PDA

View Full Version : Advice asked for using the Saitek X45.

rijnton1944
12-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Because I didn't like the way my Logitech joystick performed, today I bought a Saitek X 45. At first sight at least the primary functions, e.g. for aileron and elevator work much more pleasant than with the Logitech. However the rest looks rather complicated, at least to me, being a beginner. I see a lot of buttons and switches. Browsing through the forums I saw that a lot of you have the Saitek X 45 too. So I would like to ask for some advice
1) Is it advisable to install the SST software as well and make a profile with it ?
2) If so, what would be a simple, good working profile ?
3) What is the Pinkie Switch meant for ?
4) I noticed that as long as the Saitek is plugged in some buttons are lighted. I suppose there is no other way to switch this off than unplugging ?
I would apprteciate it very much if you have any other tips on using the Saitek .

MEGILE
12-05-2004, 02:56 PM
I once made a profile for LOMAC.. but found it pretty hard to remember and went back to using the keyboard.
hehe profiles I think are good when there are a few controls, but for a game which has many different control combinations, a stick with more buttons would be advisable.
As if the X-45 didn't have enough http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif
I found it hard to arrange controls on the stick in a nice group.. my airbreak was over here, and my flaps were over there, and my radar was down here.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
I need a cougar. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

rijnton1944
12-05-2004, 03:24 PM
I forgot to say which game my questions were meant for, but it is for PF+AEP+FB.

Bearcat99
12-05-2004, 03:36 PM
1)Yes absolutely...

2)Hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig and go to Adlabs' X45 profiles.. or find any post by Tully the Joystick man. The best way to remember the functions is to use them. I have my own X45 and it is pretty intuitive.

3)The pinkie switch can be used for whateve you want but it is also designed as a shift button. Therefore you have modes 1,2 &3 then mode 1+pinkie, 2+ pinkie & 3+pinkie.

4)The lights are there.. they dont taker up too much power I wouldnt worry about them.

Make sure that once you install the SST software and download a few profiles that yopu activate them before you use them by hitting the black button in the software interface that looks like a gunsight.

Marek_Steele
12-05-2004, 04:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rijnton1944:

1) Is it advisable to install the SST software as well and make a profile with it ?
2) If so, what would be a simple, good working profile ?
3) What is the Pinkie Switch meant for ?
4) I noticed that as long as the Saitek is plugged in some buttons are lighted. I suppose there is no other way to switch this off than unplugging ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Yes, this will install mouse and keyboard emulation. Dowload the latest version from saitek's site, else you'll have lots of problems if you have a p4 with HT.
2) Look for Tully's post's in his sig there's a link for lots of info and a nice profile. But with time, there's always nothing better than yours!
3) If you're not using a profile it's just anotter button, else if you configure it as being a shift as it's meant to it in the profiler, you can assign alternative functions to every button or hat if you press both at the same time. By that way you'll be able to create 6 modes, the 3 normal ones and 3 with shifted state.
4) Some lights are always on, buttons A,B,Launch,D and then the leds on the throttle's base, the are the only important ones that tell you on wich mode is your profile (you can assigen completely different button assignments for each, plus the shift states as I told you above). Oh, and yeah, must live with them.

rijnton1944
12-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the help.
One more question: I noticed that the throttle was rather tight, so that it needed some force to move it and I didn't feel the detents, that should be there. I already found out that I can change the friction with a screw at the bottom and now it is easier to move. However, although I can now "feel" the detents, it's very subtle. Is that normal or has the friction screw maybe been too much screwed in and has that damaged the thing ? ( I bought it as a new one and the tightness was there as I bought it). In other words should I better go back with it to the shop where I bought it ?
Oh yeah. Two more questions came up. ( The longer I play the game and use the controller, the more questions come up, I can't help it):
1) Should the controller icon always be in the system tray when I want to use a profile ?
2) Have I understood it correct that after opening and saving a profile, I still have to assign the commands in Hardware Setup > Inputs ?

GvSAP_Wingnut
12-05-2004, 06:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rijnton1944:

1) Should the controller icon always be in the system tray when I want to use a profile ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it has to be. Even if it's not there automatically, when you run the Saitek profiler program, the controller icon appears in the tray. Just right click and select your profile to load. The only other way I know to load a profile would be to run the profile editor from the start menu, open the profile, then launch it. That's a lot of unnecessary steps though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) Have I understood it correct that after opening and saving a profile, I still have to assign the commands in Hardware Setup > Inputs ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of the commands that you send with your Saitek are keyboard commands - if they don't match your IL2 setup, nothing will happen. So yes, you have to assign the commands in IL2 inputs setup. Normally you would do this first, then program your x45 to match. It's a bit frustrating because there's no "nice" way of printing out the input assignments you've made in IL2... about the only thing you can do is print the settings.ini file for the current pilot in the users folder. A nice little "add-on" would be a program that would print out key assignments that is easy to understand (hint to all you pgogrammers out there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif because the input screen in IL2 doesn't always match the settings.ini - for example "toggle seat position" in the setup screen is "cockpit up" in the settings file. That took a little while to figure out when setting up Voice Buddy.

