PDA

View Full Version : OK, CH JS or X45 JS?

EAGLE_34_WO
02-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Ok, it's narrowed down to buying the X45 JS and throttle or the CH fighterstick and Pro Throttle. The price is a little higher with the CH products but if it's worth it I will go with whatever you all think is best lol. So my final thread about this....CH fighterstick and throttle or X45? Please give opinions!!! Thanks again.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Ok, it's narrowed down to buying the X45 JS and throttle or the CH fighterstick and Pro Throttle. The price is a little higher with the CH products but if it's worth it I will go with whatever you all think is best lol. So my final thread about this....CH fighterstick and throttle or X45? Please give opinions!!! Thanks again.

Achilles97
02-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Last month I picked up an X45 and I really like it. The joystick is fine as long as you tweak the sensitivity in the game and keep it lubricated.

The rocker rudder is fine. I was really sceptical but after using I think it's ok.

To sum it up, I really like the X45. I don't have any complaints about it. For $70 you can't beat it.

himura108
02-12-2005, 04:40 PM
CH has excelent feel, after a year it is still exactly the same stick like when it was new. Only disadvantage could be the size that proly wouldnt fit to ppl with small hands. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

kiddknapp59
02-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I own two X45s and just got a CH Fighterstick. I can€t really even articulate how much better the CH is compared to the X45. You get what you pay for. The Saitek stuff will start to wear out in a year or so, maybe longer if you don€t use it much (I am a bit heavy handed). I am replacing the throttle next with a CH throttle and pedals of course.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Yea, I will be ordering the CH JS and Throttle tonight! Thanks for the help, as I would've never heard of CH products unless coming here!

Bearcat99
02-12-2005, 05:25 PM
I suggest that instead of getting the CH fighter stick and throttle that you get the X-45 and a set of CH pedals...
Go here (http://www.provantage.com/buy-110CHPU-ch-shopping.htm) to get the CH stuff..... and go here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) to see if you can get a reconditioned X-45 for $39.95.

Figure like this...... You can spend either <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$189.20 </span>for a CH stick and throttle..... <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$280.69 </span>for a CH stick,throttle and pedals..... or <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$131.48 </span>for a reconditioned X-45 and a set of CH pedals...... or <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$171.48 </span>for a new retail X-45 and CH pedals setup.... add another $15 to that if you get a performance service plan.

CH products are very good from what I hear.. I only have the pedals and I love them..... but the X-45 is not a bad stick... and you can really stretch your immersion factor by getting the X-45 sand pedals now.... and a maybe in a year or so.. when/if the X-45 starts to go bsad you can get the CH stuff..... IMO an X-45 and pedals would be better for you than just the stick and throttle alone. I use my X-45 throttle every day (since the release of Forgotten Battles) and I had no spiking or anything so far.... Something to think about.....

Wilburnator
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
If I had to choose ONE of the CH controllers to not have, I suppose it would be the throttle. If you don't get the pedals, how do you intend to operate the rudder? Keyboard keys? The CH Fighter Stick does have a throttle wheel... basic, but it works. So I think the stick and pedals would be a smarter choice than the stick and throttle. As it happens for myself, I have a throttle from the X52 and one from an older X36, so I can't justify getting yet another from CH.

Bearcat's suggestion is probably the way to go if you're not loaded enough for the full CH rig. You can always get the fighterstick later, and you'll have that very nice X45 throttle still. X45's are cheap enough now that even if it's not what you ultimately want it will serve you well enough, and when it wears out it's no big loss of $.

I STRONGLY disagree with Achilles that the throttle rocker switch is an acceptable method of controlling your rudder. I know some people have become proficient with it, but I found it maddening try to use it to line up shots. And after ten minutes a searing forearm cramp from its awkward position. But we're all different. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Bearcat99
02-12-2005, 06:21 PM
This is one reason why I recommend the X-45 with the pedals...... the rudder rocker can be banded as a switch and used for flaps... I have tried it in several different configs... and i find that with rudderpedals that rocker works best as flaps... it is on the same hand as your throttle so for turning and such it becomes almost second nature.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I suggest that instead of getting the CH fighter stick and throttle that you get the X-45 and a set of CH pedals...
Go http://www.provantage.com/buy-110CHPU-ch-shopping.htm to get the CH stuff..... and go http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html to see if you can get a reconditioned X-45 for $39.95.

Figure like this...... You can spend either <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$189.20 </span>for a CH stick and throttle..... <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$280.69 </span>for a CH stick,throttle and pedals..... or <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$131.48 </span>for a reconditioned X-45 and a set of CH pedals...... _or_ <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">$171.48 </span>for a new retail X-45 and CH pedals setup.... add another $15 to that if you get a performance service plan.

CH products are very good from what I hear.. I only have the pedals and I love them..... but the X-45 is not a bad stick... and you can really stretch your immersion factor by getting the X-45 sand pedals now.... and a maybe in a year or so.. when/if the X-45 starts to go bsad you can get the CH stuff..... IMO an X-45 and pedals would be better for you than just the stick and throttle alone. I use my X-45 throttle every day (since the release of Forgotten Battles) and I had no spiking or anything so far.... Something to think about..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds nice and all but, the X45 stick is what I didn't really enjoy flying. It had a "sticky" point right in the middle. Once I got outside of that sticking point, it was fine. Have you ever had to use a lube on it to smooth it out? Also do you have confidence in the reconditioned X45's?

Wilburnator
02-12-2005, 06:50 PM
I read here somewhere that solid stick anti-perspirant, of all things, was an excellent lube for a sticky X45. Lol. Anyhow, good luck. I'd get the pedals If I were you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. The individual pedals also rock, giving you 3 axis in total. I use the right rocker pedal for flaps on an axis, and the left for brakes on an axis.It works well for me. Whatever you decide, the CH stuff is pretty killer. I believe you're gonna like it.

Lav69
02-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Eagle to lube the X45 stick you just rub a candle under the base plate on the stick. Rotate the stick around and as the plate comes up rub the wax on the stick underneath the plate. Smoothes the action right out and is totaly safe for the component. I hope you aren't missing the point here. If you get the CH stick and throttle but dont have pedals you will have to use your keyboard for rudder. Big NO NO. I have the X45 and CH pedals. I like the X45, but will probably get the CH stick and throttle setup before long. It is undoubtedly the best out there so why not, but my X45 has served me well.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Any CH JS users tell me if the JS has a throttle button on the stick itself? I am looking at the pic and it looks as if it does right to the left. I am considering getting only the fighterstick and pro pedals unless there is no throttle feature on the fighterstick itself.

RevvinUK
02-13-2005, 12:12 PM
You are correct, there is a throttle wheel on the side of the Fighterstick. You could easily add a Pro Throttle or Throttle Quadrant later. If you need any help on creating profiles or want to download a pre-made one try visiting the site in my sig. It's a community site for CH users, if you see a profile you like but it includes devices you don't have you can still download it and simply delete the devices you don't have from the profile with one click.

sledgehammer2
02-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, I guess you have made up your mind, but here is my take anyway. I got the X-45 for Christmas. Even though I wasn't unhappy with my MS Sidewinder I had been wanting a HOTAS, and I liked the looks of the throttle onn the -45. Long story short, I got it, hooked it up, and it just didn't work for me. I could figure out how to program stuff, but half the time what I programmed wouldn't work... for example, I wanted the flaps on the rocker switch like Bearcat, but I could not get it to work right. I did it by the book too. Well, after 2 weeks of fiddling around with the **** thing and no flying time, I just got exasperated and sent it back.

I reached this conclusion that the CH throttle was meant for me! I have used the pedals for about 3 years and also read all the great things people were saying about their stuff, so I got it and it came Friday. I am now getting used to it and like it so far.

Also, what little I did with the stick part of the X-45 made me appreciate my Sidewinder. I plan to get the CH fighterstick this summer.

Nominal.
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EAGLE_34_WO:
Any CH JS users tell me if the JS has a throttle button on the stick itself? I am looking at the pic and it looks as if it does right to the left. I am considering getting only the fighterstick and pro pedals unless there is no throttle feature on the fighterstick itself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the CH Pro Pedals and Fighter Stick and agree it is your best bet - you can add throttle later. A twist stick is OK for rudder - I have 3 of them, but the foot pedals simply cannot be beat. The throttle on the joystick is adequate - a CH Pro Throttle would be a great addition to the stick and pedals, but you can live without it.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I will be putting my order in for the CH fighterstick and pedals tonight. I plan on getting the throttle asap. It looks better for the wife with it broken up into smaller prices lmao. Anyway, thanks for all the replies!

VFS-22_SPaRX
02-13-2005, 09:12 PM
EAGLE,

To be honest, if you do not play jet sims, the Fighterstick is overkill. I have the Combat 568 USB stick and it has more then enough buttons for sure. Add in a pro throttle, you will be hard pressed to remember what all those buttons do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Also the Combatstick is anywhere from 30-40 dollars less.

If you are in the US, www.provantage.com (http://www.provantage.com) has the best prices for CHproducts.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-14-2005, 04:53 AM
I also play lockon quite abit offline. I'm don't mind overkill either. Whats more attractive to me, from what i hear, is that it's a very durable stick.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-14-2005, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EAGLE_34_WO:
I also play lockon quite abit offline. I'm don't mind overkill either. Whats more attractive to me, from what i hear, is that it's a very durable stick. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Durable and very precise. You won't be unhappy.

TB

Tiger27
02-14-2005, 06:56 AM
I have a fighter stick and its brilliant, extremely accurate and not a twitch after nearly a year of use, and Im the second owner of this stick.
I made my own USB pedals and throttle quadrant, if your even slightly handy with tools they are both pretty easy to knock together for a small outlay.
In the long run you will save money with CH products they have top build quality and parts are easy to come by.