PDA

View Full Version : Rookie, need advice!

Blackregiment
02-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Hello all,

So I just picked this game up, and am trying my best to get my wheels off the ground and remain in one piece. Thank you Bearcat, your beginner's guide is a Godsend and has aided me immensely.

Everything is workable, but there is one problem, one that I'm not sure if it is hardware related or pilot error. I'm on phase one, simply learning to fly and land. The problem is, everytime I go up my plane has a tendency to pull to the left and down. I read that engine torque will pull the plane to the left, however believe this only applies to takeoff?

Level flight is extremely difficult, I am always having to make adjustments. Autopilot has no effect on this. My joystick is calibrated perfectly in windows and shows the same in-game.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be? Thanks for any help.

M_Gunz
02-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Watching your speed is important as if you get too slow it can be critical. "everytime I go up my plane has a tendency to pull to the left and down" sounds like you are running close-to/into stall, especially if it's soon after take-off and doubly so if you are trying to follow your flight by keeping your nose pointed at them. Been there, done it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Best thing to do after take-off and any time you are low and slow is to keep your nose down, stay level if you can't lose height safely (otherwise let it drop a few 10's of meters to pick up speed quicker) until you're running well over 260 kph (160 mph), more like 300 kph (190 mph) and then only climb as much as lets you build or keep your speed.

I remember one time not being able to get up to speed until a buddy noticed my flaps were down. At least I had the gear up!

There are constant adjustments to make as every change in power/speed/course requires a trim change to fly just so. During times with loads of maneuvering you won't be flying just so but part of how ace you are is how close you do keep it trimmed. Bud Anderson wrote in his biography about constantly trimming his P-51 during combat in order to lessen stick forces. In IL2 if you are pulling a hard turn that's going to slow you down, be adding nose up trim during the turn so you come out somewhere in the ballpark -- that may be 20 key taps if you are using keys to trim!

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah, it's torque, that engine is spinning that propeller all the time (you hope anyway) not just at takeoff so it is constantly trying to spin the aircraft the other way, also like a gyroscope if you push on it in one direction it will tend to move in a direction 90deg. from the input (i.e. move the stick or just change the position of the plane and you will get a slight wobble or roll from the gyroscopic forces). So a plane will almost never stay perfectly level without needing to make adjustments in trim and power.

Ba5tard5word
02-18-2011, 01:50 PM
There is some pull but I find that if you have Torque and Gyro Effects on, Wind and Turbulence on, Flutter Effect on, and Stalls and Spins on, then the plane's torque should generally keep the plane flying pretty straight. I think if you turn torque and gyro effects off, it actually makes your plane veer to the side even more because you have no torque to pull you back.

Many planes in Il-2, especially German ones, only have elevator trim (which makes you go up and down) and I find that in just about every plane in the game, I can get pretty level flight at top speed if I tap the trim down key 10 times to keep my nose from constantly moving up. Some planes require a lot more taps, like Japanese planes, I think the Ki-84 needs like 30. The P-40 is the only one I know that needs less than 10, you can do 5 with it.

Some planes have rudder trim and elevator trim only, like British planes, but again I don't mess with anything but elevator trim. American planes have aileron trim also, but again I don't mess with it.

Again generally I find that those 10 taps are all I need since generally I fly at max throttle or a bit slower. But if you fly a lot slower or say your plane is damaged and you can't go slower, you might want to raise your elevator trim a bit to keep level, or your nose might drop.

Also using rudders is super important for keeping your plane straight, especially when taking off or landing or when lining up a shot against the enemy. If you don't have anything to control your rudders you'll be sliding and veering all over the place, and if you have poor rudder control like on a twist stick or keyboard or whatever you'll really be veering around.

You should take a look at this to see what the different difficulty settings do and turn on the stuff I suggested:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/8421008855 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8421008855)

Blackregiment
02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I'm still having the same problem. I decided to try the P51, and it was fine last night for some reason, but this morning with the LA-5 it's the same thing.

Take off is also an issue. Getting up to speed is fine, I have flaps on takeoff, but as soon as I start lifting off my left wing seems to be hit by a gust of wind and I bank hard to the left and slam into the ground. When taxiing (sp?) to the runway, my plane seems to pull to the left and applying right rudder barely does anything. My rudder shows that it's not calibrated dead center in input, but it's so minimal I can't imagine it would have such an effect.

My speed is more than adequate so stalling is not the issue. This is becoming very frustrating because my stick is calibrated, I've followed all tutorials in-game and on here and I can't for the life of me think of what the problem is. I've tried trim, nothing works.

On a side note: are there any landing strips that actually have a paved runway instead of simply grass strips to practice on? Seeing them (much less lining up for an approach) is extraordinarily difficult.

Thanks again.

EDIT: @ Urufu

I understand I will never be flying perfectly straight and level all the time and it will require adjustments, but this is a drastic bank to the left. Meaning when I let go of the stick, my left wingtip will be pointing at the ground within 5-10 seconds.

Strange, as it only seems to be a problem on the LA-5s. The P-51 flys beautifully.

Zeus-cat
02-18-2011, 07:22 PM
In the Nugget's Guide is a recommendation to download and play my training campaign: "Straight From the Farm". I assume you know very little - that you are literally straight from the farm and have not seen one of them thar aeroeplanes before. I show you step by step how to take off and land from grass strips and then aircraft carriers. You use a very friendly airplane, the SBD-3. I have almost 10,000 downloads for this campaign and many, many, many thank yous from people like you. Follow the link below.

The missions are very short, usually less than 5 minutes each.

Bearcat99
02-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Make sure you have your elevator and aileron trim set to neutral .. and rudder trim set so that the ball is in the center.. IN the Nugget's Guide Skycat has a post with some screens from a F-6 I think it is.. in the 4th cockput screen just above the magenta square you will see a gauge with a horizontal white strip that almost looks like a smile.. and there is a black ball in the center... that ball will move when you hit your rudder.. or your rudder trim.. Make sure it is in the center...

M_Gunz
02-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Blackregiment:
Thanks for the advice, but I'm still having the same problem. I decided to try the P51, and it was fine last night for some reason, but this morning with the LA-5 it's the same thing.

Take off is also an issue. Getting up to speed is fine,

I write this because you say speed is fine yet you don't say what your speed is and I can't be sure. I can't ignore it because if you're not straight on this then you will always have mystery problems.

This is where a LOT of players used to flight sims that show MPH or KTS have a major blind-spot-stumbling-block. They read and agree about the difference between miles per hour and kilometers per hour yet when they start playing, they see 200 as having plenty of speed. 200 kph is about 125 mph. P-51 with any much load stalls at 105 mph, about 170 kph. 200 kph is SLOW for these planes.

I will bring this up again where you mention speed again.

If you need to, change your speedbar to read MPH instead of KPH.

I have flaps on takeoff, but as soon as I start lifting off my left wing seems to be hit by a gust of wind and I bank hard to the left and slam into the ground.

I may be a little confused here so let me know if I have this wrong.

I'll go with nice gentle 1940 Hurricane off a concrete airfield as an example.

1) engine off at the end of the runway, lock the tail wheel, hold the brakes down and stick back to keep the tail down
2) start engine and slowly increase to 50% power with brakes still on, using some bit of rudder to keep the nose straight
3) let off the brakes and start rolling. plane wants to go left so right rudder but not hard and keeping back stick
4) increasing power slowwwwly, now 60% and letting up on the elevator (or the Hurri will try and take off at 130 kph.. it can!)
5) speed increasing, the tail comes off the ground and the plane goes from wanting to veer left to wanting to veer right, small wonder as I have the rudder to the right and need to match the change.

Always be ready for the change when the tail lifts off the runway, if you're flying a taildragger that is!

6) I can keep the nose down to stay on the runway or just let the plane fly itself off the ground at about 170kph if that.

At no point did I use the flaps or ailerons.

