PDA

View Full Version : FPS stuttering cure i can recommend

EnGaurde
05-07-2005, 03:45 AM
ive had stuttering mid game lately.

all of a sudden.

unplayable frankly, slide show proportions.

in frustration, all config issues exhausted, i began to investigate hardware.

lo and behold, i discovered a heatsink chock-o-dust.

a quick clean out, a small desk fan blowing into the case, and its back to its silky best.

lesson is: dont write anything off until you have checked it, and checked it again.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Cleaning heatsinks should be done at least on a monthly basis - thought this was common sense?

JunkoIfurita
05-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Common sense, yes, for those of us who build our own machines.

For someone playing on an OEM or something, who don't expect EVER to open their case during the course of their computer's life - not so obvious.

So - those of you not already in the know - your computer sucks dust like George W Bush in the 70s. It cakes everything, and is a thermal insulator, which means all the heat your components generate DOESN'T dissipate like it should, and your components overheat.

Overheating components = poor operation = bad frames and ALSO will massively shorten the life of your graphics card, your Power supply and your CPU in particular.

----

EnGaurde
05-07-2005, 06:27 AM
embarrasing thing is ive been employed as a tech in the past, and i simply didnt afford this enough importance to check.

it HAD to be something more complicated. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

on a side note i had something similar with my car not long ago... stalled, no start.

6 cylinder ford, would crank but no start.

hmmm.

went thru everything... days of smearing knuckles on engine block replacing all manner of parts ( you havent lived till you pulled an ignition coil out from underneath an intake manifold on a fuel injected car with no ramps or room to move, nothing but a 13mm open ended spanner, lots of blood and every swear word known to man.... tip: learn swearwords in french for loud frustrated shouting in built up environments)

mechanic finally took pity on me and came for a house call.... first thing he did before even opening the bonnet was to pour twenty litres of fuel into it. He jumps in the car, winds it over for about 30 seconds or so and sure enough..... vrooom.

turned out the rest of the car was fine, fuel gauge needle had stuck on half but the tank was actually empty.

*****. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

stansdds
05-07-2005, 06:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif At EnGaurde's experience with a car! It's always the simple things we tend to overlook and I am no exception. Been there, done that, don't want to talk about it.

ElAurens
05-07-2005, 04:33 PM
I cannot tell you haw many times we had cars come in the shop with a "no start" condition, only to find it was merely out of fuel.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

heywooood
05-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Back in the day - when I used to work for AAA - I used to get a call at least once a month...

I dont remember the code (T1 or T2 car won't start)...I roll up in the ol' ****** with the jumpy cables in hand, do a quick check with the keys just to be sure and...."you know, with these automatic transmissions, you have to be in 'PARK' or 'NEUTRAL' for the engine to start"...

The trick is to try NOT to make the person feel dumb but talk about having nothing to work with.

So as not to lose track of the original intent of this thread...dust is a huge problem and I wonder if it is better to use compressed air and blow it out...or a small vacuum and suck the dust out of there..hmmmmm dust both sucks AND blows I s'pose.

T_O_A_D
05-07-2005, 09:46 PM
I can't count how many PC's I've carted home because our ITS department at work won't maintain our machines. I get them home clean them up and they work fine every now and then I'll have to replace a fan. Then I give them away to people who don't have PC's or the local churches. Those guys only want to tickle the keys,not get their hands dirty.

EnGaurde
05-08-2005, 02:34 AM
I cannot tell you haw many times we had cars come in the shop with a "no start" condition, only to find it was merely out of fuel.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

in my defense, even the roadside guy didnt pick it.

ive since saved a friend with this new found mistrust of gauges when i recognised her car on the side of the road and did a quick bang on the tank test.

Didnt lead anywhere though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

stansdds
05-08-2005, 05:16 AM
With real aircraft you never rely on the fuel quantity gauge. During the preflight inspection you always physically check the tank to be sure it is filled and you always drain a little fuel from the drain valve to check for water in the fuel.

I guess with PC's you should physically inspect its insides at least once a month to check for dust and malfunctioning fans.

VF-3Thunderboy
05-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Some of the top end cases have little heppa filters. I think you could add one to about any computer, but Im just not sure how it would effect the fan on the inside, or cooling in general. A seprate frontal compartment with a seprate fan/hepa filter would eliminate this problem altogether, forever!!!

stansdds
05-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Dust and pollen can get in through the tiniest of openings, so I don't really think it is possible to have a totally dust free computer.

Amnio
05-09-2005, 06:00 AM
A tip to keep your case dustfree: make sure you are pushing more air into the case than is removed (through fans), then you'll have excess pressure and dust won't enter through all thoose small openings. Add some dustfilters, which cost next to nothing, in front of your intakefans and you're all set. Just remember to empty the filters every now and then.

Do note that the filters will make your fans turn slightly slower as they have to work with higher pressure to pump the air through the material, so you might want to recheck that you still have excess pressure in your case.

Dash_8
05-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by heywooood:
Back in the day - when I used to work for AAA - I used to get a call at least once a month...

I dont remember the code (T1 or T2 car won't start)...I roll up in the ol' ****** with the jumpy cables in hand, do a quick check with the keys just to be sure and...."you know, with these automatic transmissions, you have to be in 'PARK' or 'NEUTRAL' for the engine to start"...

The trick is to try NOT to make the person feel dumb but talk about having nothing to work with.

So as not to lose track of the original intent of this thread...dust is a huge problem and I wonder if it is better to use compressed air and blow it out...or a small vacuum and suck the dust out of there..hmmmmm dust both sucks AND blows I s'pose.

I admittedly of one of those people. Back in college I pulled into the student lot, shut off the car and couldn't get my key our of the ignition. I had a test so I said to myself, 'AHH F%^ck it' and went to class. Called AAA after class and the tow truck driver just bumped the shift lever into park and got the key out.

To my defence, the light next to the shift control in my automatic was lit as 'P' as if in park, but it was not "actually" in park. I never felt so stupid for wasting $15 dollars in my life!

Skyraider3D
05-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Cleaning heatsink... LOL! I have never ever thought of that. Instead, I keep my case open for max. ventilation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif