PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Typhoon in game (UP2.0)

FlatSpinMan
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Just a quick question.
In UP2.0, is the Typhoon a completely new 3D model or a 'frankenplane'? Just asking as I tried it tonight and it looked really well done.

There's some great stuff in there that I haven't tried at all - I was pleased to find the early Hurri's and navalised variants.
Does anyone know what performance differences are modelled in them? I noticed that one of the 1940 variants seems to be fuel-injected.

Wish I had time to play this game more these days.

AndyJWest
05-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Asking about mods on the Ubi forum, FSM? - I hope the moderators don't catch you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The Typhoon seemed to be a bit buggy to me - though I've a feeling that this was addressed in an UP patch. I'd imagine by past precedent that the FM has been 'adjusted', but your best bet is to check on the UP website. There does seem to be a distinct tendency for all the FM 'adjustments' for mod planes to result in performance increases compared to stock IL-2 aircraft, though with the Tiffy there is nothing to compare it to directly anyway.

danjama
05-12-2010, 11:00 AM
It's definitely a frankenplane, I remember reading it when it was first released. But it does look good.

Ba5tard5word
05-12-2010, 01:26 PM
There is a data set for Il2Compare that gives you data for all the planes in UP, ask for it at the UP site since guys like you won't let us post it here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

In any case that way you can get speed performance data, etc.

mortoma
05-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
There is a data set for Il2Compare that gives you data for all the planes in UP, ask for it at the UP site since guys like you won't let us post it here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

In any case that way you can get speed performance data, etc. But there's a post over at UP where someone showed that some of the data in that version of IL2 Compare is hosed. Supposedly at least one plane has incorrect data, the I-16 type 24 I think? I wonder what else is wrong about that version?

TheGrunch
05-12-2010, 10:52 PM
It's only the turn charts that are wrong for some planes...they're easy to spot, since they would have you believe that the aircraft takes around 45 seconds to perform a 360 degree turn at best turn speed.

AndyJWest
05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Can anyone explain how the data for IL2 Compare is arrived at? From my tests, it isn't usually wildly wrong, but no indication is given as to its source. I'd be a lot happier to accept it as a measure of performance if I knew where it came from.

TheGrunch
05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
The data was gathered by Gryphon using Infomod, I think. It's a program that causes the game to dump the FM data for an aircraft under the current conditions. Sometimes it is inaccurate, usually for aircraft with pylons of some kind.
I confess I'd prefer they used LesniHU's autopilot and DeviceLink, myself, but asking someone to do that for around 500 flyable aircraft is a bit unreasonable.
As for the Typhoon, I'm not a big fan of it...it was initially a frankenplane and it still has a few graphical bugs at least on my machine, flickering around the edge of the propeller spinner and such. The bubble canopy variant looks better because it doesn't have a cobbled together frankenplane canopy like the version with the early hood.
It used to have LOD problems, where it always had massive rocket rails from a certain distance but I think those are gone.
I think that the damage model is a bit strange, as well, I've seen the wings shot off and the cannons stay floating in place and things like that.

AndyJWest
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
...dump the FM data
Without access to the FM source code, data is meaningless. Actually, even with it, you would probably need some fairly sophisticated analysis to arrive at the sort of figures that IL-2 Compare gives, I'd think. Has anyone ever tried to verify the figures independently? I'm not saying it is necessarily wrong, but given the credence it gets in arguments about FMs, it would be nice to have independent correlation.

TheGrunch
05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I agree. Lucky for you the source code for the entire game is available to cheeky b*****ds the world around if they know where to look and can understand Java. The FM data is available to the modders at the various sites through means which should not be disclosed. As you can see they have both pieces of the puzzle.
Whether or not they are doing the right thing with these pieces is another matter that I'm not about to judge myself.

thefruitbat
05-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...dump the FM data
Without access to the FM source code, data is meaningless. Actually, even with it, you would probably need some fairly sophisticated analysis to arrive at the sort of figures that IL-2 Compare gives, I'd think. Has anyone ever tried to verify the figures independently? I'm not saying it is necessarily wrong, but given the credence it gets in arguments about FMs, it would be nice to have independent correlation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

andy, why don't you go to the up site, and all will be revealed. You could even have ago yourself if you were really that desperate.

its done through infomod.

data is not meaningless if you know more about it... well, not anymore than the original stuff by Youss...

FlatSpinMan
05-21-2010, 05:26 AM
If it's is a frankenplane then it is pretty well done. I can see some glitches, especially around the landing gear covers but it's mostly great.
Don't know why but I've never gone for the performance debates - I just fly whatever it is as it is.

danjama
05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
If it's is a frankenplane then it is pretty well done. I can see some glitches, especially around the landing gear covers but it's mostly great.
Don't know why but I've never gone for the performance debates - I just fly whatever it is as it is.

Yeah, me too. I don't get all this talk of being 3/kmh too slow at sea level apocalyptic shiiiit.

Metatron_123
05-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I've said it before: In real life pilots knew fewer details about relative performance stats than people on this forum do.

The main thing in sims, is that the relative balance is maintained: Me-262 is much faster, but turns slower in comparison to a Mustang etc etc.

Waldo.Pepper
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Metatron_123:
In real life pilots knew fewer details about relative performance stats than people on this forum do.

...and ...

Originally posted by Metatron_123:
the relative balance is maintained

FANNED!

Metatron_123
05-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Nice one, nevertheless I didn't say or imply that there shouldn't be such a balance.