PDA

View Full Version : Another "Little Things Mean a Lot" Thread....

LEBillfish
01-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Lets see if we can keep this to "one liners" and remake the list again....That being pointing out the little insignificant things that make the sim so real as I ran in to one I'd not seen last night.

Post your fav. old ones and new ones http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

1. A6m7 when you turn on cockpit lights has a map light that turns on and flickers realistically from vibration.

2. Sparks coming off tailhooks as they strike US carrier decks.

3. Japanese Iron sights raising when reflector sight shot out.

4. Ki-61 handles rotate to unlock cockpit.

5. Many planes cocpit glass becomes mirrored on inside if sun hits it just right not letting you see out.

6. Outside view of cockpit on A6m versions that have "tanker glass" front plates, lets you see it.

7. Sound files are in place that have both carrier and base sounds...Birds chirping, geko's chirping if pacific, engines rumbling if a carrier...Normally heard just in campaign missions.

LEBillfish
01-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Lets see if we can keep this to "one liners" and remake the list again....That being pointing out the little insignificant things that make the sim so real as I ran in to one I'd not seen last night.

Post your fav. old ones and new ones http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

1. A6m7 when you turn on cockpit lights has a map light that turns on and flickers realistically from vibration.

2. Sparks coming off tailhooks as they strike US carrier decks.

3. Japanese Iron sights raising when reflector sight shot out.

4. Ki-61 handles rotate to unlock cockpit.

5. Many planes cocpit glass becomes mirrored on inside if sun hits it just right not letting you see out.

6. Outside view of cockpit on A6m versions that have "tanker glass" front plates, lets you see it.

7. Sound files are in place that have both carrier and base sounds...Birds chirping, geko's chirping if pacific, engines rumbling if a carrier...Normally heard just in campaign missions.

Latico
01-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Pilot head turning.

Use external views to see other planes and you will see the heads of the pilots facing the enemy plane they are engaging.

Or

While in formation, check out the pilots that are facing the plane they are formed up with.

ElAurens
01-30-2005, 01:31 PM
The moving indicator sliders for flaps and radiator position in the Ki 61 cockpit.

The beautiful default skins for the P40B, C, and Tomahawks. (They should all be this good).

The rolling pencil on the navigator's desk in the TB3.

The crews of trucks that run away when you straff them in co-ops.

SeaFireLIV
01-30-2005, 01:36 PM
(Can`t let this die. There`s too much negativity as it is).

The wonderful damage models. You NEVER know what`s going to happen once you get on the tail of a bogey. How will he go down? Pilot death? Smoking? Propeller kill? manouever damage? Wing shot off and spinning to earth? Lose half the fuselage? Catch fire? Bail? Or survive? The list is almost endless.

Gone are the days when you just shot in the General `Hit bubble` of an aircraft and it would either blow up, lose one wing or just go down smoking.

civildog
01-30-2005, 01:59 PM
The way the tracers' leave showers of sparks behind them as they ricochette off the shturmovik's armor.

Watching the turrets all rotate to track multiple enemy planes in a bomber formation (I get shot down too often watching that).

Tricking the AAA to destroy it's own base by chasing you in a wheels-up high speed low pass across the enemy taxiways when there are lots of parked targets lined up. I always wish there was a "pilot thumbs nose at enemy" toggle for that move!

Bearcat99
01-30-2005, 02:13 PM
The trim wheels on the P-51

The working mag compass on the P-51 and the Corsair to name a few...

The flipping switches on the P-40

All the moving levers (flaps,mix,pitch etc)

The headshake....... taken for granted but the first time I saw it was in IL2. Headshake is actually early bare bones 6DoF just on a much smaller scale....... millimeters instead of inches.

Of course there is the famous bent up cowling cover on the 109s

The fact that you can actually shear off a planes rudder or an elevator with your prop... and not explode... and depending on how you do it ie your speed and how deep your prop hits you can either :
A)Loose your engine completely where it just shuts down
B)Damage your engine to the point where you cant get any power from it but it will stay on forcing you to disengage and try to sneak off...
C)No damage at all.. but the bogie's elevator or rudder is gone... and a lot of that depends on the plane.

