PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever use no cockpit or external views?

AcidBath86
08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
This poll has been done in the past, but here it is again...

I never use no cockpit but occasionally use external views (which has become a nasty crutch that I need to rid myself of). How about you?

idonno
08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Can we have an - I would rather throw my computer off a very tall building and never even look at another flight sim again, than fight in no cockpit view or from an external view - option?

"I never use either...period!", just doesn't quite say it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by idonno:
Can we have an - I would rather throw my computer off a very tall building and never even look at another flight sim again, than fight in no cockpit view or from an external view - option?

"I never use either...period!", just doesn't quite say it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Elitist.

TinyTim
08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
If only there was no F6, and I'd consider flying externals on much closer to reality than having them off.

idonno
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:

Elitist.

Thank you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Chris0382
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I occasionally turn of the cockpit because the CH Products joysticks are a bit akward at pressing the diagonals on the hat switches. The should revise these so the diagonals are more responsive for viewing.

thefruitbat
08-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Ha ha ha, this old favorite. Once upon a time this would of been a 20 pager before lock, now probally not.

Anyway,

The easist way of doing a speed check is cockpit off, as it gives you TAS, which are what top speeds are given in.

When i started playing this game, i flew cockpit off, but haven't done now for about 2.5 years, can't even do it now! If i'm flying offline, i leave externals on say 50/50 of the time. This is because it really gets on my goat when you can hear a fight going on somewhere, but no one is willing to share. By flipping to there externals you can work out where they are on the map.

As TinyTim said, if there was no F6, i think most people would be fairly happy to leave externals on, as sometimes the eye candy you are denying yourself cockpit locked, is still amazing for a game this age. However, F6 while not completly ruining 'externals on', online, does a fairly good job, imo.

fruitbat

Blindman-
08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Perhaps a better poll would be to see if anyone cared that others fly with no cockpit on. To me this is more of a skill mixed with preference issue.

I personally would like to see open coops and dogfights allowing the player to chose for themselves, but as it is players are used to using this to determine difficulty level/skill level of others and hence would avoid joining. I fly with the cockpit on now (before I bought a head tracker I used no cockpit and map icons to find my way around) but I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with players in the same mission flying without the cockpit on. I know that if they are top skilled players they would not be using said options, and if they were low level players using them I would welcome them doing so to help level the playing field. And if a top player took advantage of this I doubt it would lead to so significant of an advantage that I would care. I say that if we were so concerned about the tiny bit of advantage it would offer then we should be much more concerned with the huge advantage that the head trackers offer.

(forgive me if these statements ruin the nature of your thread)

AcidBath86
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Blindman-:
Perhaps a better poll would be to see if anyone cared that others fly with no cockpit on. To me this is more of a skill mixed with preference issue.

I personally would like to see open coops and dogfights allowing the player to chose for themselves, but as it is players are used to using this to determine difficulty level/skill level of others and hence would avoid joining. I fly with the cockpit on now (before I bought a head tracker I used no cockpit and map icons to find my way around) but I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with players in the same mission flying without the cockpit on. I know that if they are top skilled players they would not be using said options, and if they were low level players using them I would welcome them doing so to help level the playing field. And if a top player took advantage of this I doubt it would lead to so significant of an advantage that I would care. I say that if we were so concerned about the tiny bit of advantage it would offer then we should be much more concerned with the huge advantage that the head trackers offer.

(forgive me if these statements ruin the nature of your thread) Good points.

I was hoping to avoid mud slinging here. My point is to simply gather a metric on the current population, which is really no point at all.

I got a trackIR not because I needed the tactical advantage to boost my kill ratio (which BTW on HL is significantly less than 1), but because it provides a really immersive experience. I see any of the view options in the same light: if it enhances your experience/enjoyment then it's a-OK (and it's not my business to tell you otherwise). The use of such features are not cheats, IMO, unless they are used somehow when a server forbids their use.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I prefer cockpit on, but my squad m8s fly open pit servers so you are really at a tactical disadvantage if you leave the cockpit on in those servers (it's a different gameplan entirely) so I fly no pit there, but on my own, it's closed pit.

F16_Neo
08-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I never use no-pit or ext except for track replay... like for guncam!!! (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/F16_Neo/Guncams/?action=view&current=080701_spits_xvid.flv)

Chris0382
08-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Take the Spitfire forinstance. Its hard to see just below the windshield.

Stingray333
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I used to fly with no cockpit quite a bit when I first started playing, I felt that I was always losing sight of the planes I was chasing.

Now that I have luckily gotten a bit better, I always fly with the cockpit on to see the slip indicator and other cockpit gauges. By flying better I have usually been able to keep track of targets, flying without the cockpit now I find harder...

Originally posted by F16_Neo:
I never use no-pit or ext except for track replay... like for guncam!!! (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/F16_Neo/Guncams/?action=view&current=080701_spits_xvid.flv)

HA HA! That video is awesome!

Chris0382
08-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I tell ya what. There is nothing more realistic than going into a ground combat mission against ground vehicles with the cockpit on. The immersion is pretty awesome.

TheCrux
08-06-2008, 07:38 PM
As far as flying and fighting online; Cockpit ON, Externals OFF. Now, offline I fly the same, but will occasionally use external views just to admire the graphics eye-candy this sim does so well.

mortoma
08-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I only have used no cockpit to test top speeds of aircraft because it gives TAS and I'm to lazy to figure TAS myself. Other than that I NEVER use it when fly for combat.

I have used externals but not to help in combat, like to check six or anything. Externals are really cool to hear the sweet sound of the engines now that we have the sound mod. Hitting F3 to do a flyby is really sweet for most planes now. They sound like the real McCoy.

mortoma
08-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
I tell ya what. There is nothing more realistic than going into a ground combat mission against ground vehicles with the cockpit on. The immersion is pretty awesome. Does that mean you think that using cockpit in air combat is unrealistic?

WTE_Galway
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
You can turn the cockpit off ????

Bearcat99
08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I like externals... this sim is too goodlooking not to have them..

I_KG100_Prien
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm primarily a "full switch pit on" guy. But from time to time I like to turn externals on and enjoy the eye candy.

I also have fun going into "arcade" servers from time to time to just go in and slug it out in a fur ball.

There are some good pilots that fly arcade- They have mastered their element for sure.

Same goes for the "full on" crowd.

idonno
08-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

Crazy isn't it?

It boggles the mind to consider what ever possessed Oleg to include such an option. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

ImMoreBetter
08-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I use externals occasionally.

Usually after I have been shot down, or when playing casually.

Blindman-
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Something to think about:

About three weeks ago I went from "no cockpit" and full icon map to "cockpit always on" and no map icons. At the same time I started using Track IR. Today I am much better in a dogfight than three weeks ago. Did I have a huge jump in skill in those weeks or is the Track IR responsible (and hence a much more dominanant factor than cockpit on vs off)?

Xiolablu3
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by idonno:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

Crazy isn't it?

It boggles the mind to consider what ever possessed Oleg to include such an option. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play Crysis on very hard and The Sims on the highest difficulty, can I join the 'super-cool' club too? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

JtD
08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Where is the "I use both" option?

Externals are a key element of fun for me.

LEXX_Luthor
08-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Yep, both. 5 years ago this would be a flame thread.

I always use [USED to use] cockpit on, as I was always more Realistic. Beercat99 always flew cockpit off, and I always pasted him but good, because he was Arcade, although I never gave him a pasting like he got when he poasted a Kit Carson article. Then one day, Bear started using cockpits all the time because he became Realistic. On the day of reality, I level bombed in StrikeFighters, which has no level bombsight, and I had to turn the cockpit off. Although I did turn it on again, later, I had become Arcade.

edit...Used to use cockpit on, now both.

Henkie327
08-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Arcade or realistic, I don't care.

I will use what I can use what the host has turned on, except for padlock because in this game it's not really good padlock.

Also when the cockpit can be turned off, it's great to fly in no cockpit all the time in combination with TIR. Maybe in the beginning you don't know where you look, because you have almost no orientation. But after a little while, you are used to it. Then you know exactly where you look, and then it's just great. Special in close in dogfight!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Plus you can get incredible shots that you can not get with cockpit on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LEXX_Luthor
08-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Also, I enjoyed flying from the nose gunner position of He-111, at treetop level, over the terrain. That's kinda in between.

Chris0382
08-07-2008, 04:37 AM
The arrows also appear when you turn the pit off allowing you to briefly see were your enemy and wingmen are.

SeaFireLIV
08-07-2008, 04:47 AM
Cockpit on always of course. How am I supposed to stay in the air if there`s no aircraft around me?

Bewolf
08-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I prefer cockpit on, but have no problem strolling into no cockpit servers at times.

Then again I am with Xio here, playing Crysis and other games on hard and world in conflict without any icons. I do not do it because it is harder or because of the often better AI, but I hate, just hate icons and other artifical gibberisch on my screen. I simply go for immersion. And that unluckily is most often achieved though the "hard" settings.

idonno
08-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

I play Crysis on very hard and The Sims on the highest difficulty, can I join the 'super-cool' club too? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Sorry, but no you can't.

