PDA

View Full Version : Selling the game

owlwatcher
10-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Dear Oleg
Was wondering if you could cater your games and have them displayed and running at civil aviation museums around the world.
Am planning alittle trip to Martin Airport in Baltimore MD USA. During the war they produced the B-26, It would be nice if your game would be available to fly the game at the museum with a B-26.
Just an exsample.

Just thought it would be a great marketing tool.

clint-ruin
10-17-2004, 12:59 AM
This has come up before.

Really, the people doing this stuff should be UBI. Shouldn't be up to the developer or the russian publisher to flog their game to people over the ROTW market.

Since you are probably going to get absolute and complete silence from UBI, why not make some inquiries yourself? I'm sure that it could even be a decent line to say, skip the entire PC part entirely - why not a video compilation of some of the more realistic movies out there? Why not even make some very simple ones, illustrating say, what a bookshelf, vic, etc formation look like, and how they work in combat? Just get someone with tvout to record it, and ask if you could add it to an audiovisual display - not even permanently, just as something it cycles through. S:TW/M:TW and Rome: Total War were great for visual illustrations of just what the hell dry textbooks are talking about in terms of tactics, and PF could work the same way.

I think Olegs recent message on poor sales and piracy has really brought home just how thin the ice is under the PC sim genre. Even microsoft, who have an absolutely dominant position and can flat out buy shelf space and reviews, have decided to get out of the combat sim genre. Every little bit helps.

owlwatcher
10-17-2004, 01:28 PM
These are just idea's to simulate sales.
I know who should do what etc... .

This game should be sold in a package with all the tools.

Stick ,thottle,petals . Track IR and game.
Packaged to load and play.

This would make it so much faster & easier to learn and play.

clint-ruin
10-17-2004, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by owlwatcher:

This would make it so much faster & easier to learn and play. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I think Hunter82 was mentioning trying to bundle it with systems himself. One thing you can probably count on is UBIs total lack of interest in any small scale promotion like that, so by all means, if you can think it up, go for it :>

WWMaxGunz
10-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Well, Oleg does make the occasional trip here and there showing IL2 off.
Always gets good effect, even with the bikini girls!

Neal

Obi_Kwiet
10-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Oleg needs to get rid of UBI.

Philipscdrw
10-20-2004, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by owlwatcher:

This would make it so much faster & easier to learn and play. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that many complete newcomers would pay that much for a flightsim. They should start with PF standalone and a $15 joystick and progress from there. I don't think many people would pay $200 for a game they'd never played before, and those who have experience of flightsims would have their own equipment already.

GT182
10-21-2004, 09:18 AM
I'd love to see Oleg make the trip to Mid Atlantic Air Museum's WWII Weekend next June and show the WWII vets and everyone else there his products.

I think Hunter82 and CrazyIvan will be there next year so maybe we can set something up with Oleg's help and get him there too. If that's possible. Hmmm, sounds like a good winter project.

And now to get a bigger wheelbarrow to get my stuff there.

GR142-Pipper
10-22-2004, 01:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clint-ruin:
This has come up before.

Really, the people doing this stuff should be UBI. Shouldn't be up to the developer or the russian publisher to flog their game to people over the ROTW market. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You're absolutely right about that.

...(snip)...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think Olegs recent message on poor sales and piracy has really brought home just how thin the ice is under the PC sim genre. Even microsoft, who have an absolutely dominant position and can flat out buy shelf space and reviews, have decided to get out of the combat sim genre. Every little bit helps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As one who has a fair amount of experience in developing and marketing software, I absolutely have to wonder how a complete blunder like having the golden master available for open download could possibly happen. It was absolutely inexcusable for something like this to happen. In my company, people responsible would be fired on the spot, accident or not. While it's true that the air combat sim market space isn't large, it's large enough to sustain itself. However, nature does not smile on self-inflicted mistakes of this nature.

Friendly advice to Oleg and company....You absolutely have to key code your software unless you want to be ripped off 24/7. It's the only way you can hope to achieve and maintain profitability.

Lastly, I enjoy your products and can appreciate your predicament.

GR142-Pipper

GT182
10-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Well, I for one would rather meet Oleg and shake his hand than anyone from UBI. It's his sim and he should be proud to show it off. Time permitting that is.

owlwatcher
10-23-2004, 09:34 AM
If you ask some times people help
http://www.magnum-pc.com/

CH Flight Kit with Pacific Fighters
Kit includes CH Fighter stick, CH Pro Throttle, and CH Pro USB Pedals. Bundled with Pacific Fighters

Bearcat99
10-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Wow it seems as though great minds think alike. My Ops officer and I are tryig to work out that very thing at the Dulles Udvar Hazey musem.

owlwatcher
10-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Be nice to go to a musem see a plane and fly it also.