The fact that the temp gages are pretty much in line.... redline it too long and it will sieze up.... and speaking of siezing up... take a hit and start loosing oil and watch as your oil pressure drops and your temp gauge rises and then you jus freezeup.

The sounds in the cnaopy on the corsair between open and close.... of course they couldnt model many of the engine sounds accurately as far as volume goes or else you wouldnt hear anything else especially if you were shooting your guns.... and speaking of guns....

The way the P-47s 8 50 cals will slow it down when on a staraffing run.. to the point that if you are going too slow you will stall out if you arent carefull...

There is a lot more too but I think Ive hogged up enough of this thread... great post K.

BTW
IMO the only thing this sim lacks are more, and bigger maps and some of the sounds could be different but they are good as they are IMO. Plus with the maps you have to think...... I run this thing on a XP3200, 1.5GDDR400,6800GTOCd256... and it still taxes my rig when I try to push it to its limits. I think this sim is way ahead of the available PC curve not so much as technology available but cost... and considering the diverse range of users that can use this sim.. and use it effectively enough to see its virtues... it is an AMAZING piece of work. You can have a 1.6GXXX with 768MSDRAM and a 4 year old 128M video card and see enough of this so=im to be thoroughly and convincingly impressed with its features. Why......... I have bought sims that I still cant get to work right.

LEBillfish
01-30-2005, 03:05 PM
OH!!...forgot a good one...

B24 Ball Turret will raise and lower into fusalage dependant on how close enemy is.

civildog
01-30-2005, 03:14 PM
hmmmm...the ball turret raises or lowers depending on how close the enemy is....shouldn't it raise when the enemy is too close, or is that just modelled that way for the guy in the turret? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Extreme_One
01-30-2005, 03:35 PM
The trees blowing in the wind....

Spudinsky
01-30-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm fairly new to PF, so I'm sure there are still a lot of goodies I've yet to discover. But some of the gems that have already had me going "Wow!" are:

The wakes the aircraft leave in the water when flying very low.

The way the engine on the Hurricane Mk1 splutters and cuts out when nosing over and pulling positive G.

What happens when you go off the end a carrier and it proceeds to run you over.

The high altitude vapour trails

The skipping bombs (it even happened when I dropped a pair of napalm canisters on a convoy near a bridge - I missed and the canisters actually skipped across the surface of the river and exploded on the far side of the bridge!)

Latico
01-30-2005, 03:42 PM
But I STILL haven't found the TIKI Bar!

3.JG51_BigBear
01-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Uneven raising of landing gear depending on the hydrolic system and the ability to manually raise the gear if the hydrolics have been damaged.

FF_Trozaka
01-30-2005, 04:01 PM
i think its the A 20 rear gunner jumps from one position to the other depending on which position is required to fend off enemy plane.

the manual gear hand crank (love that thing).

working mirrors.

planes dropping gear when hydraulics get shot out.

rubberraft visible on f4f when damaged.

being able to fly underbridges and through open ended hangars.

S!

flyplenty
01-30-2005, 04:48 PM
the way that oil covers your windscreen, depending on how badly your engine is hit.

NTESLA
01-30-2005, 05:37 PM
-The way ships and aeroplanes now sink in the sea.

-The sparkles from the sea at high altitude

-The clouds, atmospheric conditions as rain, fog, etc.

-That we actually have a dozen different voice packs with this sim!

-The shocks actually work when you land

-The movement of dirt when you high rev your prop at the ground

-The actual use of Newtonian physics! When you shoot your cannons/guns it actually slows down your plane!

-Again, with physics, if you are in a slope and do not put the brakes, your plane will roll!

- Pilots actually duck on certain fighters where the canopy is too short

- Actually how AI wingmen follow ATC commands!

- Also when you actually call Tower for help, it does make nearby fighters come to your rescue!

