PDA

View Full Version : combat flaps and patchi question

deskpilot
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
In the tempest, I was wondering what are the speeds you can apply combat flaps in combat so that you gain an advantage ( which i presume is in turning) without jamming them?)
also, if I have "pacific fighters" are there any patches I need to download or will that have them all?
Thanks

stathem
09-10-2008, 05:15 PM
You can apply Combat flaps at all speeds without jamming them.

If you see 510mph+ on the clock in a dive it is well worth dropping them, it might help you avoid breaking the aeroplane.

Usage wise, if you get below ~160mph in the trun (which you shouldn't ever do) then they can help you though it. Likewise at the top of a loop or vertical zoom climb, so long as there are no enemies around. But generally the idea with a Tempest is to stay fast (apart from if you absolutely have to go one-on-one with an A-series FW) and dropping flaps is always going to slow you down and lose you energy. If you meet a Bf and the fight starts to get slow - run; and call for help.

If you try to engage in prolonged stall fights you're likely to burn the motor out - since you need full power to get maximum turn performance out.

idonno
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM
If you want to fly online you'll need to buy IL2 1946.

If you just want to fly PF off line you can see if you have the latest update here; http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php