PDA

View Full Version : When did the M3 50 cal see service?

Choctaw111
09-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I am curious, and rather than using Google to find out, I thought I would put this question in here.
I was under the impression that all aircraft versions of the 50 cal during the Second World War were the M3 version and not the M2HB version...but I have heard other places that the M3 did not see service until Korea and installed on the Sabres. So, when did they go into production and actually used in combat aircraft?

Choctaw111
09-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I am curious, and rather than using Google to find out, I thought I would put this question in here.
I was under the impression that all aircraft versions of the 50 cal during the Second World War were the M3 version and not the M2HB version...but I have heard other places that the M3 did not see service until Korea and installed on the Sabres. So, when did they go into production and actually used in combat aircraft?

Blutarski2004
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
I was under the impression that all aircraft versions of the 50 cal during the Second World War were the M3 version and not the M2HB version...but I have heard other places that the M3 did not see service until Korea and installed on the Sabres. So, when did they go into production and actually used in combat aircraft? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... From what I've been able to unearth in my library, the earliest USAF fighter aircraft fitted with the 50cal M3 model seem to have been the F80B and F84B. In both cases, the M3 appears to have replaced the original M2 armament.

stugumby
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
M2HB are vehicle/ground mounted guns fitted with grips, and the HB stands for heavy barrell. Aircraft m-2 guns had skinny barrels in a perforated jacket. M-2 aircrat guns also had a higher cyclic rate. the barrel jacket supports are different as well.

try browning50cal.com for pics and specs.

stugumby
09-16-2008, 10:21 PM
http://browningmgs.com/AirGunnery/01_50cal.htm

sorry got the link wrong

Kocur_
09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Choctaw111:
I was under the impression that all aircraft versions of the 50 cal during the Second World War were the M3 version and not the M2HB version...but I have heard other places that the M3 did not see service until Korea and installed on the Sabres. So, when did they go into production and actually used in combat aircraft? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adding to Blutarski2004's post let me add, that .50 AN M3 was standarised in 1945, probably soon after VE, as the USAAF asked Ordnance to standarise the T25E3 - as prototypes were designated - as the "Gun, Machine, Caliber .50 M3 Aircraft, Basic" in April 1945.
As much as .50 M2 machine gun existed in many versions, inluding the 'land' M2HB and aerial M2, the .50 M3 was an aerial gun only. Basically it was the aerial M2 redesigned to achieve considerably higher ROF (1200 rpm vs. 800) without affecting reliability and durability. Both were identical dimensionally so there was possibility to replace M2 with M3 but I don't know if that was done in planes older than Blutarski2004 mentioned.