- Torpedos, Torpedos, Torpedos!!!

- You can hydroplane if you come in at the right angle!

- Carriers rock dependent to the sea's conditions!

- Flak and it's unpredictable behaviour on your fighters frame!

- Having people man the guns on ship and ground!

- Having people run out of panic when you strafe them in the road!

- Having rubber make smoke when you land.

- Engine sounds different depending on it's health.

- The use of ACES and UberDemon's work on this great sim.

- The availability for people like Extreme One to make great campaigns!

- The availability for people like me to make Movies!!!

- The availability for hundred if not thousands of us to play online!

- The availability to almost have the comple VIRTUAL WW2 Aerial combat from Europe to the Pacific!

...and by the way LEBillfish, thanks for your #7 remark, those Sound Effects were done by me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LEBillfish
01-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Speaking of wakes, if you run low over a "river" and make a wake, the wake will naturally spread out, but when it hits shore will start to come back overlapping the original.

Powerlines

As eluded to above, if you belly land a 109 (e4 maybe others) the frame will "bend" at the firewall, springing open the cowling and expose the engine.

J8 has astounding damage models too much to list...However Cowling springing up and fusalage frame are 2 excellent examples.

Gun flashes from waist gunners guns are almost blinding in the craft...yet can be seen illuminating the exterior as well.

Searchlights that work.

As stated above, ships that sink dependant on where hit...Bow up, tail up, roll over, etc...
and used to stop sinking if they struck bottom in a shallow bay.

V-1 Rockets.

LEBillfish
01-30-2005, 06:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NTESLA:
...and by the way LEBillfish, thanks for your #7 remark, those Sound Effects were done by me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pity they aren't applied to online bases...very nice.

AFSG_Bulldog
01-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Well all of the above and... How the radar towers on the aircraft carriers track the incoming enemy aircraft. The noise of the cannon shells as they go whizzing by. The extra wind noise when you have the canopy open.

And I am still finding great surprises in this sim.

heywooood
01-30-2005, 08:11 PM
ahhhh...fresh air....sweeet.

please continue... oh wait...I like the pilots oxygen masks appearing at 10,000' altitude...

and the sheer number of objects and whatnot in the FMB...

Cess-SGTRoc
01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Your aircraft taken out by the canopy of the aircraft you just shot down, as the pilot bails out!
Bullet fountians blowing over in the wind as you shots strike a dirt road.
landing gear torn off if dropped at two high of a speed, and then hitting you stabilizer and breaking it off.
And so many more I cannot even remember them all.
And for people to say that this is a bad sim,lol I guess they just do not see what all has been put into this sim. More than any other that I have seen. And I have had them all from the very first ones.

Bearcat99
01-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I just found another goodie.... the landing gear indicator on the Corsair works! There are 3 sliders just to the left of the two gun knobs on the left front panel... when you raise your gear they raise..... I havent tested to see if one is damaged it will show.. but the indicators do work... so does the arrester hook indicator.

gbollin
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Oil covering damaged B-29 engines.
Engine access cover blown off TBF and flames
coming from inside engine compartment.

WTE_Dukayn
01-30-2005, 10:09 PM
- Working ammo counters in German planes (might be in others, can't find 'em yet).

- When your tailgunner yells at you when you pull stupid moves in an IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

- Early-morning fog

- The fact that if I have a fuel leak and fly through an exploding enemy plane I will most likely catch fire

- Those new columns of water after a plane goes in the drink

Many more that I can't think of right now.

civildog
01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
WTE_Dukayn ....Only the German planes have ammo counters. Which is correct for the period.

DHC2Pilot
01-30-2005, 10:43 PM
People, get a grip. We can't be having all of these POSITIVE posts. It goes against all reason. Seriously though, it sure is nice to reflect on all of the GREAT things this sim has to offer. The positives outweigh the negatives by at least 3:1. To all the habitual whiners...put this in your pipe and smoke it.

GR142_Astro
01-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Working toggle switches in P63. Landing light, nav lights, etc.

