PDA

View Full Version : PF Online...Game modes?

Drunken_Moose
02-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi!

I went trough extensive offline practice, and now, I think I'm ready to get my *** kicked online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But what are the different game modes? I tried briefly yesterday, I had to take off from a carrier (which I had never done before) and suceeded after browsing trough most of the control settings screen.

I took of, but didn't find anyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif The map doesn't show much information (friendies, foes, etc.) and tags/display icon aren't shown either. Are those server configured?

What's a quick tip to find people and get quickly into the fight?

Thanks!

Raptor_20thFG
02-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the A** Kicking the best place to find us online killers and whiners is on hyperlobby look around I am sure you will find a link

Welcome

Drunken_Moose
02-21-2005, 03:29 PM
LOL, no, I meant while in game. I already know about Hyperlobby, great tool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And thanks for the welcome !

Tully__
02-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Depending on server settings, you may need to be fairly handy at navigation to find your way to the mission goal area. The briefing will usually tell you if there are ground targets or ground defense goals for one side or the other. If there are, you'll usually find the action somwhere in that area. Pay attention to the map coordinates given in the briefing (they show at the top & right edges of the map) and to notifications and requests for assistance from other players in chat.

VW-IceFire
02-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Two major game modes: Dogfight and COOP. The COOPs run like normal single missions except you choose your plane and you have other people flying with with (and alongside AI).

Dogfight servers work differently. You can spawn at any time, choose from all or limited types of aircraft, and so on. Many dogfight servers run additional software that make them scripted so destroying a certain number of enemies (one blue or red team) or destroying X number of tanks results in a win for your team (or a loss if the enemy does it first).

The rest is all settings dependant. Some servers are "easy" while others are "hard".

Troll2k
02-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Minimap and icon settings are all set by the server.

In a large dog fight map you may fly around for 30 minutes and not see anyone.

ImpStarDuece
02-21-2005, 10:14 PM
If you fly on Hyperlobby and right click on the server you want there is a pop up box that displays the difficulty settings. Apart from the basic dogfight/ coop distinction servers come in three basic flavours, although they do pick and mix a lot.

'Full Switch' or 'Full Real' type servers are exclusively cockpit on, icons limited to friendlies or very limited range, no friend or foe identification, no externals, no padlock. Its you in your 'pit taking on the world. They may or may not have your position on the mini map and/or the speed bar. In other words, most of the difficulty settings are almost maxed out.

In my (somewhat limited) experiance some of the better and more popular servers of this type are; Greatergreen, F-16 dedicated, Warclouds, Wildcats Vs Zekes. The Gorz (a regular forum denizen here) also runs some VERY tight servers, competition grade aerial warfare that gets you sweating bullets http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The next step down in terms of realsim is the 'scripted dogfight' servers which usually have cockpits on, limited padlocks and externals. These are a little more action oriented than the previous type. They are more likely to have icons running, speed bar, map position and the like. Its much easier to have better situational awareness in these servers as you can externally scan the sky for bandits.

Like 'full switch' servers they usually have well defined plane sets and mission objectives. UK Dedicated is the best example of this thought there are some other excellent servers running. A good balance if your not up to flying balls to the wall, running scared style of thing

The final variant online is the 'free for all dogfight'. These are the 'Air Quake' of IL"; any plane you want, cockpit off, padlocks enabled, long range red and blue icons. Pure mayhem, get airborne and find a target, any target. Some have complex engine management, some dont, most (usually) have normal ammunition damage settings but some of the more hectic servers even go in for the whole 'unlimited fuel, unlimited ammo, arcade damage' style of thing. Trollville 3.04 is a well run example. Cockpit off, full externals and padlock, complex engine management, any plane. I flew Troville 2.04 exclusively for about 4 months when the community switched to PF because I couldn't get my greedy little hands on PF for a while. It has taken me the last 2 months to get my hand back into flying full switch though.

My advice; fly the servers that have settings equal to or even a little tougher than those you play offline. Sounds strange but it works. This way you improve, you learn and you are a little paranoid the whole time, which is always a good thing online. Paranioa has saved my a$$ more than once on line.

Drunken_Moose
02-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the extensive replies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'll be looking for you guys up there!