PDA

View Full Version : Me-262 rocket gunnery

stugumby
01-11-2006, 09:01 AM
well, im stumped, i just cant seem to get any kills using the underwing rockets. tried a beam approach on some liberators and my convergence was set to 250m, so they just crosed paths. Got in closer set to unlimited ammo and destroying them destoys me, or more like the left engine fire. So are these rockets set to self destruct after so many seconds or are they point blank weapons? They do however work real good on smaller ships like destroyers and freighters.

Chuck_Older
01-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Does gun convergance afect rockets?

In regards to bomber kills, it is an inherent problem with the sim in my opinion:

The rockets are just fine, there simly aren't enough bombers to fire them at

In real life, hundreds and hundreds of bombers made up the bomber stream. Literally hundreds.

The reason that folks can't get hits on bombers with the aerial mortars and rockets is simple: you need a lot more targets than the sim provides. If you shot a salvo at 2 or 3 hundred bombers, stacked up in combat boxes. you'd probably get some hits. It's like hitting water falling out of a boat. It's really easy to do if you're on a lake, but if you're on dry land, you probably won't hit the water

Waldo.Pepper
01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
With the ME-262 my advice...leave the convergence to default. Point your beak up higher, or get closer! (I like get closer but that tends to defeat the purpose of the things, at least in a historical context).

With the other German AA rockets, my advice don't bother. Your better off carrying more guns!

Kuna15
01-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I have read somewhere that R4/Ms have similar ballistics as MK108 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. You can use your gunsight effieciently then.

I set convergence to at least 500m (can go on 1000m as well) and aim slightly ahead of bomber. Do not set your convergence that low after all you have 24 rockets there only one is required to make contact with enemy surface.

JG52Karaya-X
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
The problem with the R4M is however that after the rocket fuel has burned out the individual rockets seem to loose speed rapidly... the seem to stop in the air after just a couple of seconds and then drop like stones. In real life these rockets were fired from outside the .50CAL defensive range which was ~1000m - try to do that in IL2... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Kuna15
01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
R4/M range should be around 1500m according to some sources I never tested it in game tho.

jarink
01-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Does gun convergance afect rockets?

There is a separate convergance setting for rockets.

Unlike guns, you actually don't want to fire at the convergance range, since it will actually minimize your chances of a hit. You often only need one hit to knock down a heavy bomber, so maximizing the 'spread' will increase your chances. Set convergence fairly low and the rockets will cross each other then spread into a nice pattern. Setting to a long convergence is not as good of an idea, since the rockets will run out of fuel and drop before crossing and spreading again.

p1ngu666
01-11-2006, 10:44 PM
some practise and experimentation needed i think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif