PDA

View Full Version : magnetos, superchargers and engine stops, oh, my

dashman
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm getting a big kick out of the Pirates campaign, but flying it brings up a couple of general questions I've had for a while(and one campaign/Aircraft specific one).

- Why is there a control option for magnetos? When and why would you use that, since they are (I think) the spark that makes the machine go and their function seems like an 'assumed'.

- I understand superchargers are for compensating for lack of oxygen at high altitude - any thoughts about how to take advantage of them?

- In the 2nd phase of Pirates, while on the Aircraft carrier deck, the plane (what kind is it: I don't know, my bad) will turn over then quit, sometimes several times. I assume this is a realistic thing to have happen, but hasn't in any other A/C I've flown in IL2. Is there a proper way to start it to avoid this, and something I should do in flight to avoid having the engine sort of sputter a bit? I'm flying at low altitude so I assume the supercharger is not an issue.

Thanks, and thanks again for the campaign, Ba5tard5word! It's fun and interesting.

Tully__
02-06-2009, 07:07 PM
The magneto control is there for those that like to go through full startup procedures. Part of the startup check list is to set RPM to about 1500-1800, turn off one magneto, then back on, then do the same for the other. If the engines stop when either magneto is turned off or fail to drop in RPM slightly for either magneto, it's an indication there's a problem somewhere in the ignition system.

Supercharger should be changed to the next higher setting (where applicable, not all aircraft had manually controlled switchable supercharger) at a certain altitude. The altitude varies depending on aircraft type, there should be an aircraft guide PDF document in your game folder or on your game disk somewhere.

dashman
02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks, Tully. Your magneto explanation makes total sense. I saw magneto referred to in the very interesting U-Tube clip with the P-38L and the pilot who I understand died sometime later in a P-38 at an airshow. The beginning of the clip was cut off so I missed some of what he was saying, though I may not have understood it then without an explanation like yours. I've had it mapped to my controls for some time without knowing what it did - just sounded cool, I guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I know I've got the PDF guide so I'll check out the supercharger deal, thanks.

ace1328fw190
02-06-2009, 08:51 PM
is this divine winds pirates campaign? if so...you might be using the gladiator (J8A) and this has an early radial (dont know if this is right) engine and any inverted dive, the engine will probly cut out, so you have to roll over and pull up

hope this helps

dashman
02-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your response, ace, but I'm talking about Air Pirates by Ba5tard5word.

I went back to his notes and the plane I'm talking about is I-16type24 SPB. The IL2 A/C guide doesn't get into the specifics about its engine quirks, but maybe I have to fly upside down for a second in it, too.

Whhhheeeeeeeee!

b2spirita
02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Like the gladiator the I-16 also has a gravity fuel feed, so if you nose down or fly inverted the engine is starved of fuel and cuts out.

dashman
02-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks, b2spirita,

Is there somewhere other than googling each A/C that you can find that kind of info? As I mentioned, I checked with the Guide and there was na-da.

Does that have anything to do with the engine stopping while waiting to take off from the A Carrier? (I tend not to nose down or get inverted while on the deck - usually http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Thanks.

Ba5tard5word
02-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey, I'm glad you're enjoying it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'll send you a PM about the difficulty...

Ba5tard5word
02-07-2009, 03:07 PM
yeah as I said in the PM, the "weather and turbulence" makes the I-16 engine quit most of the time on the carrier for some reason, and the "torque and gyro effects" pulls the plane to the left unless you slowly increase the throttle, it's doable to take off but tricky because you have to take off at a very low speed.

I didn't realize those made such a big difference to I-16 carrier take offs, sorry.

If you had to turn one off I'd turn off wind and turbulence. You can't change the difficulty settings if you've already started a campaign, so if you want to keep it on for the other missions, just quit that 2nd mission at the beginning and hit "apply" to go on to the next mission, or if you want it off restart the campaign and either replay through the 1st mission again or quit it and hit "apply" to go to the 2nd mission, it's up to you.

UPDATE: yeah I just tried the same mission with a Zero instead and its engine didn't quit like that, I guess the I-16 doesn't like a little light wind.

Also I pretty much always fly offline with complex engine management off and engine overheat off because the enemy planes never overheat and always manage their engines like experts, plus I'm just not very good at the complex engine stuff yet.

dashman
02-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Ba5tard5word - got you mail - thanks.

I'm really not having too much trouble taking off at full throttle - I manage it about 8 times out of ten. I just keep the stick a little to the right and it works.

I didn't realize you couldn't change difficulty in mid-campaign, but that makes sense. I think I will go back and start over, maybe with the 'apply' suggestion you made (although I'm having more difficulty taking out the enemy in the 2nd mission!)

Weird that the wind and turbulence would affect the engine that way. Just saying that because I wouldn't know if there is a good reason for that or if it's a quirk.

Thanks for the info!

WTE_Galway
02-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by dashman:
Thanks, b2spirita,

Is there somewhere other than googling each A/C that you can find that kind of info? As I mentioned, I checked with the Guide and there was na-da.

Does that have anything to do with the engine stopping while waiting to take off from the A Carrier? (I tend not to nose down or get inverted while on the deck - usually http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Thanks.

In terms of engine cutout think back to the old war movies where the planes dived away by banking in formation first - it wasn't just to look cool it was to stop the engine cutting out.

There are a number of downloads that give you information about the planes including Hardballs and Il2Wingman and IL2 Compare.

I do not have links to the others but you can download Il2 Compare here:

http://www.mission4today.com/i...&file=details&id=329 (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=329))

dashman
02-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks WTE,

I mentioned in some other related recent post (I don't know, maybe this one...it's been a long day) that I did check this out also on Hardball and there was nothing. I'll check out the link you have there - it seems like I may already have made a shortcut for it in the past that I forgot about haven't thought to check it out in the last couple of days.

Thanks for the old movie visual, makes sense.

Ba5tard5word
02-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah Hardball is great and was super useful for this campaign, but it doesn't really list some of the peculiarities of some planes...it's mainly stats and the pros and cons of them.

But yeah the engine cutout I guess is like B2Spirita said, some sort of a fuel line issue. You just have to get used to the handling of the I-16 or other engines with that issue.

Anyway I'm still curious about why the I-16's engine won't start if it's launching from an aircraft carrier with "wind and turbulence" on...I tried taking off in one from land with the weather set to "rain/snow" and the engine worked like normal though I got blown off the airfield by the wind, heh.

Maybe the ship bobbing up and down makes the engine cut out?

Pyrres
02-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:

But yeah the engine cutout I guess is like B2Spirita said, some sort of a fuel line issue. You just have to get used to the handling of the I-16 or other engines with that issue.

It happens becouse of the gravity fed carburetor. No more fuel before positive g manouvers. Engine gets wrong air/fuel mixture and cuts of.

WTE_Galway
02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Pyrres:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:

It happens becouse of the gravity fed carburetor. No more fuel before positive g manouvers. Engine gets wrong air/fuel mixture and cuts of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes ...

Some planes its lack of fuel.

Some planes the carby float sticks open and you get too much fuel and it floods.

The Merlin in the very early Spitfire and Hurricane manages to do both one after the other .. starvation followed by flooding.