PDA

View Full Version : Why is it you never hear anything about Erich Hartmann?

Shawdawg
04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm guessing most people know about Erich Hartmann, the highest scoring fighter pilot ever, with 352 kills.

But no matter what, you never hear about him. Il-2 Forgotten Battles FORGETS about him, I think the 1st game had his plane. He shot down 345 russian planes, but all most things feature when it comes to German aces is Galland, Nowotony and others.

I think it's sad that the highest scoring pilot ever doesn't get any good recoginition, either in games, or on military/history shows.

Shawdawg
04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm guessing most people know about Erich Hartmann, the highest scoring fighter pilot ever, with 352 kills.

But no matter what, you never hear about him. Il-2 Forgotten Battles FORGETS about him, I think the 1st game had his plane. He shot down 345 russian planes, but all most things feature when it comes to German aces is Galland, Nowotony and others.

I think it's sad that the highest scoring pilot ever doesn't get any good recoginition, either in games, or on military/history shows.

FE_pilot
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
He has a AI plane modeled in IL-2 1946.

There are many ww2 aces that you almost never hear of, including Erich Hartmann.

The ones you hear of are the ones that wrote books, were on TV shows etc..

He died 15 years ago, so that could be also why you never hear of him anymore.

Shawdawg
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah...I saw that he did die about 15 years ago, but we still see shows about older WWI aces and such things like that, and you still hear tons of stuff about the Red Baron.

Not saying that Hartmann was as well known as the Red Baron, but his kill record deserves to be highlighted on some program.

Shawdawg
04-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I didn't notice they still had his AI plane modeled in this game....does it actually fly like he did?

I know he stalked, and just came as close as possible, in blind spots, and shot when he knew he could hit.

FE_pilot
04-12-2007, 10:36 PM
His AI plane level is set at Expert Ace, so when I add him to QMB, i try to avoid him like the plague.

He doesn't stalk but he is one hell of a marksman.
Thats the only thing that is modeled to real Erich Hartmann.

Skycat_2
04-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Hartmann was featured in a recent issue of Aviation History. He isn't forgotten by people who have an interest in WWII air combat.

In IL-2 1946 (and I believe FB also) you can select Hartmann's 109G-6 as your opponent in the Quick Mission Builder. I don't know if any special properties are associated with his plane and with the other aces though. In the DGen careers the various aces are available as special units that can randomly appear in missions until they are killed and removed from the pool.

Edit: Yes, the IL-2 Hartmann is a tremendous marksman. I just watched him decimate an A-20 with a quick burst. Do the aces have stronger weapons also? That would be a bit too CFS-3ish, LOL!

ViktorViktor
04-13-2007, 01:02 AM
I think one reason we don't hear much about Hartmann is that that is probably how he wanted it. He caught alot of flak from airware critics over his kill total - he was asked to prove time and time again after the war that he had really shot down so many. I remember during the 60s and 70s, the common opinion was that German kill claims were a bunch of baloney, and Hartmann was at the top of the list. He still had his first logbook but the second was confiscated (by Americans, I think before they handed him over to the Soviets) and disappeared without a trace (used as toilet paper by the ignorant?). On top of that he spent 10 years in Soviet prisons as punishment for having fought against them during the war, so he went thru alot of things that most people want to keep private and try to forget. Unlike us, having experienced war, he did not glorify it.