PDA

View Full Version : OT: Graphics card question

staticline1
06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I have been kicking the idea around about upgrading my graphics card and wanted to know what was worth my money. Is there enough difference in performance when looking at the same card model if one has double the ram when all other things are the same, CPU and RAM ect or is the extra cash best spent somewhere else?

Airmail109
06-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by staticline1:
I have been kicking the idea around about upgrading my graphics card and wanted to know what was worth my money. Is there enough difference in performance when looking at the same card model if one has double the ram when all other things are the same, CPU and RAM ect or is the extra cash best spent somewhere else?

A 640mb 8800gts would be a great card to upgrade to, depends what your system is though

Taylortony
06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
yes check what card you can take, the 880 needs a pci express slot...... without it you will be limited to something like the 6800 as I am at the moment

staticline1
06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Don't have to worry about that, I have a PCI express slot. Still is it worth getting the extra ram in a card or for the most part is the card with half the ram but same make and model the better bang for the buck?

VW-IceFire
06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by staticline1:
Don't have to worry about that, I have a PCI express slot. Still is it worth getting the extra ram in a card or for the most part is the card with half the ram but same make and model the better bang for the buck?
Tricky...depends on a number of factors. When shopping for a video card don't look so much at the RAM, look at what the chip they are using is. For instance you can get a 256mb card that has a really low end chip in it and that 256mb is mostly wasted but on the other hand have a good chip with a card that has 128mb and its a real deal. Speaking generally of course.

What kind of CPU do you have in your system right now? Depending on how fast the rest of your computer will be will let you match up with a card that has the right price/performance ratio. If you get a video card thats too fast for the rest of the system then its largely a waste of money and vice versa.

Airmail109
06-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Get the 640mb model not 320mb, you'll really notice the difference in games that use large tetures

staticline1
06-03-2007, 12:38 AM
IceFire I have a FX-60 running at stock speeds and 2 gigs of ram. I'm taking my time and trying to find the best deal but as some come and go I want to make sure I get the best deal I can get with what I can afford, money really not part of the equation at this time just information. If I am looking at say the 7900GS or the x1900xt or even the 8800GTS, these are just examples not specificlly looking at those cards, is the extra ram worth the extra money with what I have or is it such a small increase in performance that I am wasting my money? Thanks for the help.

stansdds
06-03-2007, 06:16 AM
For most games and sims, 256MB of video RAM is sufficient. If you plan on using MicroSoft FSX, then you need a card with at least 512MB of video RAM, some have even said that FSX can use 1GB of video RAM. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif