PDA

View Full Version : I think I know why he was retired. :)

Pirschjaeger
03-03-2007, 06:59 AM
UFO science key to halting climate change: former Canadian defense minister

Wed Feb 28, 1:04 PM ET

A former Canadian defense minister is demanding governments worldwide disclose and use secret alien technologies obtained in alleged UFO crashes to stem climate change, a local paper said Wednesday.

"I would like to see what (alien) technology there might be that could eliminate the burning of fossil fuels within a generation ... that could be a way to save our planet," Paul Hellyer, 83, told the Ottawa Citizen.

Alien spacecrafts would have traveled vast distances to reach Earth, and so must be equipped with advanced propulsion systems or used exceptional fuels, he told the newspaper.

Such alien technologies could offer humanity alternatives to fossil fuels, he said, pointing to the enigmatic 1947 incident in Roswell, New Mexico -- which has become a shrine for UFO believers -- as an example of alien contact.

"We need to persuade governments to come clean on what they know. Some of us suspect they know quite a lot, and it might be enough to save our planet if applied quickly enough," he said.

Hellyer became defense minister in former prime minister Lester Pearson's cabinet in 1963, and oversaw the controversial integration and unification of Canada's army, air force and navy into the Canadian Forces.

He shocked Canadians in September 2005 by announcing he once saw a UFO.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Deedsundone
03-03-2007, 07:12 AM
The global warming is done by aliens.I got a copy of The Arrival as proof.

Pirschjaeger
03-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Nah, global warming s the result of methane farts from cattle.

Wait a minute,....... cows come from space don't they? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ViktorViktor
03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Anyone here who jests at the expense of the former Canadian defense minister, must be an ALIEN himself !! (I am not jesting, by the way.)

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

WWSpinDry
03-03-2007, 09:42 AM
http://www.spinland.biz/smileys/tinfoilhat.gif

Pirschjaeger
03-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ViktorViktor:
Anyone here who jests at the expense of the former Canadian defense minister, must be an ALIEN himself !! (I am not jesting, by the way.)

Or a Canadian http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

joeap
03-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ViktorViktor:

Or a Canadian http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't he the guy responsible for unifying the forces and making our soldiers, sailors and airmen all wear puke green uniforms? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Copperhead310th
03-03-2007, 11:32 AM
OMG!!! ET is teraforming our planet! quick get the Reeses Peacies!!!

DuxCorvan
03-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Yes, I want the US government to release the alien secrets for teletransport, photon beams, time travel, telekinesis, hyperspace trips, Jedi swords and eternal life, that they cunningly hide instead of... using them.

I specially want Donald Rumsfeld to stop building the Death Star, and to make something useful, like spreading the technology of those redneck aliens who maim cattle, to use it in our barbecues.

joeap
03-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Dux, been awhile, agree 100% now that the weather is getting a bit better here I'd like to BBQ too.

fordfan25
03-03-2007, 12:31 PM
the truth is out there.......be sure

Warrington_Wolf
03-03-2007, 12:43 PM
How can technology from the Lerche stop global warming and famine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif?
Joking aside I believe in intelligent life on other planets and that they may be more advanced from ourselves, having the idea that we are the most intelligent life in the universe is very arrogant in my opinion.
I also believe that some E.Ts may know of our existence and quite likely our history, customs and culture. This isn't because of some stupid conspiracy invented by a nutter with nothing better to do, but because since the first radio transmission we have been unintentionally braodcasting into the cosmos.
Since that first radio message, we have broadcast music, news, military information, public service announcements and much more besides.
If a planet was 67 light years away and had sufficient technology, they would just be hearing that World War 2 had started, likewise is a planet was 45 light years away they would be hearing The Beatles for the first time (probably experience Beatlemania too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).
I don't believe in any of this nonsense about global government involvement with E.Ts because evidence would have surfaced before now, and I don't mean poor quality photographs that are out of focus and blurred, I mean real undisputable evidence. I believe that even if intelligent life knew of our existence (and had the means to come to Earth) they wouldn't because we the human race cannot fully accept other members of our own species let alone another species, we see it in things like racism and xenophobia, there are more it is just that I won't have enough space to write them all down.

P.S. Has anyone ever thought of using the Lerche in a "Roswell" type scenario in IL-2, it has always reminded me of those 1950s UFO films.

Charos
03-03-2007, 02:58 PM
The only quotation's in the article attributed to Hellyer are the following:

"I would like to see what (alien) technology there might be that could eliminate the burning of fossil fuels within a generation ... that could be a way to save our planet,"

"We need to persuade governments to come clean on what they know. Some of us suspect they know quite a lot, and it might be enough to save our planet if applied quickly enough,"

In the military its common practice to Back Engineer "alien" technology.

