PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply Problem

IZT
12-06-2004, 04:46 AM
Ok im not sure if its a real problem at all so heres the situation, due to my new graphics card mainly the Geforce 6800GT upgrade, i had to get a new power supply, i got a Verudium 530 Watt. In installed it and everything runs fine. ITs a trust worthy power supply, even has LIFETIME Warranty with 2 years 1 on 1 exchange, no doubt very reliable. But when i on my computer sometimes theres this buzzing sound coming from the PSU? Why is this? even on some occasions, when the computer is not turned on, this buzzing sound exists, everything runs fine but i just want to get rid of this sound, it can be irritating some times.

Maple_Tiger
12-06-2004, 04:48 AM
Open the case, and check to see if there is a bee inside. If there is, kill the dammed thing.

Vengeanze
12-06-2004, 04:49 AM
I just bought a new PSU too and experience that noise too.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fan. It's a ball-bearing one and is solved by a gentle kick to the side of the comp.

DuxCorvan
12-06-2004, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vengeanze:
I just bought a new PSU too and experience that noise too.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fan. It's a ball-bearing one and is solved by a gentle kick to the side of the comp. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And remember, be gentle! Most warranties don't cover furious kicks to a working PC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Coinshooter
12-06-2004, 06:18 AM
If it's still under the 15 day or whatever store warranty take it back and exchange it for another one.
Chuck

Athosd
12-06-2004, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IZT:
Ok im not sure if its a real problem at all so heres the situation, due to my new graphics card mainly the Geforce 6800GT upgrade, i had to get a new power supply, i got a Verudium 530 Watt. In installed it and everything runs fine. ITs a trust worthy power supply, even has LIFETIME Warranty with 2 years 1 on 1 exchange, no doubt very reliable. But when i on my computer sometimes theres this buzzing sound coming from the PSU? Why is this? even on some occasions, when the computer is not turned on, this buzzing sound exists, everything runs fine but i just want to get rid of this sound, it can be irritating some times. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does it appear that the sound originates from a mechanical source such as a fan bearing? Or is it an electrical hum?

Either way if it is erratic (as opposed to just being due to high revs on the fan at startup) you may want to get a replacement. Bearing noise in fans is never good - the unit won't be working to capacity, will fail sooner than expected and the sound is bloody annoying. For preference always get ball bearing rather than sleeve bearing units (sleeves are generally cheap and nasty).

In the case of an electrical hum, not resulting from an obvious mechanical source - rip it out and take it back straight away.

Cheers

Athos

DuxCorvan
12-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Some powerful transformers usually make that electrical hum, which is not a symptom of malfunction. But I guess a PC PSU should not be that conspicuously noisy.

Vengeanze
12-06-2004, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
Some powerful transformers usually make that electrical hum <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This and then reading your avatar-text "Sexperten" makes me go *ahem*!

http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~larsvsol/assets/images/db_images/db_*****1.jpg

DuxCorvan
12-06-2004, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vengeanze:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
Some powerful transformers usually make that electrical hum <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This and then reading your avatar-text "Sexperten" makes me go *ahem*!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

And remember not to switch 125V gadgets in 220V sources... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Athosd
12-06-2004, 07:30 AM
Some powerful transformers usually make that electrical hum, which is not a symptom of malfunction. But I guess a PC PSU should not be that conspicuously noisy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactamundo - the transformer in a PC PSU will produce an audible hum if you listen closely, it should not be an intermittent loud buzz. However I'd say its a fairly safe bet that the trouble IZT is experiencing is due to a fan bearing.
Which is still a return to the shop type issue - its not advisable (to put it mildly) for non-sparkies to take down a PSU and replace fans.

IZT
12-06-2004, 07:37 AM
No guys im not planning to take apart my PSU i Don't Dare! Ok the thing is not a fan...the fan is QUIET, i think its mroe of an electric buzzing thing like you can get sometimes from those power adapters...i doubt its a malfunction or defect in the PSU

Vengeanze
12-06-2004, 08:33 AM
To continue on my serious note.

It might be one of these guys:
http://www.gremlins.com/garage/a_gremlin.jpg

9th_Spitin
12-06-2004, 09:21 AM
I would take it back and exchange it, if the new one does the same thing, try a different brand. As we all know, there can be defects in a great product.

DuxCorvan
12-06-2004, 09:26 AM
My impression is that it is -I'm afraid- just a noisy item. Try other brand, but it sounds like you're having to live with it.

IZT
12-06-2004, 09:54 AM
nah on second thoughts its not abd at all sound has stopped in awhile:P

Troll2k
12-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Just because your computer is turned off does not mean the power supply is.Most new powersupplies supply standby votages to the motherboard while the machine is off.Most new motherboards have an led on them to let you know of this condition.If your power supply has an on/off button on the back try that and listen.If not try unplugging the power cord and listen.If you here a buzz call the beekeeper.

Transformers hum but usually not loud.If it is very audible it usually is because the transformer is not secured to the pc board tightly or the pc board itself is not secured.

Taking it back and exchanging would be in order.

Maple_Tiger
12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Find any bees yet? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif