PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, test runway request

VFS-214_Hawk
07-01-2005, 03:29 PM
COuld you please make runways 3 and 4 capable of ground starts for dogfight map?

Runway four is closer to the ground and allows us to actually taxi on and off the runways. This is reat for making our own airfields but is not working in dogfight servers. The airstarts are good but we also need a selection to make them ground start.

Thansk Bud!!!!!

Tater-SW-
07-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Actually, only some planes can taxi on and off no4. ALL japanese planes blow up if you try this.

tater

LEXX_Luthor
07-01-2005, 07:32 PM
It would be sweet to be able to skin the runways.

Also, Oleg could make short Test Ramps or Test Taxiways and Test Parking_Areas. Then we could build fully functional airfields. At last there would be negative effects of taxiing off the runway/taxiway.

Feathered_IV
07-02-2005, 06:46 AM
LEXX_Luthor Posted Fri July 01 2005 18:32
It would be sweet to be able to skin the runways.

Good God! What an amazing idea!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Tater-SW-
07-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Wow. That would indeed be an awesome idea, skinning the runway objects. Dirt, coral, even camoflauge (faked bomb craters, even trees were painted on).

Bump for a fantastic idea!

A few tweaks to the runway objects and then release a couple of the big maps with all airfields removed completely (and place names removed as well).

tater

|CoB|_Spectre
07-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Personally, I don't see much value in the invisible runway (no pun intended) given us in the 4.01 patch. A settable turf, dirt or coral runway would be of far greater utility to the mission builder, especially if the aircraft could taxi off to the side without blowing up. I built a late ETO mission once that had German aircraft operating from roads and they didn't suffer from detonation when taxiing off the ad hoc runway.

VFS-214_Hawk
07-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by |CoB|_Spectre:
Personally, I don't see much value in the invisible runway (no pun intended) given us in the 4.01 patch. A settable turf, dirt or coral runway would be of far greater utility to the mission builder, especially if the aircraft could taxi off to the side without blowing up. I built a late ETO mission once that had German aircraft operating from roads and they didn't suffer from detonation when taxiing off the ad hoc runway.

From what I can see, the invisable "grass" strip or as we know it as test runway 4....was designed spacificly for airstarts...thus no runway visable...as in out in the middle of the water or over uneven terrain or up in the mountains.

Willey
07-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Could you please make runways 1 and 2 capable of ground starts for dogfight map as well?

|CoB|_Spectre
07-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by VFS-214_Hawk:
From what I can see, the invisable "grass" strip or as we know it as test runway 4....was designed spacificly for airstarts...thus no runway visable...as in out in the middle of the water or over uneven terrain or up in the mountains.

Hmmm...a runway designed for airstarts...seems like a contradiction in terms unless it's for the landing phase, but it would be hard to locate, I would think. I guess I'm not thinking "outside the box" on this one.

VFS-214_Hawk
07-03-2005, 08:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VFS-214_Hawk:

Hmmm...a runway designed for airstarts...seems like a contradiction in terms unless it's for the landing phase, but it would be hard to locate, I would think. I guess I'm not thinking "outside the box" on this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well lets forget about the "Dogfight Srver" and think "Oleg" here:

Mission builders can use it to eliminate long flights. Lets take Okinawa for example. Most IJA fighters and suicide planes flew all the way to Oki from Kyushu, thats a three hour flight. Instead of creating a mission that requires a three hour flight, or creating a runway in the middle of the water that looks utterly STUPID, the game model uses "blank" runways in order to create a "starting point" for aircraft. Kinda like a short cut.

In this game you have to have a runway in order to create a starting point, wether you start from the ground or in the air..."Airstart"

It also works for dogfight servers but is better coordinated for coordinating timmed attacks.

Heck, I cant explain it any better than that.

|CoB|_Spectre
07-04-2005, 06:40 AM

In this game you have to have a runway in order to create a starting point, wether you start from the ground or in the air..."Airstart"

I guess this is what's confusing me. I have extensive FMB experience, but almost exclusively for co-ops and I never needed a runway for a mission to airstart. I simply set the initial waypoint at a given altitude and airspeed and...voila...the aircraft, whether manned or AI, begins at that point.

While we're on the subject of airstarts, earlier in IL-2's history the mission would begin and the aircraft did not throttle to idle with the accompanying loss of airspeed and altitude as it does presently. Why this feature was injected into the sim is beyond me and I've never seen an explanation as to why it is necessary. Numerous other desireable features have been changed for the worse, IMHO, such as losing the ability to padlock ships. Used to be, ships were treated as any other ground object. I find the command to "attack my target" very useful to AI, but it no longer works on naval objects.

VFS-214_Hawk
07-04-2005, 08:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VFS-214_Hawk:

I guess this is what's confusing me. I have extensive FMB experience, but almost exclusively for co-ops and I never needed a runway for a mission to airstart. I simply set the initial waypoint at a given altitude and airspeed and...voila...the aircraft, whether manned or AI, begins at that point.

While we're on the subject of airstarts, earlier in IL-2's history the mission would begin and the aircraft did not throttle to idle with the accompanying loss of airspeed and altitude as it does presently. Why this feature was injected into the sim is beyond me and I've never seen an explanation as to why it is necessary. Numerous other desireable features have been changed for the worse, IMHO, such as losing the ability to padlock ships. Used to be, ships were treated as any other ground object. I find the command to "attack my target" very useful to AI, but it no longer works on naval objects. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh darn, I was wrong again.....maybe it WAS for dogfight map...heck I give up

|CoB|_Spectre
07-04-2005, 12:43 PM

Oh darn, I was wrong again.....maybe it WAS for dogfight map...heck I give up

Don't do that! Shoot, if I had given up everytime I was wrong, I would've disappeared a long time ago. I appreciate your ideas, it's how we all learn.

VFS-214_Hawk
07-04-2005, 03:05 PM
I remember flying in a dogfight server before patch 4.00. There was an airstart but when you looked down in the water, there was an ugly metal runway in the water. Now with the new patch and runway 4, during airstarts over water, there is no ugly runway to look at.

p1ngu666
07-04-2005, 05:07 PM
id like a low runway thats just under the waterline so that when u land u get a really cool waterspray http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VFS-214_Hawk
07-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Have you ever tried putting a runway on a mountain top with one end about 1,000 hanging in mid air? kinda neat!

plumps_
07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
What I don't understand is why the invisible test runway #4 is as long as the longest concrete runways that we find on regular airbases in FB: 1600 metres. So it's even longer than the other test runways which are 1000 m or 1200 m long respectively.

The invisible runway would be great to build temporary forward or hidden airfields. But these would have much shorter runways than regular bases.

Also now it's very hard to find flat ground large enough so those long runways will neither hang in the air nor disappear inside a hill.

This is what it looks like when the player's flight spawns at the end of a test runway that disappears in the landscape:

http://1rl.de/for/ubi/testrunway4.jpg

An invisible runway that's only half as long as the one we have would be nice.