PDA

View Full Version : Any OKL pilots on line

corvette93
12-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Are there any former OKL pilots on-line. If there are, what did you fly and what are you flying now?

Dammerung
12-26-2004, 10:29 PM
OKL is the Luftwaffe High Command. They didn't fly. So, I guess you're asking if any Luftwaffe pilots are online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I fly Fw190s every so often online...

Von_Zero
12-26-2004, 10:38 PM
I think he is asking if any veterans are playing this game.
PS: Dammerung is half right, OKL means OberKommando der Luftwaffe, which was mostly formed by non-flying personnel, but there were pilots that occupied high places in OKL, Galland, for example. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Dammerung
12-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Galland was different, isn't he still today the only General to ever lead his men into a modern conflict? I know in the US Civil war, Generals would on occaision lead charges:

One Good example is Pickett's change, to the Non-US History knowing person, it was a 12000 man Charge in searing heat a mile long. against a Union Position of 6000 at Gettysburg. Took Artillery all the way up and got slaughtered, 60% casualties. After Napoleonic Tactics gave way to trench warfare, I don't know of any time a general led his Troops into battle, making Galland a special sort. After WWII in Vietnam, there were Colonels who did everything they could to stay on the ground.

I'm gonna start now before I get too off topic. I'm in Vietnam Air War mode, been Reading "100 Missions North", EXCELLENT Book by a Thud Driver...

TX-Gunslinger
12-27-2004, 02:28 AM
All the OKL guys who did fly, like Hannes Trautloft are dead. There are a few Luftwaffe fighter pilots alive in the world today, and to my knowlege, none fly the sim, at least not on a regular basis in the english-speaking world anyway. You might try the German version of this websight, but I think it's highly unlikely you're going to find anyone like this. Plus, the sheer rudeness, callousness and lack of respect that is shown by users on a regular basis here, and in other web-based forums, would tend to keep real Luftwaffe pilots, who are up in years out of here.

I can think offhand of some forum users who would probably try to tell a real "Experten" how the plane he really flew should behave. These people are regularly rude and offensive to Oleg Maddox and have pretty much driven him from participation in these forums. Can you imagine what they would do to a real pilot? Particularly an Axis pilot? No, I don't think you'll ever find a real WWII pilot here. At least not these days.

On the subject of General Officers who lead from the front, I can name you several that come to my mind quickly:

1. Erwin Rommel, to a fault. After he became an Army Commander (versus divisional commander) he sometimes lost the overall view of battles due to being "locked in" to the particular local, tactical conflict the unit he was leading or visiting was involved in. His troops loved him and he won whatever local engagement he ran up to the front to get involved in, however he sometimes got lost from his command post and staff, thus losing the "larger battle". With that said, Rommel is one of my "heroes" and I have nothing but respect for his memory.
2. Heinz Guderian would regularly run to the front and lead troops through difficult situations, in France and Russia
3. Hasso von Mantueffel
4. My favorite, Hermann Balck, 48th Panzer Corps commander. This guy was perhaps the finest tank General of them all, and he was routinely leading troops at trouble spots.
5. Patton was one of the U.S. Generals known for leading troops in trouble spots.
6. There are really quite a few, including Russians, Americans, Japanese and others who successfully led from the front lines when necessary, but "got back" to the command post at the appropriate time. I just don't want to take this too far off topic either.

Leading from the front is not always a good thing, however. It's hard to command 20,000 or 200,000 men across an operational area which is 45-60-100 miles in depth, when you are locked into local issues without operational level communications, updated maps, status boards and staff.

S~

Wallstein
12-27-2004, 05:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by corvette93:
Are there any former OKL pilots on-line. If there are, what did you fly and what are you flying now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 1987 I took part in a private German veteran meeting as a chauffeur to a Finnish veteran, who had co-operated with German (in Finnland) during the WWII. There were Wehrmacht-, SS- and Luftwaffe veterans, about 15 of them all in all. That happened long time ago, but as far as I could estimate according to what I heard from one Luftwaffe pilot (was shot down in Afrika in his Ju-88), I would not expect them show up in these forums easily.

I learned that at least his job was so stressing and scearing, that he did not care much to even talk about it even though he was not even injured in war.

But on the other hand, Günther Rall has visited Finnland and he gave some sort of a lecture to finnish virtual pilots some time ago. Perhaps some of those Finn virtual pilots would like to tell us their opinion, wether any of the real Luftwaffe pilots would play this game and perhaps hang around this forum or not.

Wallstein

GreyBeast
12-27-2004, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by corvette93:
Are there any former OKL pilots on-line. If there are, what did you fly and what are you flying now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa, dude!

Even if these pilots that you talk about had been EXTREMELY YOUNG in, say, late-war 1945, you´d be talking about 80-year-olds and upwards.

But now that you mention it, I do remember chatting with Yuri Gagarin a couple of days ago... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif