PDA

View Full Version : Modding IL-2

BrotherJayne
03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I heard somewhere or another that IL-2 would be made modding friendly some time soon. Are the rumors true?
I'd love to be able to fix the 50 cals!

joeap
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Too easy, guys?

BrotherJayne
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Oh gods. Is this the forum that thinks modding is cheating?
*get's nevous*

Aymar_Mauri
03-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by BrotherJayne:
*get's nevous*
Yeap. This is the one.

Ignorants are common here...

BrotherJayne
03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Nuts.
Well, at one point in time, oleg said he would be making it modible...

And anyhow, why not? Why restrict what people can do for single player

FritzGryphon
03-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Where did you hear that?

This is a plan I've heard about for the SoW series, not IL-2.

Hopefully such a system will be controlled in such a way that modding can't be used for cheating, nor will it bring down the quality level of BoB with CFS-esque garbage.

-HH- Beebop
03-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Oleg stated that certain 3rd party works may be included in the game IF they meet 1C's standards. But since all development has stopped for IL2/FB/PF don't expect much of anything.

Now he DID say that for SoW:BoB there would be, at some future time, (2 weeks? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) the ability to make SMALL maps.

Otherwise...no mods!
(no, not you steve-v/Bearcat/TOAD/Quazi) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

FritzGryphon
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
A further thing, if you want to make things for BoB, you can go right ahead and do it. At one point, Oleg even asked for people to make buildings for BoB so the world would 'look more alive'.

If you make well-done vehicles or airplanes, it's not like they're going to refuse them. If it is done right and to their standards, why will they send it away?

If you do good work and send it to them, you might even get $$$. I have made some money this way. Modding is only demanded by amateurs who can't hack it, or people who want X-wings.

I will say this very clear: There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from making content for BoB, just like there was absolutely nothing stopping people from making content for IL-2. The only limitations are your own skill and dedication, and the reference you can find.

The main reason why they would do 'modability' for BoB, is simply so people can test out their creations before submission. I guess this would save them some time in allowing the artist to troubleshoot their own work. It is not for people to publish their own second rate addons.

If I sound surly it's because, while some complain for 'modability', there have been lots of people actually making stuff. A lot of the objects and planes in IL-2 series were made by 3rd parties like you and me. They did not complain like: "wah wah, the quality standards are too high. I don't wanna make a cockpit, I wanna fly it now... This gunner position is too hard..."

They did the excellent work for little or no pay, and we all enjoy it.

Bearcat99
03-01-2007, 07:55 PM
*get's nevous*

Hmmmmmm a sci fi fan... Firefly & BSG....
Well thats one plus..

To answer your question... NO this is not that forum... this is the forum that has come from several other sims and for thr most part seen the online play ruined by those who use mods to cheat. Modding.... is modding... cheating is cheating.... and most people who are feckless enough to cheat will use any means around... mods just make it easier.

BrotherJayne
03-01-2007, 07:56 PM
If I sound surly it's because, while some complain for 'modability', there have been lots of people actually making stuff. A lot of the objects and planes in IL-2 series were made by 3rd parties like you and me. They did not complain like: "wah wah, the quality standards are too high. I don't wanna make a cockpit, I wanna fly it now... This gunner position is too hard..."
How do you craft your planes etc with no idea how the game works?
And how do you playtest them if you can't import them?
Or do you?

Agamemnon22
03-01-2007, 08:01 PM
There is/was a set of guidelines for asset development for this game. All the implementation/playtesting was done by Oleg's team, always. The 3rd party modelers only modeled.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I sound surly it's because, while some complain for 'modability', there have been lots of people actually making stuff. A lot of the objects and planes in IL-2 series were made by 3rd parties like you and me. They did not complain like: "wah wah, the quality standards are too high. I don't wanna make a cockpit, I wanna fly it now... This gunner position is too hard..."
Or do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

XyZspineZyX
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I sound surly it's because, while some complain for 'modability', there have been lots of people actually making stuff. A lot of the objects and planes in IL-2 series were made by 3rd parties like you and me. They did not complain like: "wah wah, the quality standards are too high. I don't wanna make a cockpit, I wanna fly it now... This gunner position is too hard..."
Or do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't understnad

In the past, 3d modellers have been able to submit things for inclusion in the sim. if they meet certain criteria, they were considered for inclusion

However, they decsion to include was and is always up to the developer.

"You or I" cannot sit down with our PCs and make some stuff, and then put it in the sim. It must be submitted, approved, and then included in an official downlaod or add-on

At this stage in the sim's life, we are very unlikely to see this trend continue

ShaK.
03-01-2007, 08:07 PM
the only mods to il2 should be skins...

and maybe some weapon upgrades...

and booster pods, wrap drives, force lighting, and lasers.

Anything else would just be stupid.

LEXX_Luthor
03-01-2007, 10:04 PM
No open weapons modding for FB/PF. Definitely for BoB And Beyond, at least for the Offline play version, although a proposed Oleg Approval process may permit sufficiently qualified 3rd Party mods to be included in the official Online sim version also.

*get's nevous*
Yeap. This is the one.

Hostile computer gamers are common here...See the poast just above mine -- the bitterness and insults against the combat flight sim community. Wellcome to "the" forum! (but the situation is a'changing as the combat flight sim community begins to stand against the angry and bitter "gamers" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)...

Most interestingly, TAGERT has poasted that 3rd Party aircraft mods caused little to no "cheating" in the Microsoft Online sims, but only rampant and endless accusations of cheating.

ShaK.
03-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Yes, I hate bitter and hostile gamers. see the post above this one. People get mad at others who joke. Its sad really. He knows whats going on though, he has well over 8000 posts... maybe that is whats sad.

FritzGryphon
03-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Or do you?

I got some example files from Oleg. They also have some written tutorials. I do look forward to model viewers in BoB, though, just to hunt down material errors and whatnot.

FM and DM is all handled by MG, so there's no need to actually 'play' the model ingame. I imagine this will continue in SoW.

I agree it's kind of fun to mess around with a game engine, and stick half-done stuff in it to play with. But if you're serious about making something complete, playing with the engine is just a distraction. It keeps people from actually completing their models, like in CFS and FS.

K_Freddie
03-02-2007, 04:12 AM
The reason why this sim is the best.. is because it is NOT moddable by 3rd party's. It puts everyone on an even platform and this is good for on-line play, which is where this game excels. Off-line is also great as well.

Take a look at SH3, It has some great mods collected into 3 main types. But this have severly limited the online performance of the game. It could be a great online game where a 'war' could last for years, but it's not going there, mainly due to the modding.

Oleg has been correct in not allowing modding in IL2/PF/BoB, and it keeps him in the business he 'enjoys'.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

joeap
03-02-2007, 04:18 AM
*get's nevous*

Right, and you want to "fix" the 50s which are not broken. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

skarden
03-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by ShaK.:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
LOL classic.

WWMaxGunz
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Wasn't there something in an interview about maybe being able to mod SOW for OFFLINE ONLY?

LEXX_Luthor
03-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Max::
Wasn't there something in an interview about maybe being able to mod SOW for OFFLINE ONLY?
No. In addition to Offline mods, there will be "open" options for Online players to enjoy the Offline mods in Online play -- the Case 2 servers (see ORR thread). However, this can include the Case 1 servers where Oleg-Approved mods will be included into the official sim.

LEXX_Luthor
03-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by skarden:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaK.:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
LOL classic.

War is not nice.

Barbara Bush </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg opens his sim to at least some modding, or Oleg goes Online Pay-To-Play.

Business is not nice.