PDA

View Full Version : "Flyboys" Chichi Jima Mission?

DC-3
04-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Hello all,
I just finished reading "Flyboys". I am wondering if anybody ever created a mission on bombing the radio towers from Chichi Jima with all that ruthless AA? I created my own, but I cannot get the right details on the proper numbers and type of AA. Anybody with info, please let me know. Thanks...

Vigilanty
04-28-2005, 05:46 PM
That book froze my blood. Drop lots of bombs on that rock and be sure to have a rescue sub nearby to pick up any downed pilots.

Waldo.Pepper
04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
That was a FAR better book than I thought that it was going to be.

DC-3
04-28-2005, 09:31 PM
YEAH, i hear ya. I read that book in 2 nights. I knew lots of history on Japanese brutality from before. But it was nice to read the reasons that lead to that. I also did not know about Chichi Jima. A real sad story, I can tell ya. I recreated the mission, and when I was watching men floating down in shutes, the Antiaircraft AI was still shooting them from the cliffs. It was just like in the book. Felt chills from that one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

chris455
04-28-2005, 11:57 PM
If you liked Flyboys, you can read more about the aftermath in a book called Sorties into Hell.
Sorry I forget the authors name. Chilling book, tells of the fate of the Japanese commanders after the Allied forces occupied Chi Chi and discovered the atrocities.

Vigilanty
04-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks chris455, I'm gonna get that.

Yog_Shoggoth
04-29-2005, 06:11 PM
If you read Flyboys make sure you read a Japanese perspective too. I liked Samarai.

Call_me_Kanno
04-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I read it too and had about the same reaction to it as Vigilanty. They almost got the former president Bush there too.

But Chichi Jima in FB doesn't seem like it matches up very well to how it was described in the book. Very tall mountains with only one way in and one way out to bomb the towers. In the book they said this made for some deadly bomb runs as the AA knew just route the dive bombers were going to use.

DC-3
04-30-2005, 01:39 PM
I agree. I was looking for some tal mountaines as well. At least something steep. But from above at 10 thousand feet, it looks exact. Thanks for all the tips on the reads.

Blackdog5555
05-02-2005, 03:08 AM
BTW, Flyboys WAS written from the Japanese persective. The part about eating Aussies prisoners alive, piece by piece so the meat wouldnt rot in NG gave me nightmares. Lets see whats on the menu, Black pig or white pig? I thought it was poorly written and was misleading in places. IMHO.

DC-3
05-02-2005, 07:29 AM
I agree. This book defenitely had a lot from the Japanese perspective. Also, a lot of nightmare stories in there that were just thrown in to keep the reader on the seat of his pants. Still, hard to imagine that really happened. Then again, any human in a sort of life or death experience is capable of anything. Just a little trainning, and good to go.

Vigilanty
05-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Japanese officer. Chinese girl. That story was told from the Japanese perspective in the first person. I had to put the book down for awhile.