PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Gunsight Question

GunnyHighway99
11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Everyone,

I just started playing closed cockpit, and I noticed that the Spitfire has a gunsight with a range dial (for lack of a better term) underneath. In all of the versions of the Spitfire that I have flown, it is always the same:

The number on the top part of the dial is a "3" with a line underneath and the bottom part of the dial says "Range 100 yards." The bottom part of the dial also has a line, and it lines up pretty much with the "3" on the top part of the dial.

This leads me to believe that the range on the gunsight is 300 yards.

1) Is this correct?

2) What does the command "Toggle Gunsight (Auto)" do?

3) What do the commands "Increase Sight Distance" and "Decrease Sight Distance" do?

4) Do these commands have any bearing on the Sptifire or any other fighters?

5) Does the range on the Spifire gunsight have anything to do with weapons convergence distance?

In regards to guestion 5), I suppose that the gunsight lets you know how far they are, and the convergence distance is already set. I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks!!

crucislancer
11-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I don't believe that you can adjust the sight on the spitfire, it's only the P-51D-20-NA and the P-80 that have the K-14 sight. I could be wrong, I don't fly spitfires much.

As far as the range of the sight, I was under the impression that the sight is rated at 100 meters for the wingspan of a Fw190. in other words, if you have a 190 in your sights, and his wings tips touch the sight ring, he's at 100 meters.

This is different from convergence, though, since you can set your convergence however you like. Some folks don't feel comfortable getting right up close, and prefer higher convergence distances. Set it for whatever feels comfortable to you.

crucislancer
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Oh, I should have answered your specific questions:

1) Nope, see my previous post.

2) Toggle gunsight auto is for the P-51D-20-NA and P-80, which both have the K-14 gyro sight, as well as the bomb sight in some bombers (B-25 for example). For the gyro gunsight, the toggle will choose between the gyro piper and the regular gunsight. It kinda works like the gun piper on modern a/c, but not as advanced.

3)the increase and decrease sight distance commands will make the piper larger or smaller, since the best way to use the sight is to fit the diamonds on the piper to the wingspan of the a/c you are pursuing.

4)The spitfire has a fixed gunsight.

5)Nope, see my previous post.

Here is write-up of the K-14:

Manual for the K-14 gunsight (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=289)

SlickStick
11-05-2007, 11:50 AM
For a very helpful gunnery manual from WWII, click the link in my sig and download the Bag The Hun.pdf file http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

horseback
11-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by GunnyHighway99:
Everyone,

I just started playing closed cockpit, and I noticed that the Spitfire has a gunsight with a range dial (for lack of a better term) underneath. In all of the versions of the Spitfire that I have flown, it is always the same:

The number on the top part of the dial is a "3" with a line underneath and the bottom part of the dial says "Range 100 yards." The bottom part of the dial also has a line, and it lines up pretty much with the "3" on the top part of the dial.

This leads me to believe that the range on the gunsight is 300 yards.

1) Is this correct? No.

The cockpit is the same for everyone, and the gunsight in the Spit is not animated (ie, visibly changed like the K-14 sight in the Mustang D-25 and P-80). The depiction would be of a 'standard' setting for the Spit, but of no actual relevance to the player's settings.

You set the convergence for your aircraft in the 'Arming' or 'Armament' section of your mission brief. In the QMB, if you click on the button to the extreme right of the top line, you get the same options, along with the choice of skins and bomb delay. The Default setting is 500m, a bit longer range than most of us can be effective at. Generally, the preferred convergence is between 200m and 300m.
2) What does the command "Toggle Gunsight (Auto)" do? In the German fighters and the razorback P-47, the Toggle Gunsight command moves the pilot's point of view forward and to the right in order to center his view through the gunsight. In most other aircraft, it moves his 'head' forward about eight inches or approximately 21cm. This useful for keeping the crosshairs centered, and for giving you a slightly different POV when tracking your target or opponent as he tries to hide behind your canopy frames...I use it all the time.
3) What do the commands "Increase Sight Distance" and "Decrease Sight Distance" do?

4) Do these commands have any bearing on the Sptifire or any other fighters?

5) Does the range on the Spifire gunsight have anything to do with weapons convergence distance?

In regards to guestion 5), I suppose that the gunsight lets you know how far they are, and the convergence distance is already set. I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks! The commands "Increase Sight Distance" and "Decrease Sight Distance" are specific to the K-14 sight on the P-51D-25 and P-80, and they don't change the convergence that you entered before starting the mission; they change the range at which the 'ring of diamonds' matches the wingspan of your selected target (the K-14 had a series of German aircraft listed on the dial that you could select according to wingspan) so that you can more easily judge when they are at your convergence.

cheers

horseback