PDA

View Full Version : Deflection shooting & general gunnery tips needed

blazer-glory
08-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I understand deflection shooting. I've tried deflection shooting. I can't DO deflection shooting! Has anyone got any tips on deflection shooting. I NEVER get the distance right. Also, can someone tell me the purpose of the gunsight target ring.

JG52Uther
08-27-2005, 12:52 PM
I could tell you but then you would shoot me down http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Practice a lot with one plane to get the basics(maybe a P51 D20-NA,which has a good gunsight)

blazer-glory
08-27-2005, 12:56 PM
lol
I realize practice makes up about 99% of what it takes to improve but the other 1% can only come from experienced pilots who have developed their own techniques. I know theres no quick fix but I would'nt mind a few pointers.

NorrisMcWhirter
08-27-2005, 01:17 PM
There is no technique, really. There are many factors which come into play and your brain just needs training to know when to fire.

There are a couple of aids, however:
a. The P51 sight, as already suggested, as this will show you where to shoot if enabled.
b. There was a spreadsheet floating around where you could plug some numbers in and it would show you a graphic of when to start shooting. It served no useful purpose to me, whatsover, but the spreadsheet itself was a work of art.

Ta,
Norris

John_Wayne_
08-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Have a look here, amigo.

http://www.airwarfare.com/tactics/tactics_fwgunnery.htm

Xiolablu3
08-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Practise with no cockpit on.

Deflection shooting is much much harder with cockpit on because it involves a lot of guesswork of where your quarry is cos your engine is blocking the view. But you must learn how to do it even before you attempt the 'guess when you cant see him' shot.

I'm afraid deflection shooting is mostly about 'feel' at the time of shooting. I never look at any rings or work out any calculations, you just have to make a very quick decision on the spot and shoot, you never know when an enemy is going to manouvre into your crosshair and he rarely keeps heading the the same direction for more than a second if you are on his tail (if hes a good pilot)

Use no cockpit to get good at deflection shooting, then add the cockpit, and that extra factor of guesswork when you cant see him.

60% of my kills on warclouds have involved shooting when I cant even see the enemy, hes behind my engine.

Bearcat99
08-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Practice with unlimited ammo......... and a flex pit.. meaning have the pit set so that you can turn it on or off on the fly. Once you get decent with an open pit go more and more to a closed one. Try to always use your ammo as it you were using limited ammo. Once you begin to get a feel for it.... use limited ammo. Keep in mind speed and angle of attack are crucial.

JG54_Arnie
08-27-2005, 05:02 PM
My suggestion.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Go hard settings, but use icons, everything else off. Get the ride you want to learn the shooting in and fly QMB missions vs 16 fighters of your choice. Put them on average level or rookie and pick your angles.
Rudder is essential for good deflection shooting!

I recommend harder settings because things like unlimited ammo make you lazy and allow you to shoot in way too long bursts that make it easier to hit your target. Practise in such a way that you try to get the shortests bursts possible on target on any angle. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jumoschwanz
08-28-2005, 08:18 AM
First, use the right terminology.

A Deflection Shot, is when you fire your guns as a foes plane, that is traveling at some angle to your direction of travel, flies through the bullet stream your guns are putting out.

A Lead-shot, is when you are following a foes plane, and "pull-lead", or aim ahead of his directin of travel, so the arc of your projectiles hit the foe instead of falling behind.

All you have to do to master these techniques is practice, a lot. Then when they come out with a new patch, you can practice some more, because they changed the FM of the projectiles maybe, or something else that affects it.

Of the two, I have found being able to make shots and hit foes that are traveling at 45-90 degrees to your own direction of travel is the most valuable tool you can have, as it increases the opportunity of hitting your foe many, many times over just being able to make shots from his six.

When you no longer have to worry about manuevering to an opponents six to shoot, you are at a huge advantage over the average combat sim-pilot. You open up many more options during a fight, and you are not as dependent on the type of plane you are flying, as you do not have to hold any arc while making a shot, or you do not have to be at the same speed as your foe.

Recently I joined one of those 1 vs.1 servers that pop-up on Hyperlobby frequently. The server/host wanted to fly 109G2s, the settings were dead-full-real, no icons or any other arcade fixtures.
I put the dual gunpods on my 109. They cause a slight decrease in speed, acceleration and manuevering ability, but I planned to rely on sensational shot-making, rather than aerobatics to bring down my foe.

The opponent, a member of a eastern-bloc squad flew the bare 109g2 with a single nose cannon, and was ready to turn fight. This was evident as he would try and get me to follow him up so I would stall out below him. I simply flew straight instead of following him, got away a bit, and when he was on his way down I was able to make a shot at some angly between head-on and ninety degrees.
I did get into a few short turn fights with him, and I did take a few minor hits, but with triple his firepower, being a good shot, and being able to make delfection shots with some regularity, I managed to defeat him eight times in a row.
With these skills, I can go onto a server and jump into many different planes, ones I am not used to flying, and do ok because my shot-making does not depend on being able to fly my plane to the edge of it's envelope.
Instead of turning a lot to get on an opponents six, I can just turn a little because all I have to do is have him cross my path at any angle.

Becoming proficient at these kinds of shot-making with the cockpit-on, is what makes a pilot in this sim a true artist and poet.

Jumoschwanz

dieg777
08-28-2005, 08:27 AM
see link in my sig to snapshot there is a tip sheet and practice missions and links to other guides

- missions only works if you have merged install

vanjast
08-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Here's the easiest way.
Once you have youself lined up with the 'Pip' (centre of sight) on your target. Making sure you're flying at the same attitude (orientation), pull back on the stick and just fire for about 0.5 sec then ease the stick forward again so the plane appears above the nose.
You will find that you bullets will at first fall behind, then creep along the fuselage to the engine and beyond. This will create a lot of damage. Save the track for reference purposes...and practice.

Of course this does not stop your target from avoiding this, but you soon learn to predict these evasive actions
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

blazer-glory
08-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks lads! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif