PDA

View Full Version : Old Pathe wartime clips available - FW190



NorrisMcWhirter
07-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi,

British Pathe/ITN news archives have some interesting wartime snippets available for download. One example is this, dated late 1942:

http://www.britishpathe.com/images//preview/00000000/00044000/00044054.WMV

"...[the 190] is the latest attempt to outclass our fighters. Good plane that it is, it's just too bad for the Nazis that it doesn't..."

I doubt that would have been broadcast a year earlier when this 'still hush hush top secret' 190 had been shooting down Spitfires left, right and centre(!)

Ta,
Norris

iamlmc
07-25-2005, 01:52 PM
A FW 190 with RAF Markings... nice http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Hristo_
07-25-2005, 03:21 PM
<puke>

Lucius_Esox
07-25-2005, 03:25 PM
<puke>

? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

MEGILE
07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
It was pretty considerate of the pilot to land it in England, no?

tigertalon
07-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
It was pretty considerate of the pilot to land it in England, no?

After landing on 23.06.1942, pilot Arnim Faber even proposed Brits to fly his Fw190A3 against a Spit in a mock dogfight with smallest fuel amount possible.

Because of possiblity of him to bail out and destroy the craft, his kind offer was rejected.

NorrisMcWhirter
07-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi,

On a serious note, there is quite a lot of aircraft footage in that archive...most of it isn't of brilliant quality, concerns the allies & the commentary, by and large, is surprisingly neutral (see Luftwaffe's Black Day for example).

There are quite a few guncam sequences I've certainly not seen before...but, then again, I consider them to be 'eye opening' rather than 'cool'.

Ta,
Norris

carguy_
07-25-2005, 06:21 PM
How did you manage to preview in wmv without adding it to a basket or seeing scrennies only?

iamlmc
07-25-2005, 06:36 PM
From: http://www.pembreyairport.com/pages/History.html

"One noteworthy incident, (amongst many others - no doubt!) was the story of Oberleutnant Arnim Faber, Adjutant of III fighter Gruppe of JG2 who, on the 23rd of June 1942 had engaged Spitfires over the south coast of Britain and on heading towards Exeter, mistook the Bristol Channel for the English Channel. Being short on fuel, he landed at Pembrey believing it to be a Luftwaffe airfield in France. The Pembrey Duty Pilot, one Sgt. Jeffreys, grabbed a Very pistol and ran from the control tower and jumped onto the wing of Faber's aircraft as it taxied in. Ironically, Faber was piloting the latest enemy fighter, the Focke Wulf 190A, a type the RAF had only ever seen flying over France.

The depths of Faber's despair at providing his enemy with an intact FW190 can be gauged by the fact that he subsequently attempted to commit suicide! As news broke of his landing in Pembrey, Fighter Command despatched pilots to photograph and return the aircraft to the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough. The RAF finally had an Fw 190!"

It should have been a good help to RAF pilots in order to exploit the weak and strong aspects of this bird and a huge help developing tactics against him too.

Cheers

NorrisMcWhirter
07-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by carguy_:
How did you manage to preview in wmv without adding it to a basket or seeing scrennies only?

Hi,

I found it easiest to do the search in the ITN news archive...

When you search, at the top of the search results, you should see "search British Pathe archive' in yellow.

Click on that and the search results will be refined to those in the Pathe archive. You can click on these and you get a different interface to the clips where you can access them in their entirety.

Obviously not very well thought out but at least you can avoid the Pathe nightmare website and it's non-intuitive access method.

Good luck!

Ta
Norris

Heliopause
07-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Just some pics of Fw 190 captured by Britisch.
German pilot was Fw Otto Bechtold and he landed at West Malling on april 17th 1943 after losing his orientation.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/heliopause/FwGBGround-.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/heliopause/FwGBGround.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/heliopause/FwGB.jpg

Fliegeroffizier
07-26-2005, 04:25 PM
That is one Totally screwed up Website...impossibly hard to figure out...absolutely NON-user-friendly..

I can't break the code Ridiculous!

iamlmc
07-26-2005, 05:57 PM
The third pic gives a good Sig photo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

msalama
07-27-2005, 04:13 AM
? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Nah, he just takes all this c**p too seriously...

PS. Gotta check them clips when I get home later. Thanks for the link...

SeaFireLIV
07-27-2005, 04:26 AM
"The FW190 mounting 4 cannons and 2 mgs - it`s an attempt to outclass our latest fighters. Good plane though it is, it`s just too bad for the Nazis that it doesn`t!"


I love it! Hear that Jerry? Your 190 is useless against our Brit planes! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Pirschjaeger
07-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Megile:
It was pretty considerate of the pilot to land it in England, no?

That's why you should never land in the fog. You'll have to give up your warbird and drink hot tea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
07-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
"...[the 190] is the latest attempt to outclass our fighters. Good plane that it is, it's just too bad for the Nazis that it doesn't..."
Norris

As soon as they stuck the British pilot in the 190 cockpit, the plane was neutered. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by iamlmc:
From: http://www.pembreyairport.com/pages/History.html

"One noteworthy incident, (amongst many others - no doubt!) was the story of Oberleutnant Arnim Faber, Adjutant of III fighter Gruppe of JG2 who, on the 23rd of June 1942 had engaged Spitfires over the south coast of Britain and on heading towards Exeter, mistook the Bristol Channel for the English Channel. Being short on fuel, he landed at Pembrey believing it to be a Luftwaffe airfield in France. The Pembrey Duty Pilot, one Sgt. Jeffreys, grabbed a Very pistol and ran from the control tower and jumped onto the wing of Faber's aircraft as it taxied in. Ironically, Faber was piloting the latest enemy fighter, the Focke Wulf 190A, a type the RAF had only ever seen flying over France.

The depths of Faber's despair at providing his enemy with an intact FW190 can be gauged by the fact that he subsequently attempted to commit suicide! As news broke of his landing in Pembrey, Fighter Command despatched pilots to photograph and return the aircraft to the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough. The RAF finally had an Fw 190!"

It should have been a good help to RAF pilots in order to exploit the weak and strong aspects of this bird and a huge help developing tactics against him too.

Cheers

Man, I wouldn't want to have been Faber. Somewhat embarrassing me thinks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Fritz

BigganD
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
whata propaganda clip