When taxiing (sp?) to the runway, my plane seems to pull to the left and applying right rudder barely does anything. My rudder shows that it's not calibrated dead center in input, but it's so minimal I can't imagine it would have such an effect.

You can adjust your rudder sensitivity so that near center it has even less effect. Worst case, set up a small rudder dead zone.

Rudder is relative to what is needed so center is not of extreme importance as long as you stay on the rudder to keep the plane flying right. As it is, especially during takeoff and landing you do need to hold the thing in place.

Even a little change in rudder will cause the wings to tilt. You need to correct that as rudder and not with ailerons always-especially during takeoff and landing. If the rudder is pulling one way and the ailerons another then your flight will be crabbed and even at good speed you will never accelerate your best or get your best top speed. The Ball will be to one side as an indicator that you are in slip. Proper use of rudder is critical to best performance.

During takeoff or landing or when you are moving slow, use of ailerons (side stick) increases the AOA of one wing and decreases the AOA of the other. The increased AOA wing has more drag, the nose yaws a bit which slows that wing down and causes it to want to drop. More aileron to pick it up only makes things worse. At some point that wings' AOA hits the stall angle while the plane is not pointed directly where it is going, ie the plane is in slip. Stall a wing (stall is by AOA not speed) with the plane in slip and a spin will result!

Never ever use aileron to lift a wing that's dropping.. always rudder away from the wing that drops as the yaw will cause that wing to speed up and so get more lift even as the other slows a bit and gets less. A small bit of rudder when you are slow is all you need to keep your wings level. And BTW, when your are very slow like 200 kph or less do not fly by The Ball as the thing lags -- just watch the wings and keep them lined up with the horizon.

My speed is more than adequate so stalling is not the issue. This is becoming very frustrating because my stick is calibrated, I've followed all tutorials in-game and on here and I can't for the life of me think of what the problem is. I've tried trim, nothing works.

Are you reading your speed as being MPH or KPH? 200 KPH in a P-51 is not very much above stall!

On a side note: are there any landing strips that actually have a paved runway instead of simply grass strips to practice on? Seeing them (much less lining up for an approach) is extraordinarily difficult.

I use the full mission builder to set up practice from concrete runways on the Crimea map. There's a nice one down at the peninsula tip at Sevastopol. The Mission For Tonight (M4T) site has an FMB tutorial and all you need to know is enough to put 1 plane at an end of a runway, single waypoint set as Takeoff and the plane check-box as Player checked and mission saved where you can get at it as a Single Mission. The FMB is also great for setting up different practice missions. Yeah it's a PITA to use but once a mission is set up you have it to use again and again until the next reinstall/big change patch.

VW-IceFire
02-19-2011, 12:35 AM
They key for level flight is to set your power (say 90% throttle) then adjust the elevator trim down to keep the nose level and finally to watch the ball or slip indicator (depending on the plane you're flying) and try and keep that centered.

Trim requires constant adjustment but it'll become second nature and it will let you fly the plane reasonably straight and level. WWII fighters are, by and large, not a hands off affair. You have to constantly manage them.

You may want to try the P-38, Do335, or maybe the Hs129. Maybe the P-38 would be the best suggestion. The engines spin in opposite directions (counter rotating) which means that the plane doesn't veer off to the left or right. Unless the engines have different power settings. Twins are more complicated (a bit) so not sure what the answer is there.

If not those... try the 109. It's fairly simple to keep straight and level. Needs appropriate cruising speed and elevator trim only.

Blackregiment
02-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Great, thanks guys (M_Gunz http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif ), things are becoming much much more manageable. There's a few more things I'm unsure about, then it should be all gold.

1) Navigation, waypoints, and objectives. I can't find any tutorial on these things anywhere, here, M4T, in-game, nothing. Maybe it's obvious, but I've no idea where to go to find the enemy. I head to the opposite base looking for planes and just get shot down from flak. Autopilot does me no good also.

2) Are prop pitch, radiator, and mixture that important? While watching the dogfighting tutorial, I noticed the prop pitch was being constantly adjusted. Is this necessary? And how do I know when to alter mixture/change radiator settings?

I know I'm asking a lot, my apologies, but I have looked extensively and haven't found these mentioned. Is there a link or book that goes more in-depth?

Xiolablu3
02-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Planes rarely fly straight. You need to trim if you want them too. I used to compensate with the stick rather than spend a lot of time trimming. Just my style I guess.

Zeus-cat
02-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Asking questions is good. There are no stupid questions, unless you are my boss and then everything you ask seems to be stupid.

Navigation can be done by dead reckoning or using the mini-map with icons enabled. Dead reckoning is the way they did it in real life. Figure out how far you need to travel in a particular compass heading and then use a watch and your air speed and fly that distance before you turn to the next heading.

Waypoints are just the spots on the map where you are supposed to fly to in turn. Start by heading to waypoint 1, then 2, then 3, etc.

Objectives are the targets you need to destroy. The briefing SHOULD tell you this, but sometimes they do not. They vary widely by mission, so I can't tell you what they are.

It sounds like the best way for you to start is to play a user made campaign. Go to M4T and download one that sounds interesting. Start at a low rank and follow everyone else in your squadron to the target and then jump in.

Zeus-cat
02-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Prop pitch is a more advanced topic so don't worry about it right now. Use 100% until you get more of the basics covered.

Mixture is used when your aircraft reaches certain altitudes. It increases (or decreases) the oxygen/fuel ratio. The altitudes for switching vary by plane, but if you have drastically changed altitude (up or down thousands of feet) and your aircraft is sluggish or you are smoking (and you haven't been hit), then play with the mixture settings. Not all aircraft have mixture options. I believe you can find mixture setting recommendations for some aircraft on the info page in the game. 8,000 feet is usually a good place to go from 1 to 2.

Radiator is probably the most important one of these for a newbie. If you run at 100% throttle for a long time your plane will overheat and you will damage your engine. Opening the radiator (cowl flaps) will increase the air flow and keep your engine cooler. You pay for this with drag and loss of speed. You also increase the chances of being shot in the engine when they are open. It is best to keep them closed during combat if you can.

FlatSpinMan
02-19-2011, 07:18 AM
I love seeing a new fan making such an effort. Stick with it - you'll get the hang of it pretty soon.
As M_Gunz said, what speed are you at? Under 300kph is slow, even in a Hurri, except if you're landing.
I'd really recommend Zeus- Cat's campaign as it A) Teaches you how to perform the various skills and B) teaches you how to install campaigns, skins etc which are what you will need to make this game come alive.

As a general rule, keep your radiator open at 2 or 4 if it has the option. This stops the engine overheating but doesn't cause a big aerodynamic penalty. if you really need speed, close it completely while you gain some distance at full throttle, but then throttle back and open it up a bit.

Mixture adjustment depends on the plane. I fly the 109 variants mostly and it is not used at all. In the Russian and U naval planes I think it is though. They also have superchargers. Someone else will know but I think you have to change the mixture at around 3-4ooo metres altitude in the Russian planes as otherwise it will leave a dirty black line trailing behind you.
Superchargers are at stage one by default and should be switched to stage 2 at around 2,000 - 3,000 metres, roughly (maybe). As I said, I don't fly those planes so don't really know. That'll give you a rough idea at least.

Prop pitch - not too important yet and again,some planes don't have the option to adjust it.
I am very unscientific about this whole thing so if I am flying a plane with it, say the Hurricane, I tend to drop it to 70% while cruising. If I want to catch a bandit I'll go into a long shallow dive and drop prop pitch to 40 or 50%. This will increase your speed slightly.
Otherwise I just leave it around 90-100%
Again, someone who actually knows what they are talking about will help you out soon.

FlatSpinMan
02-19-2011, 07:31 AM
If you are flying in a Quick Mission Builder mission (QMB), the waypoints should put you on course to intercept the enemy within a minute or two. After a while you will know where they always come from.

In a campaign the basic idea is to just follow the waypoints - they are numbered - and yo should either run into the enemy or else see some action nearby.

If you use autopilot (and by all means, do - those long straight flights do get dull) just be aware that if you miss a waypoint in sequence when you are controlling the plane, the second you switch to AI control, the plane will head right back to the last waypoint, even if that is miles and miles behind you.

The fact that your wing is pulled one way orthat the nose keeps climbing is all totally normal. Your joystick is probably fine, it's just the plane. The 109's always try to dip a wing unless you have the nose trimmed right and are in the plane's 'sweetspot' speed.

Play around with trimming the nose first as it is more visible. Then look at rudder trim and so on but remember that NOT ALL PLANES HAVE IT! I spent about 6 months trying to trim my 109's ailerons before learning it didn't have aileron trim. Or was that rudder trim? Still can't remember.

A good campaign to learn on besides Straight from the Farm, is Battle over Britain. It has a nice gradual start and good instructions on how to fly the plane. It also uses the Hurricane MkI which a very gentle plane to fly and safer to land.

Here is alink to Mission4 Today. You'll need to register to download anything but it is free and fast. The site has a huge range of resources.

http://mission4today.com/index...file=details&id=3773 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3773)

Zeus-cat
02-19-2011, 08:40 AM
In general, hotrod planes like the high performance fighters will be more difficult to takeoff and land as they have the smallest wings to reduce drag for high speed flight. That makes them very touchy at takeoff and landing speeds. Learning to takeoff with divebombers and ground attack aircraft will be easier as they were designed to carry a lot of weight, fly slow and survive with more damage. They have large wings that generate alot of lift allowing you to fly more slowly before you stall.

M_Gunz
02-19-2011, 12:38 PM
If you're going to run around at less than 100% power then prop control does become an issue. And depending on what plane you have, what you do may differ. People who have run around full power all the time in Constant Speed Prop planes swear by 100% prop speed but soon enough those who run 4.1xx with engine reliability ON will be tending towards rpms % matching throttle %.

Ba5tard5word
02-19-2011, 02:25 PM
For one thing I would practice just flying around and getting used to how the planes handle in the air, then you can apply what you've learned about the handling to takeoffs and landing. Once you're comfortable flying a plane around and shooting down some enemies, try and do some takeoffs. Make sure you're doing a mission where the weather is set to clear so there's no wind--try a QMB scramble (but with no enemies so you can concentrate). Takeoffs are a little tricky and you do need to use the rudder to stay straight, and again you will need at the very least a twist rudder and not tapping your keyboard. Once you're used to takeoffs, try landings, and just keep at it. I probably crashed 100 times or so when I first tried landings, but eventually you can do it really easily with practice. You might want to try a plane with tricycle gear when landing because they are more stable and can stop quicker with wheel brakes because they won't tip over like a tailwheel plane--try a P-39 or P-38, though P-39's are very temperamental to fly and like to stall and spin out of control.

LC34
02-19-2011, 05:01 PM
My best advice is rather dumb but I will throw my two cents in here as well.

Practice practice practice. I remember constantly crashing into things (trucks, towers etc) next to the airfield when I first started out. Who parks those things there with me flying anyhow http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but the great thing about this sim is that each plane is so different. Stick with that P-51 that you've been having luck with, after you have become rather routine with take offs, landings, and level flight with that bird then most everything else will come natural. Now I am not even close to knowing much about avionics or which plane is easier to fly than another; but the guys in here will always give great and more knowledgable advice and facts to help you find a good practice plane. Also, those guides and training missions are AMAZINGLY helpful.

Good luck and see you in the skies shooting me down soon!

Zeus-cat
02-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I always appreciate a nice review on any of my missions. Straight From the Farm has over 9,000 downloads, but only 22 reviews. It could really use a few more from those who found it helpful. Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

Blackregiment
02-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I always appreciate a nice review on any of my missions. Straight From the Farm has over 9,000 downloads, but only 22 reviews. It could really use a few more from those who found it helpful. Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

Be more than happy to. Thing is, I'm fairly new to how mods/custom made missions work. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif Not sure which folder to place them into, although I was able to figure out how to replace code to change key bindings. Mostly I'm still learning my way around the base game before I jump into too much customization.

Also, my version is 4.09, I see that the 4.10 patch is out but read the thread stating many problems with it, so I'm a tad hesitant to upgrade. If I have a mod installed (what's the best one?), do I have to reinstall it after patching?

Anyhow, I'll try to get your mission up and running then leave some feedback.

Thanks again all for your advice, I'm now at least able to fly without crashing and am able to at least walk away from a landing. Any one you can walk away from is a good one!

FoolTrottel
02-20-2011, 04:09 AM
If I have a mod installed (what's the best one?), do I have to reinstall it after patching?
Rules on these forums are you shouldn't ask for help on Mods here.
Use google to find support elsewhere.

As for 4.10m having some errors, there's a patch out that fixes most of them: 4.10.1m.
See here: 4.101 Official Release (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18751)

Good Luck!

Zeus-cat
02-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Rules on these forums are you shouldn't ask for help on Mods here.
Use google to find support elsewhere.

As for 4.10m having some errors, there's a patch out that fixes most of them: 4.10.1m.
See here: 4.101 Official Release

Good Luck!

For all the new guys, we are not being unfriendly with stuff like this; it is the official forum policy that mods can't be discussed here. Ubi distributes the game, but has nothing to do with the mods, so it is a verbotten topic here.

Zeus-cat
02-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Thing is, I'm fairly new to how mods/custom made missions work. Not sure which folder to place them into, although I was able to figure out how to replace code to change key bindings.

The readme file should explain it all, but here it is anyway:

1. Find your Ubisoft folder
2. Open your IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 folder
3. Open your Missions folder
4. Open your Campaign folder
5. Open your UN folder (UN stands for US Navy)
6. Copy or move the entire Straight_From_the_Farm folder into UN
7. Go to the game and start the campaign. It will be in the campaign US Navy menu.

Blackregiment
02-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Got it working, thanks.

On mission 4 at present (first landing). All is grand except my speed has all of a sudden disappered in the lower left corner. Heading's still there. I've noticed it in normal campaigns as well. Is there a key used to toggle it on/off that I may have hit?

FlatSpinMan
02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
F11, I think. It is on my one at least.

M_Gunz
02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
although I was able to figure out how to replace code to change key bindings.

In game from the main menu you can reassign keys through CONTROLS. Even while playing offline you can pause, hit Escape and change key and HOTAS assignments (or just see what they are set up as) through CONTROLS on he menu then Return to Game and test.

There is something to reassigning keys/buttons/axes to match what you are used to from one game to another but you should be aware that each game has its own approach to control, that being blind to how the new one actually works can leave you being a bit of a klutz. This is something I learned playing different sims by different developers since the 80's, it finally became part of my "new sim" procedure by the mid-90's to explore how that sim is supposed to work as opposed to making it work like what I'm used to. Generally they are all pretty close anyway.

IL2 has a stick interface with a fundamentally different approach to many other sims from before, especially those that to some degree assisted the user and/or those that do/did not implement user-controlled trim.

The IL2 stick interface is pilot strength based. The position of your joystick commands the virtual pilot to put certain amount of strength upon the virtual stick. That strength is applied against any back-force on the virtual controls to arrive at the position of the virtual controls and surfaces. You do not have direct control over the position of the virtual stick. What you feel is an analog of the force the pilot feels on his stick. The difference is subtle but it can also be quite large depending on speed, trim, and plane used. A lot of players have not 'gotten it' given the posts written referencing joystick position as some kind absolute that should be the same under all conditions but to be honest I haven't seen a post like that in years. Either they've given up or somehow http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif learned better!

When you are practicing flying maneuvers, spend time holding the joystick with just thumb and one or two fingers and not resting any weight of your hand or arm on the stick. See how well your fine control becomes. Getting the weight off the stick ensures against ham-hand or otherwise restricted control though it can be tiring. IRL a light touch does make for smoother flying.

M_Gunz
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I would also like to recommend to new players to give the CONTROLS key bindings a THOROUGH GOING-OVER!

There are a LOT of prime non-shift/ctrl/alt keys assigned to controls that your stick/HOTAS does better. Get those opened up and all the functions you assign to your controllers set up and -then- move what's left to the now-open good spots!

By default the arrow keys do X-Y axes and the numbers are throttle. The arrow keys are good for trim if you don't have enough sliders/rotaries and the number keys... prop pitch unless you have that on a slider/rotary in which case give the numbers to mixture! Elevator and rudder trim is also good to stick on a 4-way hat. Those arrow keys are prime keyboard positions!

Spend some time reassigning keys and you can greatly cut down on the need to use combination-keys.

Blackregiment
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
I would also like to recommend to new players to give the CONTROLS key bindings a THOROUGH GOING-OVER!

There are a LOT of prime non-shift/ctrl/alt keys assigned to controls that your stick/HOTAS does better. Get those opened up and all the functions you assign to your controllers set up and -then- move what's left to the now-open good spots!

By default the arrow keys do X-Y axes and the numbers are throttle. The arrow keys are good for trim if you don't have enough sliders/rotaries and the number keys... prop pitch unless you have that on a slider/rotary in which case give the numbers to mixture! Elevator and rudder trim is also good to stick on a 4-way hat. Those arrow keys are prime keyboard positions!

Spend some time reassigning keys and you can greatly cut down on the need to use combination-keys.

I'm currently using Skycat's keyboard config found in Nugget's guide as I find most of his bindings are intuitive and sensical and what I would use anyhow. I've made a few alterations here and there. I have a used TrackIR in the mail so I intend to place elevator and aileron trim on my hat switch when it arrives as they are the keys I find myself using the most and it would be great to have such ease of access.

About the stick being "strength based", would this only matter for FF sticks? I don't own one (have a Thrustmaster), but am looking to replace it as it's sort of old. Any recommendations? Also, there feels to be quite a large dead zone in my stick, even though it shows immediate response in input. Whenever I push the stick right, there is about a second delay before the plane responds. Is this normal or is my stick too loose? I see a way to increase the dead zone in input but no way to decrease it.

M_Gunz
02-21-2011, 02:02 AM
About the stick being "strength based", would this only matter for FF sticks?

No. The center position of your regular joystick is the zero-force position. As IRL the zero-force position moves with changes of flight (power, prop speed, air speed, climb/dive/level/turn/etc) and changes made by trimming. What you feel against the spings of your joystick is proportional to what strength the virtual pilot applies to his trimmed virtual stick and pedals.

Joystick halfway back does not necessarily mean the elevators are halfway up. But they might be by coincidence.

I don't own one (have a Thrustmaster), but am looking to replace it as it's sort of old. Any recommendations? Also, there feels to be quite a large dead zone in my stick, even though it shows immediate response in input. Whenever I push the stick right, there is about a second delay before the plane responds. Is this normal or is my stick too loose? I see a way to increase the dead zone in input but no way to decrease it.

Have you done much with the stick sensitivity sliders? By default, near center is very low force and no I don't run default. One thing I do especially for elevator is to use about 40% Filter. It smooths my control including the steps between digitized positions (kind of an anti-aliasing for digitized stick outputs) and possible spikes. My stick is 10-bit but those are all integers!
On the stick sensitivity screen there is a box on the left with red and green blocks. One shows stick position and the other shows what your changes do to that. Filter makes a very small lag between unless you jerk the stick really fast.

Blackregiment
02-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Just got my TrackIR5 in the mail today, all I have to say is: incredible, it's a complete game changer. I don't even know how I managed to play without it. Worth every cent, my kill/death ratio has already increased within a few hours.