PDA

View Full Version : Fustration Master The art of learning... from UBI

lostworlds
10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Hmmmm lets see, the previous release was extremely buggy and most folks couldnt even log on to the internet site. When the first patch did eventually came out months later, my online claim to be world champion with a Chessmaster X estimated rating of 133000 was rejected http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif And not only did it take Years to fix these and other basic problems, but they left the community delibrately in the dark for all that time!!
There was no info, support or any kind of feedback from the developers. Doesn't anyone recall the fustration of the community ?? Even supporters of the program were left to dangle and apologize on chessmasters behalf.

So now a new edition is due out and I'm sure Ubi has learned its lesson, listened to the feedback. Wait..NO.... ARGGGGGGG.. Zippy doo dar info, no support. They couldn't even be bothered to tell their own community http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Nearly all the posts on this forum are from folks doing their own research, having to get their info 2nd hand from Amazon !!! What does that tell you about UBI's customer relations, they can't even be bothered to use their own community. And what do you think that indicates about the quality of this future product ? It certaintly bodes ill for the release to be a TESTED bug free program . If history repeats itself then any patches that are needed to fix it will be month/ years down the line.. if any.

Lastly with no demo, or real information about new features for program. What improvements is it claiming to make ? How do we trust its a evolution of chessmaster and not an updated CMX_ ? Is the program primarliy meant for beginners or what ? Thanks also for not even getting the release date in order. Who know when ? WHo cares when? I do appreciate though for title "The art of learning " it takes great ironic humor to put that after CM 10.

KHollister
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Here we go again...

I can understand your wanting to vent. However...

You expect a bug-free program? You obviously don't write software for a living, or you'd realize that no worthwhile program is completely bug-free (I should also add that your spelling isn't bug-free, either).

You are correct in citing the support problems that has followed Chessmaster around since its inception (Ubisoft isn't the first company to own Chessmaster. Doesn't anyone remember Software Toolworks?)

Ubisoft is no different -- it's also had support issues concerning Chessmaster. If I were to guess, this is because Ubi owns several other games which are more profitable. Compare this to Chessbase -- chess programs are all they do, and they've had less problems than Ubi (or any other company) has had with Chessmaster.

Despite all this, Chessmaster has been a relatively good chess program. Otherwise, people wouldn't be waiting to buy it.

And if you don't care, why are you wasting your time on this forum? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

lostworlds
10-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Firstly, correct me if wrong, but this is a open forum. So if anyone wishes to, they can vent, criticize, praise or slam Chessmaster and they can freely do so. Especially if they actually bought and used the program. If you don't like negative comments about it. Thats just too bad, sorry but its a public website.

Secondly, if you look at reviews of CM X at places like Amazon you will see a great many folks have had negative/ bad reviews. And these bugs are't minor ones. "CD-RW/DVD-RW drives will NOT work to install" " can't connect" etc. Advertising a major feature like online play then failing to ensure that it works properly is hardly a minor gripe. I've used CM 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000, Fritz 7,8,9 shredder 10 AND extreme chess They all work fine except Chessmaster 10 and I'm not the only one. Don't you recall the many forum petitions threating to boycott ubisoft if they don't fix it ?

My main point however is not the past mistakes, its continual abysmal customer relations. I would be more understanding if Ubisoft had worked with its community in timely patches and updates. Months would go by without ANY info or fixes. The devs just didn't bother with the folks who had actually bought their product.Then comes CM art of learning. In the same slipshod fashion. No info, half baked rumors, gotten from OTHER websites. I was actually hoping that they would have would have read the forums , listened to customers and produced a product that didn't make the same mistakes. But so far I see absolutely NO evidence or actions that things have changed since last time. Who wants to go online and see only a handful of folks playing , because the majority have given up on it ? Who wants to wait months before major fixes, maybe get done. Who wants to trust a company that has a PROVEN track record of poor customer service. In my opinion that it is an expensive risk to take.

If you don't care about having a half decent product this time, why are you wasting time on this forum ??

KHollister
10-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Yes, this is an open forum. Say whatever you like; likewise, I can also criticize you for doing so.

However, your first post was pure venting, whereas your recent post is more constructive. See my point? It's all about how you say something.

As I said before, you are correct about Chessmaster's poor online play, and Ubisoft's horrid customer support -- I've mentioned before that their support needs much improvement. But it's ridiculous to think that Ubisoft is responsible for rumors on other websites...

Frankly, Chessmaster is a decent product. Tutorials are CM's strong selling feature, not online play -- most people have already come to this conclusion and use Chessbase products for online play.

For most people, the good traits outweigh the flaws, otherwise the franchise would have died by now... and it's been around for a long time (I've bought and used every version since CM 3000 back in 1994) - before Ubisoft (although that doesn't give them a pass).

I've been on this forum for quite some time, asking questions, and making suggestions for a better product. On the other hand, it looks like you just registered, and are just complaining.

It sounds like you've already given up on Chessmaster. If that's the case, then my original question stands.

chessumastahexa
10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Chessmaster 11 seems to be CMX with a new skin and a couple of new chess sets. It's very poor value from what I can see so far. lostworlds is right. The information on this site has not originated from UBI, but rather dedicated users.

UBI has not shown any enthusiasm for this project. The moderator hasn't responded to anything on this forum. She has only ONE post!

Chessmaster has a lot of endearing qualities for sure. But UBI's resting on its laurels. lostworld is spot on with his criticism. Chessmaster's good will is being squandered.

KHollister
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
True... but like I said, Ubisoft has a huge line of games, and Chessmaster is a very small part, and not as lucrative as other games.

I'm not defending them, mind you... it would be nice if Ubisoft only made chess software -- like Chessbase.

chessumastahexa
10-19-2007, 12:26 PM
This forum doesn't have a moderator? How pathetic. For a company like UBI to leave forums unmoderated is inexcusable. What if there were racist comments here? They'd be up here for a long time without anyone changing things.

You are the best example of how messed up this forum is. I only knew about the Chessmaster trailer from your post. Nothing official from UBI.

Remember how CMX didn't even have support for ClearType initially? Also, I'm willing to bet that we'll need the DVD in the drive to play CMXI.

lostworlds
10-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by lostworlds:
Amazon Reviews CM X Total summary (out of 5 stars) 41 * 11 ** 10 *** 27 **** 51 *****
In the above ratings (52 out of 140) that's at least 37% of all the folks who bought the game thought it was poorly designed and a badly implemented program. That means a sizable miniority of people thought CM X is a bad buy. The MOST helpful review Dated 12 August 2004 "I would love to be able to buy this game. But the pain outweighs the benefits". Now compare that fact with other chess reviews. CM X was for a lot of folks a lesson in fustration. Your saying a lot of poor ratings was due to the CD protection issue doesnt exactly help CM X's reputation either ! At best it shows a very poorly implemeted design choice. As for Ubisoft's reputation for customer relations. StarForce protection anyone ? Go and look back over the Chessmaster Ten Forum posts. Count how many Negative, disatified headings there are with compared to favourable comments.

Or one only has to check out the handful of people online at any given time on the CM X site, compared to the hundreds/thousands on chessbase to realise its unpopularity.

But my MAIN point and this is what my post is really all about.(Regardless of the side issues). Is the poor trust Ubisoft has created in its customer relations.

How can we trust a companies future product, when the previous one was so badly supported? I really dont see how ANYONE could possibly stand up and make excuses for the way the program was nelected, abandoned and left to flounder. The patches/updates to fix FUNDAMENTAL problems were months and YEARS to implement. There was NO info, feedback, replies from the devs, just haphazard quick fixes which often created new problems. Even a buggy program like Vanguard (MORPG) has done a better job in communicating its intentions. Now In CM 11, the same pattern of non- communication has developed. For example when's the release date ? Maybe Amazon will tell us ? THIS is the sites webite and that info is not present !!! What new features exactly ? Will any online play be working on release ?

SO please, please address your comments to this important point. Will "The art of learning" repeat the same pattern as CM X ?Can we trust Ubi-soft to deliver on the features advertised ?

If you want to comment on other things, then please start a new post I'll reply there, but primarliy I would like to see a debate on the above topics. Thanks

Arkansaw
10-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, the product isn't out yet, but I guess I will share my bit.

I really hope some of the feedback with regard to CMX has made it into CMXI - particularly having the option to make the default tournament games rated. That is really the only incentive for me to get a legit copy, since from the feature list it seems like a rehash mostly. And that is a little disappointing considering that it can be so much more. Maybe a story mode like that in Fritz and Chesster or Majestic Chess? Or even some of the human-like features from Power Chess?

I didn't have that many problems with CMX myself, but from other responses it seems that the state of support isn't very hopeful. It is likely that Ubisoft is simply content to milk the franchise for what that is already an extensive chess playing software for the general audience, but at least I just made myself heard.

Anyway, nice to see some regulars like ebutajib are still hanging around

gdalpha7
10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
no moderators - well the game isn't out yet so don't blame them too much for that. (especially since there's a good chance you'll want to save that for when the games does come out, if you no what i mean)

but hey maybe this version will be different and there wont be a lot bugs. It's just that the last edition was so bad it makes you doubtful

And ebutaljib is correct. I doubt any of them even went on the CMX website and looked under the big bold letters saying "read this first"

despite the emphasis on that "read this first" you can't believe how many people just totally disregard that.

Anyways, let's just see how this version is after it comes out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif