PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dual Booting Qs

IZT
12-15-2004, 02:43 AM
I know how to dual boot when i have win xp installed with win 98 using partition magic. but i want top know is it safe? will it corrupt files on windows XP??

IZT
12-15-2004, 02:43 AM
I know how to dual boot when i have win xp installed with win 98 using partition magic. but i want top know is it safe? will it corrupt files on windows XP??

SkyPiggies
12-15-2004, 03:30 AM
I tried this, and strange things happened

The Windows 98 installer completely corrupted one disk and damaged two more

(These were connected to a third-party RAID card, so it was certainly some strange hardware incompatibility)

So my advice is: unplug ALL other disks when installing Windows 98

Only plug them back in when the Windows 98 install is complete

|CoB|_Spectre
12-15-2004, 03:53 AM
I've been running a dual boot system for about two years now. Mine are on separate drives and I find that I rarely go into Win98 anymore. You're probably already aware of this, but Win98 must be installed prior to installing XP. These are the only two I have experience with, but it may extend to a 98/Win2k or WinNT install as well. Partitioning a single drive could hide some caveats of which I am unaware.

p1ngu666
12-15-2004, 12:11 PM
pointless, as ull never use 98 again. unless u got some programs that refuse to work on xp

SkyPiggies
12-16-2004, 01:02 AM
pointless, as ull never use 98 again. unless u got some programs that refuse to work on xp

I have lots of programs that refuse to run on XP

I also need to run DOS occasionally (old games and bios flashes)

So a bootable Win98 partition would be very useful...

WOLFMondo
12-16-2004, 01:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by p1ngu666:
pointless, as ull never use 98 again. unless u got some programs that refuse to work on xp <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even then there is compatibility mode which usually eliminates those problems.

Brain32
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Why do ya' bother with win98 just make dual XP. Install one(Play) on C: on FAT32(less DOS problems) and another one(work) on D: on NTFS.
Kill all services you don't need for playing and configure the system for playing games you will get better performance in games and overall better stability and compatibility of both systems.

Marek_Steele
12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
for dos programs under xp try
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Runs DOS games very well

Intead of installing 98, use a virtual pc (there are many soft for this as vmware of ms virtualpc)with an installation of it, 98 runs pretty fast under (altough no 3d acceleration since a s3 trio64 is emulated, It was even possible to play mk trilogy and execute combos in a relatively slow machine.