PDA

View Full Version : The "How to fly the P51d in this game" topic

FA_Whisky
01-26-2004, 02:28 PM
I fly this plane all the time online, and are able to survive most sorties.
Got a few question for other dedicated P51d fliers out there.
1) There is a gauge 'Coolant'. As far as i understand its the temperature of the coolant fluid. Now when the engine overheats, how can it be that the coolant is freezing. This only happens on high alt. though.

2) How can you reach top speed, or what is the best throttle/proppitch(rpm)/radiator setting to trie to get there?

For the rest, i am interested in other/more P51d tactics and info.

S! Whisky

FA_Whisky
01-26-2004, 02:28 PM
1) There is a gauge 'Coolant'. As far as i understand its the temperature of the coolant fluid. Now when the engine overheats, how can it be that the coolant is freezing. This only happens on high alt. though.

2) How can you reach top speed, or what is the best throttle/proppitch(rpm)/radiator setting to trie to get there?

S! Whisky

Raider_356th
01-26-2004, 02:56 PM
S!
So much to say so little room..lol

For settings for flying, i use 90% prop pitch, radiator closed, and i runn 100% throttle untill i enter combat, then i fire wall it, jus to save over heating time.That also increases speed and climb rate my closing radiator. Second, most of the gauges in the game dont work, i believe the fuel gauges acutaly work now because of the new patch. Granted, the speedomter and attitude and altitude gauges work, and some others, but not all.
Tactics: what i found best to work is zoom and boom in most occasions, unless u have a wingman then it comes to yankin and bankin most of the time. S!

Wildman
5E_B
364thFG Commanding Officer
"Too Tough To Tame"
"Fighter Aircraft Are Designed-And Fighter Pilots Are Trained-To Fight. If There Are Enemy Aircraft In The Air, And Contact Is Not Made, Somthing Is Wrong"
-From VMF-214 ("BlackSheep") Offical History, Appendix E: Major Boyington's Combat Tactics
www.freewebs.com/wildmanshanger/wildmansig.jpg

S77th-MOC
01-26-2004, 03:57 PM
http://s3.invisionfree.com/PointsFighterCorner/index.php?showtopic=12

Platypus_1.JaVA
01-26-2004, 04:29 PM
I do not agree with the previous tips.

For getting the most out of your engine without frying it, check the RPM gauge. I maintain 100% throttle and set my prop pitch in such a way that the RPM is just under the 3000. Just before the red mark on the dial.

You should watch this on your entire flight. A few seconds over 3000 is okay but, the P-51 won't allow it forever.

And just take off like you are used to in any aircraft. Climbing speed should be a little less then 300. And remember, the P-51 is not a good turn-fighter so, avoid the turn-fighting situations by climbing higher then the suspected altitude of you opponents and come screaming down on them when you feel like it.

Also, set the convergence for your guns less then 200. I have mine set at 150. Setting your guns to greater distances, will greatly decrease their effectiveness. 6X .50cal can be quite devastating when you hit your target at convergence range. I've ripped wings and snapped hulls with it. Altough it requires a burst of a second or so in one spot, to do any real damage. As a rule of thumb, the span of an enemy fighter plane should stay just within the circle of your reflector sight, when it is at 150m range.

Furthermore, I really enjoy flying the P-51. It is not as uber like in the M$CFS series but, you still got the feel of flying something 'special'. I am quite delighted with how the P-51 turned out in FB. And it offers one of the best visions all around, from the cockpit. (except maybe the rear)

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge,
ye shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be measured
to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php

TheGozr
01-26-2004, 05:28 PM
>? i thought the HP pic was at 3200 rpm on the 51 ?

-GOZR
"TheMotorheads" All for One and One for All (http://www.french.themotorhead.com/themotorhead_fighters/)

FA_Whisky
01-26-2004, 05:46 PM
"Furthermore, I really enjoy flying the P-51. It is not as uber like in the M$CFS series but, you still got the feel of flying something 'special'. I am quite delighted with how the P-51 turned out in FB."

Thats why i started the post http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I really get a lot of positive comment about how i fly the P51d. Some call me a cheat because they think the P51d should suck http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Can you guys reach top speed? I only manage to get 565 ot of it at gound level. 110% throttle radiator on 2(did not overheat btw)

CHN_EagleHeart
01-26-2004, 06:01 PM
point 1:
P51's weapone optimize. In FB early versions, I found if I use un-foucus conversion settings of 6x.50cal<like outer-230m, inner-250m> It can take more effect to the damage of targets. see below: http://www.dof.cn/bbs/php/upfile/1074912855707%BD%BB%BB%E3.GIF
But in 1.21RC02 later versions, OLEG team ignore the "inner and outter part of 2+4 .50cals" So, this maybe not very effect now.

[This message was edited by CHN_EagleHeart on Mon January 26 2004 at 05:53 PM.]

CHN_EagleHeart
01-26-2004, 06:07 PM
point 2:
P51D5NT's joystick setting

I found the control of P51D5NTis somehow different to other plane. If I use normal joystick settings like flying yaks, las, or 109F4G2s, The P51's responce is not very clear. but if I change the Joystick seetings to my favorate FW190's, like this(Y: 7,15,23,31,40,49,58,68,79,91), The p51D5NT's responce become lubricate and obedience.

[This message was edited by CHN_EagleHeart on Mon January 26 2004 at 05:54 PM.]

CHN_EagleHeart
01-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Point 3:

p51's turning

As FB explaned, p51D5Nt is not a turning fighter like yaks, Zeros, he is a E-fighting aircraft, good to use B&Z or H&R tactics.But the important is, Due to this, p51D5NT is even good in turnings if you need. First thing is you must lose your extra-weight as much as you can (like using 25% fuel), Then use your flaps in combat clever, set it frequently in "Combat" or "Takeoff" mode when you in turning or in rolling-scissors. P51D5NT's is good at continues turning at 280-310Kmh(combat flaps) or 240-270kmh(takeoff flaps). In this range, P51D5NT can match many turning-fighters.

[This message was edited by CHN_EagleHeart on Mon January 26 2004 at 05:55 PM.]

CHN_EagleHeart
01-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Point 4:

Use p51D5NT's high speed ability

p51D5NT's another strong point is his high-speed ability. this not means P51D5NT's speed is very fast, but what i say is his ability in fast-speed is very good. In high-speed, P51D5NT can easily out-maneuverable even against superior la7s and ki84s. but you will find when you pull up in highspeed(like in 450kmh+), P51D5NT's responce is like a itch-afraid B*I*T*C*H, So hard you could not take a precision aim at ur target.

And when in high speed, P51D5NT's roll-rate is also good.(Not excelent, But good indeed)

[This message was edited by CHN_EagleHeart on Mon January 26 2004 at 05:57 PM.]

CHN_EagleHeart
01-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Point 5:

how to shot your target when you in P51

p51D5NT's armament is not very truculency. Like P39s 109g6s or 190A9s. So it is not very good when you take a shot-route like above planes - like using high-deflection shot tactics. P51's best shot-tactics is continues fire, continues-hit. So try to slow down your target first, and then take a route to his 6 or 6 high, make your uprising-line equal to his, and get a presision continues fire(0.5~1.5sec), And then, almost all the target will burn.

then you will find, P51's armament is enough good. And this new type of firing tactics, brings you a new exciting feeling.

[This message was edited by CHN_EagleHeart on Mon January 26 2004 at 05:58 PM.]

[This message was edited by CHN_EagleHeart on Mon January 26 2004 at 05:59 PM.]

CHN_EagleHeart
01-26-2004, 06:45 PM
point 6:

When you face a ki84.

ki841a in FB is a P51-killer. he can out-climb p51, out-ZOOM P51, out-turn P51, out-roll P51, and even out-speed P51. So if you face a ki84 ace online without E-adventage, You must use multi-plane tactics with your teammates. Or, anything you only can do is... dont let him catch you...just run...

A team of good cooperated P51s, doesnt fear anything in the sky. Even as la7s, ki84s, 190A9D9's or 109k4s.

[This message was edited by CHN_EagleHeart on Mon January 26 2004 at 06:00 PM.]

CHN_EagleHeart
01-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Point 7:

radiator of P51

When you ZOOM, close the radiator can decrease the E-droping.
When you run at full throtle, please close radiator too.
if P51's engine overheat, just down the throtle to 99%, and open the radiator, cool it will be very soon.

Maple_Tiger
01-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Actualy Platypus the P-51 is a CPS plane, thought i would let you know.

There is no option for manual propitch for most alied planes.

100% prop pitch setting will keep your RPMs at 3200. 75% setting will give you cruze RPM's about 2700. The pitch is constantly being changed to keep your RPMs to where you have set them to.

In real live the Pilot would change pitch and throttle at the same time. 75% pitch setting = 75% power.

Bf109's are differant. You can choose manuel or auto prop pitch. Alot of people dont use manual prop pitch.

When using manual if your not carfull you can blow your engine on take off. There is no governer that keeps the RPMs at the same revolotion.

If you want to understand manual proppitch then take a BF109 and set it to manaul.

If the P-51 had manaul prop pitch most of you would not use it anyway. Havent you ever noticed that the RPM stays the same frome take off untill you reach you desired altitude?

Why is it you can leave the prop setting at 100% = 3200RPM combat, Full throttle, take off, climb to 3000m without blowing your engine? answer is becaue the prop pitch is constantly changing by itself to keep you at 3200RPM.

If you took the BF109 out for a spin and used manaul prop pitch. If you went full thottle, kept prop pitch at 100% you would blow the engine before you left the ground.

nickdanger3
01-26-2004, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...If you took the BF109 out for a spin and used manaul prop pitch. If you went full thottle, kept prop pitch at 100% you would blow the engine before you left the ground.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actaully about 60 seconds into flight - thanks for the tip - now I know why I keep hearing that awful dying engine sound when ever I fly a 109! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FA_Whisky
01-27-2004, 02:45 AM
Theory about why you cannot reach top speed.

I experienced that when you max the P51d and want to keep it level you will have to trim it nose down a lot. I got my trim on a slider so I can see how i set it. Also when you look at your tail from the outside you can clearly see your elevator set on downtrim. I think that in the game engine moving you elevator cause drag(it will also do so in the real world). I think that this drag of the elevator is keeping the mustang from reaching its max level speed.
So here is the question, did the mustang had trimtaps or did the whole elevator move when the plane is trimmed level. I always thought it had trimtaps witch would not cause as mutch drag.

BaldieJr
01-27-2004, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FA_Whisky:

S! Whisky<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Answers:
1. Liquid will boil at lower temperatures when under pressure. I can't say that I believe 1C modelled this in-game.

2. Max throttle, set pitch so that engine rpm's are at red-line, and open the radiator (in real life anyways as the radiator output creates thrust on the p51).

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

Rajvosa
01-27-2004, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1. Liquid will boil at lower temperatures when under pressure
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's the other way around. The higher the pressure, the higher the boiling point, and vice versa. That's why it's impossible to boil eggs on Mt Everest. Water boils well below 100 degrees at that altitude (low pressure).

Golf GTI Edition 2.0 16v (Rest In Pieces!)

Maple_Tiger
01-27-2004, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nickdanger3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...If you took the BF109 out for a spin and used manaul prop pitch. If you went full thottle, kept prop pitch at 100% you would blow the engine before you left the ground.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actaully about 60 seconds into flight - thanks for the tip - now I know why I keep hearing that awful dying engine sound when ever I fly a 109! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also depends on wich BF109. There is one i was flying around in that i could actualy blow the enigne just before the weels left the ground. I think it was the G2 or F4 or i forget lol.

FA_Whisky
01-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Tested for top speed last night. At ground level i got to +-575kmph without overheating. At 7,5k i got it to 703kmph and was able to keep that speed(sometimes 704/705kmph) but wasted my engien after 5 mins. Anyone else got these speeds?