PDA

View Full Version : Who's Sally!?

ytareh
07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
With all the talk of over rated planes and this and that uber fighter I thought it might be worth mentioning this 'Forgotten Bomber'
Id bet there are very few who have flown the Mitsubishi Ki21 II Sally japanese medium/heavy twin engine bomber .You need a modded install to do so for starters...
I flew my first ever mission , online , in one in the last week and was absolutely awestruck.Its like a Betty on steroids and doesnt even burn quite as fast -not that thats saying much!
This baby is faster than a Hurricane 2b and turns tighter than it too not to mention most 109s at most speeds ,it outclimbs amongst others the F4F,P39D,P40s,most P47s .
It can dive at over 700kmh and cruises effortlessly at 8/9km alt ...I level bombed targets with a 1000kg load at 7500m and it did not loose any altitude at all.(The Ju88 can barely manage that at 5km!)
A P39D could not catch me (at 7-9km alt) despite spending a LONG time trying and my front gunner destroyed a P40 which tried to engage me in a vertical looping turn fight at around 2km alt...
It was interesting and reassuring to see from Il2 Compare that Oleg has the top speeed more or less spot on ,a whisker low if anything at 485kmh at 5km alt.While the A20 is way faster and a great bomber to turnfight in (if such a thing exists !)the Ki21 II would turn rings around it ...Try her out yourself ...

ytareh
07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
With all the talk of over rated planes and this and that uber fighter I thought it might be worth mentioning this 'Forgotten Bomber'
Id bet there are very few who have flown the Mitsubishi Ki21 II Sally japanese medium/heavy twin engine bomber .You need a modded install to do so for starters...
I flew my first ever mission , online , in one in the last week and was absolutely awestruck.Its like a Betty on steroids and doesnt even burn quite as fast -not that thats saying much!
This baby is faster than a Hurricane 2b and turns tighter than it too not to mention most 109s at most speeds ,it outclimbs amongst others the F4F,P39D,P40s,most P47s .
It can dive at over 700kmh and cruises effortlessly at 8/9km alt ...I level bombed targets with a 1000kg load at 7500m and it did not loose any altitude at all.(The Ju88 can barely manage that at 5km!)
A P39D could not catch me (at 7-9km alt) despite spending a LONG time trying and my front gunner destroyed a P40 which tried to engage me in a vertical looping turn fight at around 2km alt...
It was interesting and reassuring to see from Il2 Compare that Oleg has the top speeed more or less spot on ,a whisker low if anything at 485kmh at 5km alt.While the A20 is way faster and a great bomber to turnfight in (if such a thing exists !)the Ki21 II would turn rings around it ...Try her out yourself ...

M_Gunz
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
KI-21 II doesn't look so great in IL2C. Tiny bit faster than Hurri II at sea level but go up a bit and
the Hurri is faster, it can catch up at higher alt and make diving attacks. While the Ki does sustained
level turns (at 1000m alt) better, the diving attack would provide the Hurri with loads of energy to burn
for non-sustainable turning as needed.

But it is good and fast and maneuverable.

Ba5tard5word
07-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I flew the "White Sun, Blue Sky" Flying Tigers campaign and Ki-21's are annoying as hell to shoot down.

Wildnoob
07-11-2009, 01:11 PM
ytareh, I'm sad, this make's remember that the Ki-21 is not flyable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

just order a book from Japan, totally in Japanese (witch means I won't be able read anything as don't speak this langague), only because it contains a color drawining of the Ki-21's cockpit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PS: for me the term "flyable" means a plane with it's original cockpit.