PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who flies COX airplanes

Chris0382
06-10-2007, 07:18 AM
We have a nice Cox airfield near by at Haddam Neck State park hear in CT.

Ide like to give it a try with an entry level WW2 model + radio and dont know what to get. Can anyone advise me on what to get for an entry level COX plane, motor, and radio.

M2morris
06-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
We have a nice Cox airfield near by at Haddam Neck State park hear in CT.

Ide like to give it a try with an entry level WW2 model + radio and dont know what to get. Can anyone advise me on what to get for an entry level COX plane, motor, and radio.

Just check out RC universe dot com and I am sure someone there will help you out.

Me and brother had a cox plastic U-control-line plane back in the early 70s, it kind-of looked like an RV4, it had an 0.49 engine on it, started by finger using a big square 6 volt battery, it really screamed. I bought it after I found $16 by a dry ditch when I was ten. Well, we decided to lenghten the control line about 10 feet by using some more nylon string that we had.
It ended up in about 100 pieces on the school basketball court.

shotdownski
06-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Mid '70s u-control here also...a Stuka. Looked really cool, but the noise sucked and it got boring pretty quickly going round in circles.

Bearcat99
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Heh heh.. the first warbird I ever saw that I remember was a Cox P-40.. It belonged to a cousin of mine who was 8 years my senior.. I was @4 or 5.. I used to make the balsa planes and fly them.

M2morris
06-10-2007, 08:52 PM
He he, yeah I was into building those balsa kits too. The 1st was a hellcat, then a P-38. They had rubber-power and had a tissue paper covering that needed doping. Once we put a cox .049 engine(remember those engines had a fuel tank that was part of the engine) we just screwed it to a Piper Charokee balsa plane that I built. The thrust-to-wieght was way-off. It climbed strait up until almost out-of sound range, and then it came down and then it just-didnt clear the bottom of a huuuuge loop. Well, now I could go on all day, wrong forum. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

capt_frank
06-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Back in the summer of '66, flew the snot out of my PT-19 Cox trainer, even had a muffler on the .049 engine. Plenty of rubber bands were a must have.

luftluuver
06-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by capt_frank:
Back in the summer of '66, flew the snot out of my PT-19 Cox trainer, even had a muffler on the .049 engine. Plenty of rubber bands were a must have. Think I still have the wing put away someplace. Had lots of fun with that a/c > no muffler came on mine.

M2morris
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
If that Cox PT-19 was a plastic yellow and blue Navy or Army air corps type low-wing trainer taildragger with wire landing gear and open cockpit and needed rubber bands to hold the wings on; I knew that plane well.
In 1974 I also bought a cox me109 with an over-sized hollow foam wing that was eaten by my stupid dog. I Sent the wing back to the company and they sent me a new one. Whenever I fly my RCs today the smell of the fule brings me back to those good old days.

wayno7777
06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
I must have 6 or 7 down in the basement. A Spit, 2 Cosmic Winds, 2 P-40's a Stuka, one or 2 P-51's. Also. a balsa Me 109 with a Cox .051 engine. Still have pieces from a Fokker D VII. My favorite was the .020 stunt biplane. Still have that engine, too....

M2morris
06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I can't believe you mentioned the cosmic wind, that was the plane a said looke like an RV4, I didnt think anyone would know what a cosmic wind was, I had one of those too, it was orange. Then in 76 they came up with a cosmic wind that was red white and blue for the 76 time. I built a solid balsa tri-gear of my own design twin tail that really was sharp, wish I still had those planes.