with my bombs, even though I enter everything correctly. Why? What do I do to get bombs in the pickel barrel.

I have spent days trying different altitudes and speeds and aircraft, making sure to use KM/H with he111 and betty while using mph with mitchel. REgardless of my efforts, My bombs ALWAYS overshoot. Any help would be appretiated.

Mosin_91
12-02-2005, 09:04 PM
I have been tinkering in the QMB, trying to get the bombsight to work. I get lined up on my target, I put in the altitude and speed into bombsight (given in red letters at lower left of screen) and set auto aim on.

Two questions

1. How do I stop the sight from creeping? Is it creeping because info is entered incorectly?

2. Every time I overshoot with my bombs, even though I enter everything correctly. Why? What do I do to get bombs in the pickel barrel.

I have spent days trying different altitudes and speeds and aircraft, making sure to use KM/H with he111 and betty while using mph with mitchel. REgardless of my efforts, My bombs ALWAYS overshoot. Any help would be appretiated.

WWSensei
12-02-2005, 11:21 PM
yes, it is entered incorrectly. The altitude is ok from the speedbar but the speed displayed is Indicated Airspeed. The bombsight requires True Airspeed.

On the IL2 CD in one of the folders is a conversion chart.

However, there is another method. Line up on target. Engage level stabilizer. Use rudder trim to adjust for left or right drift.

Engage autobombsight. If the crosshairs are moving past your target decrease the speed until it moves back on target.

If the crosshairs are drifting short of target increase your speed input into the bombsight. When the bombsight no longer moves you have the right speed for your drop.

Mosin_91
12-02-2005, 11:56 PM
thank you very much!

One last question, will the chart give me exact values and could you be more specific on the file path? If not I will hunt and peck until I find it.

Again, thanks for the tip on increasing/decreasing airspeed during bomb run.

However, if I do alter the bombsight durring the run, do I have to reset auto aim or do adjustments take imediate affects?

p1ngu666
12-03-2005, 12:52 AM
adust the speed to keep the target in the crosshairs. the bombsite doesnt track right anymore, so constant adustment is required

bombs also have different ballistics, they fall abit different sometimes...

WWSensei
12-03-2005, 07:07 AM
Exact path? I'm too lazy. I have a copy of the chart in my He111 guide.

http://www.wingwalkers.org/sensei/He111_Operations_Guide.pdf

Kapt_A
12-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Altitude on some of the Pacific maps are between 0 to 100 ft above sea level so it's not going to be far off.But if you have a mission with target inland,hopefully they put the target altitude in brief so that can be subtracted from site adjustment.

polak5
12-03-2005, 02:42 PM
sensei great guide http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif