PDA

View Full Version : Couple more config questions

RemmyC4
07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Hello,

I've had IL-2 1946 for a while now. Just decided to get back into it and take it 'seriously'. Not much fun if you don't. Have TrackIR, Saietek x45, and rudder pedals all arriving at the house today.

I've noticed lots of posts about tweeking someing in the game files invovling (letters): 12 22 34 100 and so on. I know this adjusts the sensitivity of things but I have no idea what the numbers mean. Can someone point me to a post that give a good rundown of how to do that, I don't even know what that stuff is called to search it... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Great community, thanks in advance.

RC4

AndyJWest
07-21-2010, 12:30 PM
From P.28 of the manual (it should be in the IL-2 folder as 'manual.pdf'):

ADDITIONAL IN-GAME JOYSTICK SETTINGS
Find and press the Hardware Setup button in the game’s Main Menu.You are now in the
Hardware Setup menu.Press the Input button.Here you can set up the following features for
your joystick:
•Dead Band is used to set a dead zone where small movements of the stick will cause
almost no reaction.This feature can be helpful if you are playing a flight simulator for the
first time or have the old type of joystick.If you are an experienced flight simmer,we
strongly recommend that you set Dead Band in the left position or very close to the left
position.
•Filtering allows you to set a digitized filter if your joystick has problems with adequate
reaction.
•You can select basic joystick axes and change their profiles by using Fine-Tuning in the
special table to adjust the stick reaction curve.Some joysticks need fine-tuning,but
most work correctly with our default settings.You can select the axis for fine-tuning in
the left combo box.
•To enable or disable the Force Feedback feature,set the Force Feedback switch to on or off.
•If you find that our initial settings were more appropriate than your changes,press the
Default button.All the settings will revert to default status.
•Press Back to quit this menu.Any changes made will be applied automatically.
RECOMMENDATIONS
For those who experience difficulties controlling aircraft with the default joystick profile (axis
sensitivity curves in the Input menu),we provide sensitivity curves that we found more suit-
able for most of the modern input devices.
To set up the curves,go to the Input menu under the Hardware Setup in the Main Menu,and
adjust the values according the following chart:
Pitch:
0 5 10 17 25 33 43 54 71 100
Roll:
0 3 7 15 25 35 50 66 84 100
Yaw:
0 8 19 29 39 51 62 75 86 100

RemmyC4
07-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Heh! It's been so long since I played I forgot about the acutual manual! Doh!

Thanks,

RC4

Cloyd
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Go to mission4today.com and get "IL2-JoyControl" program. It makes life lots easier than manually changing the conf.ini. It takes a bit to figure out how it works, but it's well worth the effort.

It was written for an earlier version of IL2, so I believe you have to change the program's INI file to point to your game directory:

[Directories]
IL2_Path=C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

Cloyd

OH NO! I'm at 100 posts. Time to crawl back under my rock until the next UBI crash resets everybody's post count.

RemmyC4
07-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm all about easier. I'll try it out. Thanks for the tip.

RemmyC4
07-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok. So I got my X45...

I've read the suggestions to put trim on the rotary controls on the throttle. How does that work, there is not neutral position for the rotaries. Am I missing something?

Also some buttons won't map to anything on the controls. Will one of those apps IL-Stick or the otherone fix that, or do I have to dig into the Saietk program that came with the controller?

horseback
07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Those buttons may be solely for shifting modes on your X45, and will not be detected by Windows or the game. There should be some sort of .pdf manual as part of the software package for it; check there.

Personally, I've always thought that having more than one button assigned to mode control (and detectable solely within the controller's circuitry) was less than efficient, but I don't run Saitek (probably to their immense relief).

cheers

horseback

Urufu_Shinjiro
07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
To assign trim to a rotary open the controls screen and scroll all the way down to the HOTAS section, this is where you assign axis. As for the buttons not assigning, can you give an example?

RemmyC4
07-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Man. I'm a ra-tard. I hit the centering stop on the rotaries and thought it was the 'end'. Mapped it and holy cow. I finally get trim. I just couldn't get enough controll with trim on the keyboard. I actually managed to land! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Got to love that 'Straight from the Farm.' great training for a beginner.

Thanks again all for the advice.

As for a specific example of the other issue, I can't think of one and I'm not home, once I get home I'll post one.

RC4

Billy_DeLyon
07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I have an X45; I'm now using a CH joystick, but I still use the X45 throttle & love it- mainly because of those rotaries for trim. It's hard to imagine flying without them. I wish other manufacturers would use that layout.

I also like the rocker bar for rudder, better than pedals IMHO. Most here won't agree with that opinion though.

Anyhow, to answer your question about mapping buttons, I don't use IL2-stick so I can't say for sure, but I don't think it will work for that purpose. I'm pretty sure you will need to download and install Saitek's SD6 software. That's what I did. Like many of these types of software, it's not a complete no-brainer to figure out. But it's not that bad either.

A couple of the buttons on the throttle are indeed used for shifting modes, but there are plenty of other buttons too and with this controller you do need to use the Saitek software to assign them to make keystrokes that IL2 will recognize as commands. You can assign keystrokes to the directional hatswitches too, so that for example pushing one of them up will signal "f" to raise flaps. I never felt the need to use more than one mode.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

RemmyC4
07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks Billy.

I finally realized I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and wirte down/print all the key commands then use the Saietek software. I think I have it mostly figured out now. I think it takes more work to set yourself up for this game than to actually play it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Billy_DeLyon
07-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I hear ya. I recently did a reformat/reinstall so I've just been thru it all too.

I found that IL2 recognizes button-presses from my CH joystick like it would keystrokes, so in the "controls" section all I had to do is select whatever function I wanted to map, then push the relevant button and it assigned it right there (which is fortunate because the CH software is really obtuse). But for some reason it doesn't work that way for the X45. At least the Saitek software works well and easily once you get it figured out.