PDA

View Full Version : Unstable P51/Corsair and rudder pedals.

lbhskier37
07-10-2006, 06:47 AM

JG52Karaya-X
07-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro here, no rudders, no stability problems

IMO all P51 versions are very nice to handle, small amount of torque to compensate and it doesn't roll to one side like most other planes do. It's stall characteristics are also very pleasant - if you stall out just let go of the stick and it will almost instantly recover. On the negative side you have to watch out not to pull it into a snap stall at high speeds but then that's just like IRL.

JFC_Rautaristi
07-10-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm using twist, and i'm having slight stability problems.

P51 is not a problem, handles like a dream.
F4U is still shaky with rudder input, but in time i've learned to live with it. It really doesn't bother me anymore.

Edit: And the joystick is the same as above.

mrsiCkstar
07-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I use twist stick and I don't really have any stability problems with those planes and I don't usually even make coordinated turns... pretty much the only times I use the rudder is while taxiing and take off... also some evasive action.

juryman03
07-10-2006, 01:11 PM
My problems with the Corsair aren't with flying it, it's when I start shooting. It starts bobbing all over the place.

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by juryman03:
My problems with the Corsair aren't with flying it, it's when I start shooting. It starts bobbing all over the place.

Oleg has said in an email that this has been corrected in the coming addon.

VW-IceFire
07-10-2006, 03:29 PM
I keep a spare config.ini around for when the Corsair and Mustang get squirley. Makes no sense but what should be an identical copy seems to fix the problem...

ColoradoBBQ
07-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Steady pressure on the stick, smooth movement with the rudder. I have no stability problems.

R_Target
07-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Using pedals here, no real problems. Even with a hard rudder kick, the sway damps out pretty quick. If the strange recoil yaw is fixed, I'll be pretty pleased.

lbhskier37
07-12-2006, 06:24 AM
So I am looking at these results and their doesn't seem to be a problem other than the gun sway. So why do so few people fly it online?

VW-IceFire
07-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Some people have stability problems with those two birds...as I said (and nobody pays any attention to) my solution when it starts happening is to replace my config.in with an identical copy (or seemingly so). Something must get toasted in the game somewhere after playing for a while or something. Suddenly if I push forward on the stick they behave all funny and start swaying. If I hit the rudder they are all over the place...difficult to correct on target.

So I replace and they are back to being somewhat stable...although they are still not that happy as gunnery platforms. The Mustang I can see why its not used by everyone online...its a more difficult aircraft to do well in when all people want to do is dogfight. The Corsair does better but its still bigger and less nimble than what people want to dogfight with so you don't see them as often.

bird_brain
07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I fly the F4U1-C online whenever I can, and short of turnfighting with Spitfires, I like it. The gun induced yaw issue should be corrected with the next add-on, but the "C" version is not affected anyway.

I have a TM Cougar HOTAS & CH pedals and have no stability issues. I have learned to compensate for the gun yaw by "walking" my shots across an enemy AC and kicking a small amount of rudder to compensate for the increasing yaw if the trigger is held down. Short burst, small rudder kick, short burst, small rudder kick, etc., etc....

I have not flown the Mustang enough to comment.

VW-IceFire
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by bird_brain:
I fly the F4U1-C online whenever I can, and short of turnfighting with Spitfires, I like it. The gun induced yaw issue should be corrected with the next add-on, but the "C" version is not affected anyway.

I have a TM Cougar HOTAS & CH pedals and have no stability issues. I have learned to compensate for the gun yaw by "walking" my shots across an enemy AC and kicking a small amount of rudder to compensate for the increasing yaw if the trigger is held down. Short burst, small rudder kick, short burst, small rudder kick, etc., etc....

I have not flown the Mustang enough to comment.
The same basic technique works on the Mustang...more because it still nose wanders a fair amount than because of gun induced yaw. The F4U-1C still wobbles about for me...sometimes...the weapons onboard seem to have little to do with this. If you kick it into a hard roll the nose tends to want to sway in the opposite direction of the roll in a nearly violent way. It makes it difficult to fly without heavy use of rudder. You or I can compensate but some of the less capable will shudder at such a difficult plane and fly something easier - I don't blame them really. I'm really not sure how much this is the way its supposed to be and how much it is some sort of input bug...its gotta be half bug with the problems/solutions I have.