Bearcat, they work in teh P40 too? Never noticed.

boxduty
01-31-2005, 03:19 AM
The rear gunner in the DB-3 and SB2M moving between positions...

Aero_Shodanjo
01-31-2005, 03:41 AM
Got to agree with early morning mists. I can almost feel the cold in my skin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Amd then the way water splashed when got hit by cannon shells.

Oh and not to forget, the nice - almost real - waves and the sun and scenery reflecting from water. Ive got that all work in a decent fps (for me) with a modest rig: P4 2,2 OC, 512MB, FX 5200.

I can have a 16 vs 16 QMB with just a few minor stutters. In perfect mode.

Hoatee
01-31-2005, 06:02 AM
The list of little things is too long.

One item I will make mention of. Manual raising of gears. I could never understand why I coudn't get the Hellcat to raise gears and thought it was a bug - press the assigned key a multiple number of time 'til the gear is up.

And if you look down in the cockpit you can watch the wheel move (as the pilot would use it to lift the gear).

All in all an excellent sim.

BSS_Goat
01-31-2005, 06:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
WTE_Dukayn ....Only the German planes have ammo counters. Which is correct for the period. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to nitpick but the Hellcats have ammo counters also.

MajorBloodnok
01-31-2005, 06:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSS_Goat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
WTE_Dukayn ....Only the German planes have ammo counters. Which is correct for the period. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to nitpick but the Hellcats have ammo counters also. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Brewster Buffalos too.

* I like the sound of the clock ticking when you land safely and switch off the engine.

* P39 engine sound - turn your (virtual) head and you can hear it behind you.

S!

MajorBloodnok

Old_Canuck
01-31-2005, 06:51 AM
Precision damage modeling. Had a track of a P-51 diving too close under a bomber and the vertical stabilizer was neatly sliced off the Mustang.

JG54_Arnie
01-31-2005, 07:05 AM
Yes, the DM is fabulous in this SIM. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I love the way this SIM rewards proper deflection shots. They can be devastating when hitting the right place. Makes it a lot more usefull to try deflection shots instead of the easier hanging on a 6 o clock and wasting ammo. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The way that just flying around is fun in this game, especially on mountainous terrain! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ECV56_MagOO
01-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Skip bombing on hard surfaces... bombs skip over runways but not over dirt or grass, BTW great way to put bombs inside hangars!
S!
Pato

ECV56_MagOO
01-31-2005, 07:41 AM
-Taking off as waist gunner in a B-25 ,watch the plane go up, raise flaps then gear, feels like looking out the window of an airliner as it takes off!

-Fully working dials on the 110Ô┬┤s engine cowlings

-The sense of speed as you go lower and closer to the ground, IMHO unmatched to this day.

-When a bomberÔ┬┤s crew bail, only jump the ones that are still alive!, always enjoy watching them go down helpless with a gunner or two dead in his turrets.... talk about inmersion

-Ballistics & DM models, truly unique

-Ground search lights that actually give your position away...

keep em coming!
S!
Pato

Amon26
01-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Just the other day, I noticed figher aircraft with drop-tanks will release them prior to a dogfight.

you sly boots.

Tiger27
01-31-2005, 07:50 AM
No hit box says it all for me, Ive been able to clip the ground with a wing only to bounce up and regain flight, tipping V1's with a wing is a nice trick as well.

Jester_159th
01-31-2005, 08:01 AM
- The empty cartridges spilling out of the wings as you fire.

- The recoil of the guns making the plane roll backwards when on the ground without brakes applied.

- The rolling of the carrier in poor weather. I'll often set up missions with bad weather purely for the challenge of trying to land on them.

-The range of planes we have flyable. I don't think there ever has (and possibly never will be) another sim with such a range where all have been approved by the developer.

-Everything else that's been mentioned before (but I've still not seen that rolling pencil in the TB-3)

ECV56_MagOO
01-31-2005, 08:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
The rolling pencil on the navigator's desk in the TB3.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes the overmodeled uber pencil, priceless http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Bearcat99
01-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Oh... and the planes sliding off the deck if the carrier makes a turn at too sharp an angle with too much speed.

civildog
01-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Hellcats do? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Shows how much I play PF!