I put in a good word for you at the meeting last night, but I was out-voted. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

stiboo2
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
just so you know we do exist...i'm one of group who fly with no cockpit!

I have flown previous combat sims with cockpit on, and always fly FSX in the virtual cockpit, I have been flying IL2 since the day the demo was released, but for some reason I never moved on to 'full realism'. I think one of the reasons is that i spend most my time designing missions and campaigns and play testing them instead of just flying/fighting.

So i fly with no cockpit becuase thats how i enjoy this 'game' and i get just as much pleasure from mission building as I do flying, of course we are all free to enjoy IL2 anyway we wish!

But i have been promising myself TrackIR for years, and it's my birthday coming up, so i would then try cockpit on at least once!

Regards

Simon

www.bigwing.net (http://www.bigwing.net)

------------------------------------------------

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?"

- Jane Austen

x6BL_Brando
08-07-2008, 09:26 AM
I tried cockpit off a couple of times but couldn't master it - I just felt completely disoriented. I dropped the key-bind to it in the control panel, in favour of a more useful setting, so now I can't use it even if I wanted too. Ditto air padlock and external padlocks - the only one I can use is ground objects from the pit.

I enjoy locked pit, no icon play - but I usually find myself playing externals on, reduced icon coops with my friends.

B

buzzsaw1939
08-07-2008, 11:46 AM
MMMMM...It looks like it all boils down to the difference between gameing or simming! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

BWaltteri
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Cockpit always on for me. And I like external views, they're good dramatization although they could be spoilers too.

WOLFPLAYER2007
08-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Both

AcidBath86
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
My personal thoughts on external view usage -

The Good: You are leading a coop and just took off and waiting for others to do so, so you "step outside" to enjoy the magnificent view and beauty of your flight taking off.

The Bad: You scout around, looking for sneaky enemies or where that @%#&! airfield is when your aircraft is badly smoking.

The Ugly: uh...no cockpit? (IMO, of course)

WTE_Galway
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Bewolf:
I prefer cockpit on, but have no problem strolling into no cockpit servers at times.

Then again I am with Xio here, playing Crysis and other games on hard and world in conflict without any icons. I do not do it because it is harder or because of the often better AI, but I hate, just hate icons and other artifical gibberisch on my screen. I simply go for immersion. And that unluckily is most often achieved though the "hard" settings.

Same here.

I tend to fly with cockpit on, speedbar disabled, HUD disabled, no icons and radio chatter turned off.

Not to make it harder but because I hate the video arcade look of text on the screen. Its just a personal preference thing.

Its easier to pull off effectively in some planes than others.

copet
08-08-2008, 12:57 AM
How do you guys shoot with externals? Are there ones with crosshairs or something? The only external I have bound gives me a sort of side-left view of my plane, and doesnt turn when I do.

WTE_Galway
08-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by copet:
How do you guys shoot with externals? Are there ones with crosshairs or something? The only external I have bound gives me a sort of side-left view of my plane, and doesnt turn when I do.

No, they use the external view to check to make sure no-one is sneaking up on them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The fly by view is used for this a lot.

In a full real server if you find someone without a wingman silly enough to flight straight and level for any length of time and are devious enough you can sneak almost up their tail pipe before hitting the trigger.

In a normal dogfight server they will see you coming in external view a mile away.

By the way moving the mouse should change where you are looking in external view.

Chris0382
08-08-2008, 04:37 AM
I find many times my windshield is full of oil splatter and yet I can keep on fighting but not if I cant see. So turning off the pit allows me to finish mopping up the enemy.

KRISTORF
08-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Externals to check skins and to watch if I get killed, never while 'live', always cockpit on

Xiolablu3
08-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by copet:

If you press F2 you can use the mouse to look around your plane

F6 will padlock a nearby enemy

f7 will padlock nearby enemy ground

Just to clarify, I like all settings, depending on what IO want from a game, a quick blast, a fun game, a simming experience.

All have their merits and they are all enjoyable. Play which ever you feel like at the time.

I statred on the 334ths server with cockpit off, full icons, gradually moved towards more realistic settings. I personally dont like flying with no cockpit any more, I dont like the big arrows more than anything, but I might still go for a blast on a shoot em up server for some fun.

Play what you like http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bremspropeller
08-08-2008, 05:08 AM
I use externalls all the time - at least offline.
Online's a different thing, however.

I'm totally addicted to F3 - could press that one twice a second http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

JtD
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
F3 ftw!