PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophone set and range of usage. BUG?

DennyMala
05-24-2005, 03:30 AM
I've noticed that with my previous hydrophone set (the first upgrade available, the one placed on top of the bow section right ahead of the deck gun), the usage was limited to immersion times. This is modeled properly as the device is not plunged into water when I'm surfaced; I only get instanct comtact signatures when a big wave wash my sub putting my stern underwater.

Now I've installed the Balkon upgrade that places the hydrophones array righ under the bow keel, thus allowing them to be always submerged and potentially working.
The problem is that when I'm surafaced the hydrophones are not receiving contacts and this seems to be not realistically modelled.

Anyone knows anything about this?

cueceleches
05-24-2005, 03:40 AM
Maybe the noise at surface is still too loud for the hydrophone to "hear" anything clear? Even if it´s fit on the keel...

Akula_971
05-24-2005, 03:48 AM
Uboats would often dive to 50 metres or more to listen

DennyMala
05-24-2005, 06:42 AM
How the hell can surface vessels use their hydrophones then?

U-49
05-24-2005, 07:32 AM
How the hell can surface vessels use their hydrophones then? They're mounted underneath their keels, that's how.

DennyMala
05-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Exactly my point.
Now I have the Balkon Gerat hydrophone array that is mounted underneath the bow keel but still I can't get it to work when I'm surfaced.
This can be good for balancing but it's surely unrealistic.

S VIIC_41
05-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Aren't they always mounted at the bow along the keel?

S VIIC_41
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Hmmm... maybe the destroyer hydrophones work differently?

Maybe it has something to do with that water-filled dome? That might protect against noise interferring with it.

Still, if that was all the difference, they should work on a stopped u-boat.

Meh, I dunno.

Slim1951
05-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Just a guess...but destroyers would have a much deeper keel (draft?) and therefore would be in a deeper submerged position which would minimize surface noise like waves hitting the boat. Uboats floated higher on the water and didn't have as deep a keel.

panthercules
05-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Slim1951:
Just a guess...but destroyers would have a much deeper keel (draft?) and therefore would be in a deeper submerged position which would minimize surface noise like waves hitting the boat. Uboats floated higher on the water and didn't have as deep a keel.

I don't think that could be it - according to u-boat.net the draft on a type VIIB is 4.74m, which IIRC is about equal to or perhaps even a little deeper than most of the destroyers I remember looking at in the recog manual

DennyMala
05-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Anyone has in game clues?