And just to head off what is usually a stumbling block for new x45 users: the aux switch. I and many others use it for wide, normal, and gunsight views and it works fine, but you have to assign the commands correctly - use the advance feature in the Saitek program to assign those keys.

Hope this helps.

Bearcat99
12-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Keep in mind that there are several inputs in the controls section that have default assignments but those assignments can be deleted and reassigned once you assign the command in the HOTAS section. For example....all of the Aircraft controls..... once you put elevator, aileron etc on your stick there is no need to keep keys assigned to them. This makes the reassigning that much easier. Same thing with the power and pitch assignments. It will take some thought... but it is wort the time.

adlabs6
12-05-2004, 09:52 PM
My Saitek icon is always in my system tray, it loads when I boot up. Before game play, I right click it, and pick the profile that I want loaded from the little popup list.

As for the throttle friction, I've only adjusted mine once right after I bought it. I was never really tight, and I prefered it a bit more loose anyway. I don't think I've changed it in nearly two years since then. The detents are very subtle on my throttle anyway, almost unnoticeable. I never use the dents personally.

Be sure to take the time to properly configure FB to use the commands that are programed on the stick. Otherwise some stick command that you didn't setup in FB may trigger something unwanted in the game, probably right when you're trying to get a kill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fehler
12-05-2004, 11:36 PM
I took my throttle apart the day I bought it and cleaned the plastic and rubber friction surfaces in it. I then set the screw as loose as I could until the throttle would just barely stay in position and not allow gravity to move it forward.

Also remember to use some sort of lubricant in the cup area of the joystick. I use a small wax birthday candle. It will really help make the thing very smooth.

A lot of people dont like the joystick, I do personally. It fits my hand like a glove and as long as you arent ham fisted with it, it will last a very long time.

I have been using my X-45 without problems now for nearly 3 years. The only thing I have had to replace was the trigger switch which I got at radio shack and soldered it in.

I have also taken and wired in a set of analog CH pedals to replace the input from the rocker rudder switch on the throttle. A very easy thing to do...

Tully__
12-06-2004, 04:15 AM
The throttle detents on mine were so annoyingly tight that I took it apart and removed that part of the mechanism. As I don't much fly jets much, the lack of detents is not an issue. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Opiate364
12-06-2004, 05:13 AM
If I may make a suggestion:

Set up a chart with word or some other program so that when you set up your profile you can remember all the inputs. Here is an example of one that was started a while back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Undertow22/untitled.jpg

rijnton1944
12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
I think I am beginning to understand it, but to be sure:
So after opening and activating a profile I DON'T have to assign all the commands again to the joystick buttons ? I asked and ask this, because with the Logitech Profiler you could also use downloaded profiles, but you still had to assign the commands to the appropiate joystick buttons the way you wanted it. The only thing that matters is that the keyboard commands under Control do match the keyboard commands used in the profile ? Let's say for a start I use Tully's profile, which looks not too complicated, and I have only one pilot, I can leave the Controls to the default settings and all I have to do is open and save the profile and start the game. After that the joystick buttons etc. are automatically set the way as in the profile ?
And suppose I want to make some changes to e.g.that profile I can open the profile, apply the changes and save it under another name ?
Btw, as far as I can judge now the Saitek is much more accurate than the Logitech Freedom I used before. When I look in Hardware setup > Input, I see only a green square, whereas with the Logitech I also saw a partial red square

Tully__
12-06-2004, 06:58 PM
rijnton1944, that's pretty much it, though some controls don't have keyboard assignments by default. Both my profile and adlabs come with a readme that will tell you if you need to make any extra keyboard assignments for the profile to be fully functional, but even without those extra assignments the controls that have default keyboard assignments will still work.

HansKnappstick
12-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Great info! Thanks!

As I intend to be a proud owner of an X52 soon, I would be interested if a profile for X45 can be "imported" into that new one?

rijnton1944
12-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Wanted to let you know that I like both profiles (Tully's and Adlabs) I am still doubting which one suits me best.
Because I want to be able to play completely without a keyboard I added Escape and Pause to it, so now I do litterally everything with the Saitek.

sithgod
12-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Is the X52 Saitek the coolest thing or is it not worth the extra dosh over the X45?

adlabs6
12-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Wanted to let you know that I like both profiles (Tully's and Adlabs) I am still doubting which one suits me best.
Because I want to be able to play completely without a keyboard I added Escape and Pause to it, so now I do litterally everything with the Saitek. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you like our profiles. Maybe try picking the parts you like from each, and edit them together along with your own additions for the ultimate personal profile. It takes a while to get it all setup, but the many pleasurable hours of gaming afterwards are well worth that small investment of time.

rijnton1944
12-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks again.
Still have a question for Tully and/or Fehler:
How did you take the throttle part apart ? I unscrewed the 4 philips srews on the bottom and the frictions screw as well, but couldn't separate both halfs. Do you need some force and isn't there a risk that all kinds of springs etc. fly around ?
And: Wouldn't silicon spray be a good lubricant. As far as I know it should be safe for synthetics. I also use it for parts of my mountainbike.

Tully__
12-13-2004, 07:08 PM
It's been a while... I'll have a look when I get home tonight. From memory there are no springs attached to the base.

Akronnick
12-14-2004, 05:29 AM
You Have to remove the hex screws on the top of the base as well.