PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a bad guy.

darkhorizon11
10-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
Please don't ban me this is just to make a quick point.

I want to apologize to E5kimo my post in the PIRACY was to Udidtoo.

Since my second post is at the top of the 3rd page(and no one might have seen my first in the middle of the second), it is a little confrontational, and racy and might come off the wrong way I would like to point out that I AM BUYING PF LEGALLY!

Thanx.

darkhorizon11
10-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
Please don't ban me this is just to make a quick point.

I want to apologize to E5kimo my post in the PIRACY was to Udidtoo.

Since my second post is at the top of the 3rd page(and no one might have seen my first in the middle of the second), it is a little confrontational, and racy and might come off the wrong way I would like to point out that I AM BUYING PF LEGALLY!

Thanx.

B16Enk
10-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Nice to see an apology aired.

Keep up the good work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Udidtoo
10-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Can't recall what the exact wording was but I'm still trying to figure out how my belief that stealing in any form regardless of the dollar amont is wrong equates to new world right/leftwing thinking???

stealing=bad

not stealing = good

Pretty simple really but we can always discuss it PM before Bear or Ivan puts us in the corner.

El Turo
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
If a person pre-ordered PF, then downloaded it, would that be stealing? It's an interesting ethical question that got raised elsewhere.

Why doesn't the app require a certified CD key to play online or something? Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Yellonet
10-15-2004, 04:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Turo:
Why doesn't the app require a certified CD key to play online or something? Wouldn't that solve the problem? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah... that's more of a rule than an exception nowadays http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HART_dreyer
10-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Logics 101

Dim "Stealing is good"

_IF

you can get away with it

End

Dim "Stealing is bad"

_IF

you get caught

End

Taylortony
10-15-2004, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Turo:
If a person pre-ordered PF, then downloaded it, would that be stealing? It's an interesting ethical question that got raised elsewhere.

Why doesn't the app require a certified CD key to play online or something? Wouldn't that solve the problem? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put it this way... if i went into a shop and walked out with a tv but later on i got pangs of guilt, would the fact i walked out with it without paying in the first place....... would that be stealing....da mn right it would be, there is also the possiblity, heck i have this tv no one saw me take it so stuff it i won't buy it now......you get my drift. When FB came out and was released statesside a whole month before the UK and i was desperate to start skinning the likes of the P40 a version was online I could have downloaded and ripped off, a lot of people that knew i had it on order thought i was mad, but i resisted the tempation, instead using the voids i sent them to a friend in canada.... thanks PIlgrim, he test flew them and sent screenshots back, from which i worked, i then built several skins this way and believe me those that have TRIED TO SKIN ITS NOT EASY...........This took me a heck of a lot more work, but heck i had a lot of pride in the end results as i knew the work involved......... BTW I also ordered it from Canada and the UK both of which turned up together so i donated one copy to someone on il2 that could not afford it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If you as an online player can not wait a couple of weeks to get the legitimate game to play online when it will be recognised then one I pity you and two I would say get a life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Downloading pirated copies is illegal and not just that it effects future releases, if BOB is cancelled i bet 99% of the gripes will come from pirate copy "owners" and i say that with a foul taste in my mouth, than genuine owners, but as it seems it was not a beta tester that was responsible for the release I think oleg should sort his own camp out first before having ago at the people downloading it....... it seems a bit like locking the gate after the horse as bolted......... if it wasnt there it wouldnt be downloaded and the fact it IS there is down to a poor choice of distribution , which is back to Maddox i'm afraid

scootertgm
10-15-2004, 04:47 PM

It's still a licensing violation and if caught could result in up to $150,000 USD fine PER application. Even if you pre-ordered the software, your license for he software has not arrived and you are not allowed to tinstall and use it. Also, you're encouraging those who didn't buy the software to do the same as they see you doing it.

Bottom line, it's wrong.

El Turo
10-15-2004, 05:46 PM
TT,

I think your analogy is flawed because in the hypothetical situation, we've already paid for the service/product. Once an exchange of money has taken place, does that not constitute ownership rights?

As for encouraging others to do so.. not only have I not done so (likely wouldn't know how even if you explained it to this tech-stoopid end user)... but those that will do such nefarious things are going to do such nefarious things wether or not I think it's rotten.

To me, the analogy might be better related to something like subscribing to a magazine but borrowing your buddy's copy until yours arrives a week or two later.

Or, if we want to directly relate back to PF.. what say you if a person has pre-ordered (paid in full) the game in the U.S., whereas a buddy of his in Europe already has his copy and sends Mr. U.S. guy a copy until his pre-paid copy arrives a few weeks later in the mail.

Still evil and rotten?

SKULLS Virga
10-15-2004, 06:19 PM
This isn't Philosophy 101.

It's wrong period.

heywooood
10-15-2004, 06:49 PM

--------------------------------------------

So if one window on your house is not locked
one night ...its ok for someone to slide in and take from you whatever they want..? because in this day and age you are stupid for not locking every door and window right?... and how did we get to this day and age if not for reasoning like yours?... this is the problem... its ok to take this off a website because 1c didn't protect it somehow?...no - their trust was betrayed by someone that should have known better - but didn't value that trust at all...and is perpetuated by others that wear annonymity like a shield and further betray that trust ... you is dead wrong.

Oleg worked his a$$ off for this? Please.

Dont download stolen software or steal any other private property! And its not about the property as much as it is about the people....in case you dont follow me - I dont care about the theft of the property itself as much as I do about the betrayal of trust that goes with it.
theft is theft, bro - and it sucks - period.

WTE_Galway
10-15-2004, 09:22 PM
despite the illusions of many people on this forum something like 95% of FB/AEP users never play online .. for a flight sim IL2 has a strong online community but in the larger scheme of things online play is not really a big issue

hence an online cd-key, while a good idea, will not help a lot in the piracy stakes