PDA

View Full Version : About the top speeds

FinnBird
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi all!

I hope this hasn't been discussed too many times before, but I'm just wondering:

I was troubled by the fact that I couldn't ever reach the official top speed with the Hellcat (-5)or the Corsair (D).

I then made a simple mission with the AI (ace) flying just a straight course.

What I found out is puzzling really. The Corsair could make only 517 km/h at 6000 meters - should be 670 km/h, says the data in the PF menu.

The Hellcat could put out just 461 km/h at 7000 meters - it should zoom around at 613km/h.

I made them go for a 5 minute acceleration, the speed became quite constant within 5 minutes. I tried myself once more, and reached similar speed levels. There was no heating problems yet.

So they're missing about 25% of the speed? What's wrong - if anything? I haven't "tested" any other planes - do they behave in simliar ways?

I had complex engine management off, but is there any settings (other than trimming) that might affect?

Not whining about the Flight modeling here, enjoying the game, but just curious.

FinnBird
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi all!

I hope this hasn't been discussed too many times before, but I'm just wondering:

I was troubled by the fact that I couldn't ever reach the official top speed with the Hellcat (-5)or the Corsair (D).

I then made a simple mission with the AI (ace) flying just a straight course.

What I found out is puzzling really. The Corsair could make only 517 km/h at 6000 meters - should be 670 km/h, says the data in the PF menu.

The Hellcat could put out just 461 km/h at 7000 meters - it should zoom around at 613km/h.

I made them go for a 5 minute acceleration, the speed became quite constant within 5 minutes. I tried myself once more, and reached similar speed levels. There was no heating problems yet.

So they're missing about 25% of the speed? What's wrong - if anything? I haven't "tested" any other planes - do they behave in simliar ways?

I had complex engine management off, but is there any settings (other than trimming) that might affect?

Not whining about the Flight modeling here, enjoying the game, but just curious.

Blackdog5555
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Yes, your missing alot....make sure that you are clean, no ammo, 25% fuel, check trim, and make sure you set the three stage blower to third stage. You will make 613TAS. just barely. I had the same problem. The only US plane that doesnt make its Top Speed numbers as posted is the P-38 AFAIK. good luck..BD

Fennec_P
04-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd venture a guess you're doing something wrong. The top speeds are more accurate than that.

Make sure radiators are closed, you are using 110% power, you are reading TAS and not IAS (use no-cockpit view to see TAS), you use appropriate supercharger settings, you are using WEP (if available). You have to have complex engine management enabled.

You say you are using AI? The AI will not attempt to reach it's top speed, and I don't even think you can set FMB waypoints for maxiumum speed. Do the tests yourself.

Most of the aircraft top speeds are quite accurate, it seems. It's rare that there are huge descrepancies.

FinnBird
04-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Ok, major thanks for replies.

Does this mean then, that I lose some speed/power when the complex engine management is off?
Yes, those were TAS speeds, with closed radiator, with 110% throttle and water injection on.
I thought the AI would try the speed I set him to fly, so, if I put him in a Hellcat with a 600km/h waypoints, he would fly that speed if the plane can put it out.
But he can't, or..?

And is there a three stage blower in those machines? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

What about prop pitch settings? I recall reading (somewhere) it's automatically set to a most favourable position, when the complex engine management is off.

Gotta try flying again, I'll report in later...

FinnBird
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Wo-hooo, done with some testing.

I hit the 660 km/h mark with the Corsair and squeezed some 610km/h out from the Hellcat. The gap must be about my bad trimming skills - any tips for that?
Obviously the blower setting is very crucial. I somehow thought it would be set automatically when using simple engine management.

The Hellcat almost leaped forward when I tuned the blower. man, that engine sang high and loud http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wonder how many newer PC-pilots (like me) understand how much can be lost without understanding all these complex engine management settings...

Thanks for advice!

Tully__
04-07-2005, 04:09 AM
F6F-5 is actually quite a bit too fast, see screenshot below, noting that the rated top speed was achieved with only approximately 90% throttle:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/F6F5speed.jpg

JG53Frankyboy
04-07-2005, 05:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FinnBird:
Wo-hooo, done with some testing.

I hit the 660 km/h mark with the Corsair and squeezed some 610km/h out from the Hellcat. The gap must be about my bad trimming skills - any tips for that?
Obviously the blower setting is very crucial. I somehow thought it would be set automatically when using simple engine management.

The Hellcat almost leaped forward when I tuned the blower. man, that engine sang high and loud http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I wonder how many newer PC-pilots (like me) understand how much can be lost without understanding all these complex engine management settings...

Thanks for advice! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should read the README file that is lokated in your PF instalation