Tipo_Man
01-31-2005, 09:49 AM
1. Radiators on all planes change their size when you open/close it. That includes planes like I-16 when radiator is hardly seen.

2. Parts of the exploding planes are actually parts of the exact model you made explode! I was astonished to see a propeller with the 14 blade radiator fan behind it after I exploded a FW-190A5. Note that this fan is completely hidden and cannot be seen from outside!!!

papaboon
01-31-2005, 11:20 AM
If you bail out over water and you are floating in your little yellow life raft! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Then enemy ships begin to shoot at you, isn't that just peachy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Raptor_20thFG
01-31-2005, 03:35 PM
After the 109 that snuck up on me peppers me the sound of my cockpit gauges breaking as I bleed to death in my cockpit

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LEBillfish
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
A6m2-n Sea plane....Bobbing in the water, CAN if careful be beached, pontoon rudder WORKs...

Really makes you want the Ar-196A-3, PBY, JU-52 sea-plane, MBR-2, etc....

Wouldn't downed pilot rescue missions be a blast...get within 20' and downed pilot loads up, would add to coops and DFs a lot being the action after the action.

SeaFireLIV
01-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Dunno if this was mentioned...

1. The way aircraft wheels roll independently on takeoff/landing(doesn`t sound like much, but just this detail made me realise that this was something special when I first saw it).

2. When you`re custom skinned plane hits the ground and explodes, you still see little recognisable bits of your design on the wreckage.

3. Each aircraft has INDEPENDANT markings.

4. Oh yea and the spent cartridges. I was just under a Huri IIB firing at a bogie and it was priceless watching the shells rain in front of me as the wingie opened fire. Such detail.

SlickStick
01-31-2005, 05:19 PM
I vote for the ever-changing Billfish avatars as one of the "little things that mean allot". http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

"CLANG!" as the iron skillet "Forum Weirdo Tamer" gets tossed into the back of Slick's head. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Hehe, j/k but it seems everything's been mentioned. Quite a summation of d*a*m*n*e*d awesome details this game has in it.

One thing I've been noticing lately, although I'm not quite sure what it is. But, every now and then I see a lighted circle show up in the ocean like a shell hitting or bomb exploding underwater and it makes a bright circle that shimmers for a sec and disappears.

I don't know what it is, but it looks cool! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

AFSG_Jedi
01-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Did any body mention the sound of the engines on the aircraft. My fave..the 109. It just sounds so cool. And Fly-by's of the 109z are quite the ear candy. Not to forget the rest because they all sound very cool.

Also like being able to DL other player Pilot & Aircraft skins during online games. Nothing like melding ones own image onto the pilot to complete the game immersion. (& Make your friends jaws drop in amazement.)

All the pretty lights... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Adjusting mixture to 120% at higher altitudes causing that black smoke & and unhappy engine.

The opening of some canopies and adjustable seats

Sunrise sunset

& Just becasue It can't be praised enough. That fabulous damage model. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Treetop64
01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
The way the ships list to the side after being struck by torpedos.

"Treetop"

tralkpha
01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
1 everything everyone else mentioned
2 overspeed of constant speed prop and oil loss all resulting from hits to the spinner on such equiped aircraft
3 rpm drop when running on one mag - you can simulater a real mag check
4 all the little placards in the cockpits

BurningBeard
01-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Lightning strikes in the Ocean.

madmonkrevenge
01-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Being able to fly through a Japanese Temple Gate at 1000kph!

Everything about the game, the damage model, the water, the ability to easily make your own skins, all so cool; being able to fold and unfold your wings in mid-flight! BTW, I don't see men on my ships, how do I do that?

johnt
01-31-2005, 11:16 PM
I love it all... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

If I remember correctly, go to your config file within the PF folder, and add '3dgunners=1' Save the config file and voila.

Poogie67
02-01-2005, 12:55 AM
--The ability, through careful rudder & aileron management, to roll all the way
down a runway on one wheel in a tail dragger. This can sometimes be taught by
old time agro pilots as a means for tricycle gear pilots to learn rudder
control.

--The sound flak makes when it hits the bottom of your plane. It rattles my
nerves every time.

--The beauty of snapping screen grabs of sunsets and sunrises, with mists in the
valleys. I have over 1100 IL2 screen shots in MyPictures folder...and I take
more every day.

--The thrill of the unknown when flying "full real" into enemy airspace. It
makes my spine tingle just typing the words.

--The flight physics being modeled so well that you must fly tactics appropriate
to your ride, or die ignominious sim-death. Reading "Fighter Combat" by Robert
L. Shaw can actually benefit this sims experience through tactics that actually
work when applied proficiently.

--TrackIR3Pro!

FoolTrottel
02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jester_159th:
(...)
- The recoil of the guns making the plane roll backwards when on the ground without brakes applied.
(...) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, watch the tailwheel flip 'round when the plane starts to roll backwards....

Extreme_One
02-01-2005, 12:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEBillfish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NTESLA:
...and by the way LEBillfish, thanks for your #7 remark, those Sound Effects were done by me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pity they aren't applied to online bases...very nice. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should have a word with your mission-designer - that can be done... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

civildog
02-03-2005, 10:40 PM
The first time I saw it I didn't believe it, but I really like how the rear gunner in the IL2 will fall out of the plane if I've killed him and his pilot makes some violent manuever. Very nice little touch.

It was especially impressive when i had one of those dead gunners smack into my plane as I passed under it, tearing off half a wing.

Bearcat99
02-04-2005, 07:50 AM
The first time I saw it I didn't believe it, but I really like how the rear gunner in the IL2 will fall out of the plane if I've killed him and his pilot makes some violent manuever. Very nice little touch.

It was especially impressive when i had one of those dead gunners smack into my plane as I passed under it, tearing off half a wing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now thats a new one on me.

EnGaurde
02-04-2005, 09:11 AM
happened to me, swear to god.

qmb, 4 superforts, i ki84c

gubbery run on one target, subsequent descending right hand turn to catch the rest.

all of a sudeen uncontrolable roll to starboard.

watched the track, saw a little free faller skysurf, and watch as i turn a perfect arc into his little blue bod.

Yog_Shoggoth
02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
-Skimming one wing along the water.
-Hiding in cloud cover.
-Taking out an 84 in a dauntless.
-Using the 'View Objects' option to help me paint models.
-The a-20.
-High speed belly landings.
-Waiting for the patch.

Fliegeroffizier
02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Detail is remarkable in this Sim...truly the BEST ever! I picked up on a few things I hadn't noticed thanks to this thread.

Speaking of Little things that mean a lot..., I hear that in the forthcoming Patch we are going to get not Just gas, but also oil and hydraulic-fluid smells as well...

Just a rumor...

Snootles
02-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Not a little thing, but actually rather big:

The ability to belly-land.

In all other sims I've played, brush the ground at any speed and you instantaneously go nuclear. It's nice to have a DM that appreciates subtleties.

MGBurrows
02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spudinsky:
I'm fairly new to PF, so I'm sure there are still a lot of goodies I've yet to discover. But some of the gems that have already had me going "Wow!" are:

The high altitude vapour trails

CHEM trails, you mean. We're poisoning the enemy from the air! We'll get 'em all one way or the other!
Ya hear that, Fritz you *******!
IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL YER ALL DEAD! ALLA YA! ER'VRY CONFOUNDED ONNA YA!

(And they're coming to take me away,
Ha-ha, Ho-ho!
To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time!)

MGBurrows
02-04-2005, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snootles:
Not a little thing, but actually rather big:

The ability to belly-land.

In all other sims I've played, brush the ground at any speed and you instantaneously go nuclear. It's nice to have a DM that appreciates subtleties. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I became expert at bellying-in in Jane's WWII Fighters. You must have been flying Microsoft...

SeaFireLIV
02-04-2005, 04:46 PM
I goota agree with Snootles.
For me IL2 is the first sim I ever flown where you could actually gauge the lie of the land and crashland (and not so smoothly), yet survive.

Although to be fair, it could be done a little in EAW too, but not as realistically.

MGBurrows
02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
The large variety of flyable aircraft.

The detail I can go to when creating my bases in the MB because of all the goodies I can put on the ground like revetments and sandbag lines.

The mostly very realistic flight models.
(I just discovered that landing a P-47 at its IRL landing speed of 120 MPH is not a good idea in Il-2...)

Are my most favored aspects of Il-2, but I could go on...

MGBurrows
02-04-2005, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I goota agree with Snootles.
For me IL2 is the first sim I ever flown where you could actually gauge the lie of the land and crashland (and not so smoothly), yet survive.

Although to be fair, it could be done a little in EAW too, but not as realistically. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't much disagreeing. He's pretty much right. Il-2 is better than Jane's in most aspects, that included.
However, I ploughed into the snow in crippled aircraft quite often in Jane's and that's why I've never had a problem doing it in Il-2 ... I had so ... much, uhm, COUpracticeGH at it.. ahem.

SlickStick
02-04-2005, 05:10 PM
ooh, speaking of Jane's. Here's a couple of older screenies. Notice the dead pilot in the spit crash landing. Of course, the FW kill was the norm back in the day for a Spitfire pilot. hehehe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Pardon the magenta colors, as this happened when taking screens in 32-bit color in Jane's.

http://img230.exs.cx/img230/5991/dead23ac.jpg

http://img230.exs.cx/img230/4702/killfw23qw.jpg

SlickStick
02-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I found a couple more neat things tonight. The dive angle indicators on the side window of the Stuka. At least, I think that's what they are.

Also, having recently increased my graphics settings for land detail, I noticed that the frozen rivers on Winter maps reflect the shadows at the shoreline like unfrozen rivers.

I thought that was pretty cool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

-HH-Dubbo
02-05-2005, 02:50 AM
Brake levers work on most aircraft.
Toe brakes work on 190s.
The oxygen flow indicator flickers when your pilot has his mask on.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mjollnir111675
02-05-2005, 12:06 PM
But whats the graphic for the pilot with ox mask on?
To me it would atleast show up as an inverted V in the bottom of the screen.
cuz depending on how it fit one would still see it.
I always have wanted a lil chunk of mask riding up on my nose during a maneuver!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
EDIT: And maybe eyes blurring from tears for whenever that might happen??(not a pilot dont know but it is logical it might happen??)If so= http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! Hurry before GEE DUB YA blows up the world!!

Mjollnir111675
02-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Bump.. for notice of ideas...?

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! Grand Master Flash Wants em too!! C'Mon Brother Man Cool Cat Guys!!

Mjollnir111675
02-05-2005, 02:27 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif &lt;H3ll who knows will a future Track Ir notice when a person blinks their eyes???)

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! &lt;SIGH!!&gt;

ploughman
02-05-2005, 02:40 PM
The other day I shot myself down because I was too close to a Fw-190 when I pumped him full of 20mm Hispano fire and my ammunition exploding on the Fw's airframe fatally damaged my own engine. Glass jawed Merlins. Doh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Sturm_Williger
02-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Another DM related one - the ability to catch your prop on the ground, getting "Engine inoperable" message, but still be flying, looking at the bent blades in front of you.

The other night I had a ship fire shells into the water near my Gladiator at alt 10m or so - distinctly had the plane rock as the waterspout splashed it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Yog_Shoggoth
02-05-2005, 09:44 PM
You can fly through the open space at the tail of a jap carrier. Your wings will get shorn off though. Try it in a corsair, through the hole closest to the middle.

Saunders1953
02-05-2005, 10:10 PM
The cannon/mg ricochets off the armor of a Sturmovik. Very impressive.

Indianer.
02-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Ok I dont know whether this has been mentioned but when u fill 109 (prolly happens with others too) with 25% fuel look at the guage when taxiing. It shows more than 25% due to the aircraft not being level. When u take off and are in level flight it shows the correct amount. Now that impressed me.

I wonder if when u run out lifting the nose will give u an extra few secondes in the air? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEBillfish
02-06-2005, 08:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Indianer.:
Ok I dont know whether this has been mentioned but when u fill 109 (prolly happens with others too) with 25% fuel look at the guage when taxiing. It shows more than 25% due to the aircraft not being level. When u take off and are in level flight it shows the correct amount. Now that impressed me.

I wonder if when u run out lifting the nose will give u an extra few secondes in the air? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one!...never noticed will look for that.

Triple_AA
02-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Changeable weather.

Well not really, but close.

I built a mission based out of Hawaii, witht he weather set for "clear."

While flying to the north eastern tip of the island I suddenly found my self surrounded by big white fluffy clouds. A short while later I was back in clear skies again as I returned to base.

A very nice touch and very appreciated.

Ralph.B
02-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Watching impressive groundbattles with static cameras is annother thing not mentioned before. Destucted surroundings and destroyed trucks, cars, artillery and tanks after the battle. Exposions from different size and intense after destoying groundunits depending from loaded cargo or ammunition.

Parachutes of bailed out pilots, that can actually damage your plane or even bring you down, if you fly into it.

Freycinet
02-06-2005, 11:07 AM
- a couple of details not mentioned yet:

- fuel dripping out of the plane on the ground when it has come to a stop after benig hit in the tanks.

- sirens sounding faintly when you fly over an enemy city.

actionhank1786
02-06-2005, 10:16 PM
God i wish i could think of some to add to the list.
Anyone notice the Landing Gear indicator on the Il-2.
The little black and white stripped metal strip that lays down when the gears in.
speaking of, i've never seen the Gear drop.
God i'd love to sneak up on a zero, light him up, and see his gear drop

Cajun76
02-07-2005, 07:40 AM
The ability to lose airspeed with the nose down, even without using flaps.

Find a nice, level spot, and land a TB-3 externally from the front, ideally 45 or 315 degrees. Watch the gear flex as the a/c comes down.

The DM. Holes don't just appear, you can see the angle of the round hitting by the entry and exit hole.

Get close to stall speed in a Corsair on final, and abuse the throttle. Ensign Eliminator, indeed.

I was skeptical about the sim when I first got it. Learning the new controls from CFS2 was annoying. But the fist time I came in for a landing in a Bf-109, and heard the 'charger whine as the engine was throttled back made me forget about CFS2.

The prone guy in the nose of the He-111.

The ability of the brakes to 'grab' too hard and flip you.

Temp and airstrip surface (tundra, grass, decking, concrete) affect takeoff roll, acceleration, etc.

Hendley
02-07-2005, 07:58 AM
1. The way that if you hold that dive for a bit too long in the Stuka, you can tear off one of your wheels. Did that once, online. Heard a ker-klunk when I pulled up -4 inches above the ground (sweating hard), and discovered the missing wheel upon landing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2. The way that smoking He111 engine that you've been nursing all the way home suddenly sputters and dies just when you're lining up to land.

3. The instruments located on the near side of your engines in the Me110, outside the cockpit.

Oilburner_TAW
02-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Bringing home an IL-2 that no one would believe is even remotely airworthy.

actionhank1786
02-07-2005, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oilburner_TAW:
Bringing home an IL-2 that no one would believe is even remotely airworthy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
you say it like it's a challenge! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Only the mechanics can make an il-2 un airworthy, and that's only when they take off the engine

Prangerman
02-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Flying on the Zekes v Wildcats server on HL, I was shot down in my A6M5, but bailed into the water. A close inspection of myself as I floated showed on my upper left sleeve, a patch with the Japanese flag. Then I noticed that on my back by my right shoulder was what looks like the hilt of a samurai sword. Boy, am I a warrior...what attention to detail!