PDA

View Full Version : [Pacific-Fighters] Does the latest patch make AI stupid?

wags94
03-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Hello all, after taking a long break from flight simulators, I decided to pick up Pacific-Fighters again. I installed it and patched it all the way up to the 4.04 patch. I've been doing some campaigns and I can't seem to kill anything. Why? Because the moment I engage any enemy fighters, they dive straight down to the deck, and die. Understand that I am not hitting the fighters when I shoot at them, I'm just shooting in their general direction (I really am a terrible shot). Routinely the enemy aircraft will pull up, roll left, and dive straight down and hit the water.

I always get credit for the kill, but it doesn't seem right.

Is this unusual? Should I reinstall the patches? (It wasn't like this in vanilla v3.0. When I played PF unpatched the enemy actually tried to maneuver and kill me when shot at).

tsisqua
03-31-2010, 08:17 PM
I think I would try a reinstall. I notice that funny things happen to my game if I install to any drive other than the default C: . . .

It sounds as if the enemy just came off leave and are still a bit tipsy from the night before.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifTsisqua

WTE_Galway
04-01-2010, 01:31 AM
IL2 1946 contains everything in pacific fighters plus more and sells now for about $10, I would try upgrading.

wags94
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Trust me, I have barely got $10 to spend. I'm still a teenager and I'm not allowed to get a job until the summer (says my parents). I made the mistake of buying a lot of small, relatively cheap things (such as candy or $1 fast food items), and not realizing it all adds up rather quickly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

But I will definitely look in IL2 1946.

JtD
04-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi, the game does not give credit unless you hit the enemy, so the bandit crashed after you indeed inflicted damage. That said, the AI isn't really good when it comes to dealing with a damaged plane.

Swivet
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
The AI were dropped at birth no matter what version of the game you have. Upgrading might improve it.

mortoma
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by tsisqua:
I think I would try a reinstall. I notice that funny things happen to my game if I install to any drive other than the default C: . . .

It sounds as if the enemy just came off leave and are still a bit tipsy from the night before.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifTsisqua Total nonsense! What drive a game is installed on has no effect on how the program runs. It does not affect routines, sub-routines or programmed behavior of AI at all. The same exe file and the same data load into RAM memory no matter which drive it's on, unless it becomes corrupted. But if you did happen have some corrupted data on a different drive other than C then the same thing could easily happen on your C drive. Which drive a program and it's data are installed on has nothing to do with anything. I currently run IL2 from my E drive and am getting no unusual behavior at all. I guess it's apparent that many people don't really have an understanding of how computers work!!

Ba5tard5word
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
When I first started playing Il-2 it was on a copy of PF/AEP/FB. The AI was pretty poor and easy to shoot down, and when I got 1946 soonafter I noticed a big improvement in the AI's competitiveness. But I've heard some people say that the earliest versions of the game had tougher AI.