Im shore there are Illegal aliens in every country in the world - but there not eating green cheese.

darkhorizon11
03-03-2007, 05:31 PM
they do have some good chronic in Canada, perhaps thats the connection with all this? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pirschjaeger
03-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, the weather is really wierd this year. There must be a lack of aliens.

I live in a city that rarely sees snow and this time of the year is t-shirt weather but this morning we have about 10cm of snow and it's still snowing.

Anyway, I agree with what Warrington said. There must be other life on other planets but I doubt there are too many more intellegent than ourselves. I say this because there should have been no intellegent life, if any life at all, after the big bang, if the big bang theory is correct.

If we used our planet as a model we see mass extinctions almost as if they are part of nature's schedule. They have been quite consistent.

Then, if you consider relative speeds, our best knowledge of the fastest speed is the speed of light. At that speed you won't get far in the universe do to the vast distances between stars. We are a long ways from achieving light speed and if we had it we could only visit a handful of stars and nothing outside our galaxy. And even if we could visit one other galaxy, being that there are billions of galaxies, what's the chances we'd find the right solar system in the right galaxy that would have life?

Like Warrington said, at 67 light years away, our radio signals from WW2 are just arriving. At this low speed, light speed, our signals have passed only a handful of stars.

As for there being alien life the chances are very good. But it's doubtful that many are advanced. As for aliens knowing about us I think it's very doubtful, even with our slow moving radio signals. Even if they were passing by what are the chances they'd be scanning the same frequencies we use?

Viper2005_
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Why would aliens want to visit earth?

Think about it for a minute. If you're a life form clever enough to build a spacecraft capable of crossing the vast distances of inter-stellar space, the chances are that you wouldn't be that interested in the company, and given the resources required to travel such distances, you probably aren't doing it for the resources either...

So why would they bother?

Pirschjaeger
03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/FritzFranzen/purplebikini.jpg

Why not? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Taylortony
03-03-2007, 08:50 PM
If everyone and everything in the UK switched all the energy we use off for one year and used NONE.............. China would make up the difference in 18 months at its present rate of growth..... makes turning your TV off instead of leaving it on standby a piffling nonstarter..

Myself I have 3 bins one for Garden waste, One for plastics, one for the rest and a bag for paper all provided by my local authority....

I throw all my rubbish in the everything else one and recycle nothing......... Un green you may think, well I don't, I think what I am doing is helping our future generations........

100 Years from now when the world is out of oil, they will need to find a source of materials for producing plastics etc, I am a firm believer that all that rubbish we have pushed into landfill sites will be excavated and by then the technology will be in place and sufficently advanced as to allow these materials to be fully reprocessed and remanufactured, unlike the technology at its present state.... Therefore my plastic bottles will be a renewable and prized resource for the generations to come after me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The likes of paper, wood, ferrous metals will of degraded down leaving none ferrous materials and plastics to reprocess, Mother Nature will of started the sorting process for us.

Pirschjaeger
03-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi TT,

as you know I live in China. I see wasted energy everyday. At present China is the #2 pollution contributor followed by Russia, India, and Japan. We all know who the #1 is but that'll change in the future.

But what many people don't realize are the hidden factors that cause pollution such as economic competition and globalization. For China to continuing development it must burn coal for energy, much the same way the western nations did until just recently.

The vast majority of our polluting the nvironment is fueled by greed for money.

Global warming is supposed to happen and is part of a normal cycle. During Eurpoes geo-history the Med sea has dried up no less than 20 times. The UK has been under sea, desert, and tropical many times. The problem now is our greed for wealth is speeding up the process.

I can imagine future wars started under the excuse of environment and pollution while the reality will be profit, kinda like using WMDs as an excuse.

In order to stop the acceleration we'll have to make changes that effect almost every aspect of our lives.

heywooood
03-03-2007, 09:38 PM
yes - It'll be as easy as getting morons to quit smoking cigarretes.

Given all that is known about the harm smoking does (both scientifically and obviously) you still see new smokers start the habit everyday.

What makes these global warming adjustments any different?

One of the hardest things for a person to change is the way he or she lives their life.

A person can see the harm that smoking does to their lungs and to their health but because grampa smoked every day and lived to be a hundred, they think they can do it too. Grampa had to drag the oxygen bottle around everywhere he went and spent the first 5 or 6 hours coughing up unspeakable things but hey, thats cool.

So if we can't get people to see that smoking needs to go away - that it harms the smoker and the people around him, what makes you think we can get everyone to park their suv and put up solar panels on their roofs?

Ride a bike or walk to the store or other close by destination - instead of driving.

Limit their home electricity use to 4 hours a day or less.

Encourage the companies they work for to invest in solar energy and reduce their lighting and light fixture usage.

When do you think people will begin to see that there is money to be made in green energy generation and eco-friendly business adjustments? tomorrow?.....

Good luck.

The same corporate morons that brought you the Cadillac Escalate and the Dodge Diaper and the Ford Exclusion will see to it that big oil keeps raking it in long after the point of no return.

Chr1st - there are morons (too many of them) that think global warming is just a liberal hoax and that smoking is no more harmful for you than tooth paste.

You wanna talk about fast food and soda pop?
errmmm I mean obesity and diabetes?

Sorry to seem negative on this - I do have hope that people will wake up and make the changes - I just been hearing the alarm going off for a while now and I can't help but see the snooze button keeps getting pushed.

Pirschjaeger
03-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Heywood,

it's hard to be positive about something so negative. You are right.

I'm a smoker with 1001 excuses to boot. While reading your post I realized I care much more about the environment than I do about my health. Interesting but odd.

Green Energy is very profitable but not as profitable as carbon energy. The blockages come from the top. Although the leadership pretends to be concerned it is the little people that are actually making the effort. In most cases the leaders have to simply sign papers to make a difference, but they don't. The little people actually make a physical effort by recycling and other ways.

The cost of 1 MW of energy is about 1 million euros. This figure is presented as "too much" but stop and calculate the cost of the war in Iraq. Divide the war costs by 1 million and you'll see how many MW of free sustainable enery was wasted. Were's talking thousands of MWs.

Geo-thermal energy is much cheaper and even easier. To add, unlike wind energy, every location on earth is good for geo-heating and airconditioning.

Solar energy is a bit tougher because there are only 3 countries that produce the silicon feedstock needed to make the rods to be cut into wafers(Germany, Japan, US). Currently they are only allowing about 10% of world demand to be produced in order to control market prices. The worst part: the material to produce silicon feedstock is everywhere and more than we can possible need.

So, there you go, three sources of free energy that can't compete with the greed for money.

Morteiin
03-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Paul Hellyer speaking.
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-563283007010763992&q=Paul+Hellyer

bun-bun195333
03-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I have a cat named Pocus who likes to turn over garbage cans.

heywooood
03-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Pirsch - I come across a little high handed and I know thats not cool.

I don't smoke but I did have another addiction. It took years to get out from under that rock but I did it. Want to know what it was? - it rymes with 'Spokane'

So I know how difficult it can be to take the knowledge that something is detrimental to you life, both physically and socially, and then change your life to get rid of the behavior.

But think about that - something is hurting you personally - and yet you can't stop doing it. How does that bode for us in this environmental situation?

Most people can't even understand that changing the surface temperature of the ocean and raising it just one degree Farenheit on average, can have critical effects on the planetary weather conditions and food supply.

By altering rain patterns, cloud formation and dry zones worldwide, we run the risk of irreversible damage to food production and fresh water supplies.

That does not even take into consideration the meltdown going on at the polar caps.

That ice doesnt just sit there doing nothing but provide a home for big white bears and penguins...they are the engine that drive the convection currents of both the wind/weather and the oceans of this world - they are vital and they must not be altered.

Laugh if you want to but it is what it is.

Until people realize that the earth is not that big and that, because there are so many of us, we really ARE affecting its health - we will run out of time to make a reversal.

As far as corporations standing in the way of these changes we need to be making right now?
These idiots don't realise that supporting a failed energy program is far less profitable that going in a totally new direction...a new direction means we are all brand new customers and need to start completely from ground zero.

There just has to be a PILE of money in that.

knightflyte
03-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Damn illegal aliens. I wish they'd just go back where they came from.

heywooood
03-04-2007, 02:13 PM
come to think of it...'smoking' is a perfect analogy for this enviromental warming problem.

we have to quit 'smoking' in our smoking cars and our smoking factories and our smoking homes.

Our 'smoke' is doing damage to the plantary lungs...both the atmospheric ocean and the actual oceans are filling up with it.

Now we have to quit smoking or face severe changes in our quality of life, such as it is.

Could you quit smoking now?

Viper2005_
03-04-2007, 02:14 PM
The cost of 1 MW of energy is about 1 million euros. This figure is presented as "too much" but stop and calculate the cost of the war in Iraq. Divide the war costs by 1 million and you'll see how many MW of free sustainable enery was wasted. Were's talking thousands of MWs.

The Watt is a unit of power, not a unit of energy. 1 MW = 10^6 J/s.

Now that might mean 10^6 J being expended in one second. But it could equally be 1 J being expended in 10^-6 seconds.

The chances are that when you set off a firecracker you're putting out lots of watts (though not very many joules).

People talk about power and energy as though they are the same thing. They are not, and the misunderstanding is unfortunate, since like all misunderstandings it tends to cause trouble further on down the line.

MB_Avro_UK
03-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

To say this my sound as if I'm a heretic...but there is an existing body of science that states that Global Warming is caused by the astronomically recent activities of the Sun... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Charos
03-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Morteiin:
Paul Hellyer speaking.
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-563283007010763992&q=Paul+Hellyer

Interesting. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

He makes several references to a book by "Corso".

I assume its the book:
"The day after Roswell"
by Col.Philip.j.Corso (Ret)

I bought that title when it was published 10 years ago in 1997 - Its an interesting read.

heywooood
03-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
Hi all,

To say this my sound as if I'm a heretic...but there is an existing body of science that states that Global Warming is caused by the astronomically recent activities of the Sun... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

The sun has recently been emitting carbon and other particulates in the earths atmosphere?

Call Carl Sagan - this guys onto something...no wait, he's dead.

Old_Canuck
03-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread back on topic but do you think the Environment Minister might have been retired because he was near his present age of 83?

bun-bun195333
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I plan to make money off both sides of this thread. I'm selling carbon credits and alien technology.
Ice cream, get your tootsie fruitsie ice cream...
Marx Brothers, A Day at the Races

Pirschjaeger
03-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:

The Watt is a unit of power, not a unit of energy. 1 MW = 10^6 J/s.

Now that might mean 10^6 J being expended in one second. But it could equally be 1 J being expended in 10^-6 seconds.

The chances are that when you set off a firecracker you're putting out lots of watts (though not very many joules).

People talk about power and energy as though they are the same thing. They are not, and the misunderstanding is unfortunate, since like all misunderstandings it tends to cause trouble further on down the line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right but electricity is turned into energy. People don't realize just how much energy we currently create with fossil fuels could easily be replaced with electricity so the common thought it that electricity doesn't do all that much. Well, most, if not all energy fueled by coal and oil got be harnessed using electiricity.

Interesting point. If 1 million Euros buys a constant 1 MW of sustainable electricity then the 2007 US military budget of 532 Billion dollars could buy over 400,000 MW.

That's just one country.

Does anyone have an idea of how many MWs the world is currently using?

Pirschjaeger
03-05-2007, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
Hi all,

Depends on where that body of scientists get their funding. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fact is global warming is normal. Where we come in is that we've accelerated the processes.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Pirschjaeger
03-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
Sorry to hijack this thread back on topic but do you think the Environment Minister might have been retired because he was near his present age of 83?

He was the Defense Minister and he's been retired for a while.

Worf101
03-05-2007, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Viper2005_:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/FritzFranzen/purplebikini.jpg

Why not? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about "glbal warming" but I'm gittin' kinda hot right now...

Danke...

Da Worfster

flyingloon
03-05-2007, 08:03 AM
basically with this global warming thing...

we're all doomed.

anything we do now is bolting the stable door after the horse has p*ssed off over the hill, never mind just outta the stable. doesn't do any harm trying to reverse it, but ultimately, do you really see us putting an end to the digital age, having companies act responsibly and people stop taking those cheap flights for a weekend break thousands of miles from home?

bun-bun195333
03-05-2007, 10:30 AM
First there was Silent Spring - all the birds were going to die. Then there was the Population Bomb - everyone was going to have to sleep standing up. Then there was The Coming Ice Age - miles of ice above our heads. Now we have Global Warming - molten lead running through the streets.

The temperature of the earth has varied since it began and it will continue to change. The sun's output changes. Mars is warming up and we only have two small solar powered vehicles there.

I guess people need something to worry about.

AKA_TAGERT
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Global Warming is REAL
Man causing it MYTH (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/4601333.html)

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Warp factor 9 is much faster than the speed of light. Accordingly the universal demographic is much more diluted than it used to be.

And to address the idea that there MAY be other life forms, just likely not as intelligent as ours due to the indication of mass extinction...well, I would say that a wiser, smarter life form may also have developed a way to circumvent (or at least greatly diminish) the possibility of mass extinctions. At least in their own little world.

Besides, at warp 9 they could simply outrun any killer asteroid. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif