PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Too Cheap?



Monkiman300
11-29-2010, 05:28 PM
The pistol in multiplayer is a pain. Many players use it because they dislike actually having to chase their targets.

While in the campaign mode having an "easy to use" pistol is great, in multiplayer it ruins the fun of a good chase and a surprise attack of some sort.

Overall the pistol seems to remind me of the RPG-7 in the Modern Warfare series, easy to use and almost always gets a kill.

Thanks,

Monkiman300

Jack-Reacher
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
If they dont know which character you are, its no problem

Monkiman300
11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
1. Well often times people combine it with templar vision and can shoot you from a rooftop halfway across the map.

2. Given it doesnt give many points, but its aggravating when there is NO defense against it, its too easy to use, and you die from it every 2 minutes even when blended with NPC that all look like you.

obliviondoll
11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
It's like the Modern Warfare RPG7 would be if it guaranteed you the kill, but only gave you credit for a quarter of the kill (or less) each time.

Which I feel balances it out nicely.

It has its uses, but they're few and far between. Unless you care about getting all the challenges.

The pistol in ACB is a situational weapon, not something to rely on - it guarantees a kill, but with heavily restricted points.

xTheCombinex
11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Monkiman300:
1. Well often times people combine it with templar vision and can shoot you from a rooftop halfway across the map.

2. Given it doesnt give many points, but its aggravating when there is NO defense against it, its too easy to use, and you die from it every 2 minutes even when blended with NPC that all look like you.

BUT, the player doing this is very stupid, he trashs TWO abilities for ONE kill, so give it to them. They only get 100 points so who cares.

The only thing I could imagine to "worse" the pistol, would be an range-restriction. We'll see if Ubisoft is gonna make something about it in the future.

Monkiman300
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
It's like the Modern Warfare RPG7 would be if it guaranteed you the kill, but only gave you credit for a quarter of the kill (or less) each time.

Which I feel balances it out nicely.

It has its uses, but they're few and far between. Unless you care about getting all the challenges.

The pistol in ACB is a situational weapon, not something to rely on - it guarantees a kill, but with heavily restricted points.

True, i guess im just one of the apparently few players who doesnt enjoy dying by the pistol every minute. Even if they only get a small amount of points it takes points away from me, hiding, and takes time to die/respawn.

postwick
11-29-2010, 05:49 PM
there was a video posted yesterday where they showed that there is a sound the game makes like a little jingle (not sure how to describe it) when someone takes aim at you.

all you have to do when you hear it is move and it cancels their shot.

Monkiman300
11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
And the 1.5s charge time of the pistol is not enough time to react to the (ding)

Bud1304
11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
The pistol is a crutch for the weak which should have NEVER been put into multiplayer. Interestingly enough, your poll shows that 50% of people on this forum are noobs.

obliviondoll
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Bud1304:
The pistol is a crutch for the weak which should have NEVER been put into multiplayer. Interestingly enough, your poll shows that 50% of people on this forum are noobs.
I'm a noob for NOT using the pistol, but knowing it's not that useful an ability and having no problem with it?

Good logic.

xTheCombinex
11-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by postwick:
there was a video posted yesterday where they showed that there is a sound the game makes like a little jingle (not sure how to describe it) when someone takes aim at you.

all you have to do when you hear it is move and it cancels their shot.

I just tested that with my brother in a private session, there really is a sound when somebody is aiming at you with a pistol. Didn't knew that.

HarlequinsRus
11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Bud1304:
The pistol is a crutch for the weak which should have NEVER been put into multiplayer. Interestingly enough, your poll shows that 50% of people on this forum are noobs.
No, 50% of the people are experienced enough to know that using a pistol is not at all worthwhile, and adds variety, so there is no reason to take it out just because some noobs can't handle it. And Monkiman, you say you die every minute by a pistol? You must be playing some really nooby kids, I get killed maybe once every 3 games with it. Also your comparison to the RPG is a horrible one, the RPG not only is easy to use, but it can get you more than one kill at a time, (although because I'm not a whiny b**ch I never cared about that either) where as the pistol can only get 1 guy, for around 1/4 of the points.
Great argument though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wile E Coyoteee
11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
It's a level bracket phase, don't worry about it. By that I mean, around the level you get the gun, everyone starts using it because it's something new and they wanna try it out.

Once you get about 5 levels above whenever you get the gun, everyone stops using it, except for the guys at the bottom of the list every round. I've only come across one player in all my hours of online logged (over 24 hours) who actually incorperated the gun successfully in a way that allowed him to finish in the top.. And, that was because he was a good player reguardless. The gun just saved him 30 seconds when a guy was real far away and it happened to be up at the time.

Yeah, THEORETICALLY you can use it every minute and a half, but REALISTICALLY you're only gonna get to use it about 4 times a match.. And even out of those 4, the majority of the time you're close enough to your target to not even use it.. So, people might use it twice a match, 3 times tops if they're really good at picking out their targets.

Anyway, like I said, when you get higher up, nobody uses it because it's practically a wasted slot and by then everyone recognizes that. It doesn't even net you the same amount of points that a skill that gives you lures and stuns does, for the most part. When you get higher up there, you see it almost never, so you can at least look forward to that!

Tragic_Jonson
11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
i never use the gun but voted they keep it in since it usually only gives your opponenet a 100 point kill, and i usually only get killed by a pistol when i'm doing something silly like running around on rooftops chasing someone :P

DannyStrong
11-29-2010, 10:54 PM
the pistol is a very important part of the game, primarly its to deal with free runners.

with 100 points, and a 1.5 minute cooldown time it's not going to put you in first place (in a 10 minute game, you could get maybe 500 points with it if you were quick to find your target right after cooldown). Its just for dealing with free runners without exposing yourself as much. For the cooldown time and the points you get rewarded I think it is a legitimate skill.

The counter to the pistol? Don't free run in open spaces.

Justin125
11-29-2010, 11:18 PM
The pistol is fine the way it is... I never used it because I know it's useless to me.. let them get 100 points for one kill while I get my 700-1000 pts.. I got shot an entire round everyone had them cause I played with low level kids and I just snuck around poisoning them and charging them or using decoys... it was great

E-Zekiel
11-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Kaz_Lezar:
The pistol is stupid and a waste of space IMO. You get a whole whopping 100 (250 is the most i've seen) when you get a kill in multiplayer with it.

Hooray.

My highest pistol kill was 550 points.

As a note, I only use it for roof runners when I need to just get rid of them. I also am careful with timing and aim for at least a 300 point kill.

obliviondoll
11-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Just so you know.

Pistol shot.

Kill 100
Mid-air +100 (is it? I think... Can't get at TV right now to check... Might be 200)

+extreme variety = 600.

Thanks for that 800 point pistol kill.

Haven't got this, or seen it in-game yet, but I've seen a greater variety pistol kill getting over 500 points.

obliviondoll
11-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Just saying it's possible.

Highly unlikely, and basically impossible to plan it that way, but possible.

Of course, that situation i don't really count because the variety bonuses aren't actually rewards for ONLY that kill - they're a reward for EVEYRTHING you've done in the match up to that point.

dementia2
11-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by xTheCombinex:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postwick:
there was a video posted yesterday where they showed that there is a sound the game makes like a little jingle (not sure how to describe it) when someone takes aim at you.

all you have to do when you hear it is move and it cancels their shot.

I just tested that with my brother in a private session, there really is a sound when somebody is aiming at you with a pistol. Didn't knew that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only problem is when the sound happens they are focused and you still die.

E-Zekiel
11-30-2010, 12:38 PM
It occurs when they are focusing, I believe. Not 100% focused. If you immediately break LOS you have a chance at living.

ubercool777
11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
There is a great balance in the pistol: Long aiming time to one-hit-KO. It provides good balance to it's powerful ability.

CptCrunch97
11-30-2010, 07:48 PM
pistol is a back up gun for when theres 7 seconds left and my target is 20 ft away, or when i cant make my way to them without being detected. only use in those situations.

W.E.S.P
11-30-2010, 09:50 PM
The range should be reduced for sure. You manage to build up some space between you and youre attackers then Bang youre dead even though you just worked ur arse off to avoid 3 people then another shoots you from across the map.

Ven_GencE999
11-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Pistol is fine, as is. I find the only people who have a problem with the gun are, you guessed it, roofrunners and sprint runners.

I hate chasing down roofrunners and there's no way I'm gonna kill an NPC just to get a new contract, at the same time giving YOU points? No sir, it's the same as me chasing roofers down for a measly 100 points.

That's the only time it's worth equipping that loadout, when I see I'm in a match with roofers and runners....

obliviondoll
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
I just came from one of the funniest Advanced Wanted matches I've ever played.

Several players were runners, several were stealth, but everyone was focusing more on screwing each other's hiding places than hunting and killing.

Basically it was a match of griefers. I joined in with the idiocy, because it was hilarious. Still came 2nd in 2 of the 4 rounds we played, too.

The reason I'm mentioning it here is because one of the stealth players had Blender as a token distraction for hunters, and equipped throwing knives and gun.

What he did was, he used the throwing knives to make the target fall down, then shot them before they got back up.

At point-blank range.

Not the most sensible kill, but it was FUNNY!

I approved. Then poisoned him from my morphed blend group as he joined it.

Then had someone run in and morph the group (wasn't my pursuer or his, just did it to annoy us)

FlawedHero
11-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Monkiman300:
Thanks,

Monkiman300 The first reply really sums it up.

The entire idea behind the multiplayer is stealth. If you're blending properly and not blowing abilities out in the open to flag yourself, they won't know who you are and will have a 50%, 33%, 25% or lower chance to pick you out of a group.

Add to that the infrequency of the uptime and the pistol is really only useful in those games where people spend all their time on the roof or sprinting.

FlawedHero
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Then had someone run in and morph the group (wasn't my pursuer or his, just did it to annoy us) If I'm dominating a game and someone kills my target right in front of me, I get a kick out of smoke bombing them for a laugh. It has resulted in them getting killed by their pursuer a few time which I felt bad about until I remembered the free body piercing they had given me earlier in the round.

obliviondoll
11-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by FlawedHero:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Then had someone run in and morph the group (wasn't my pursuer or his, just did it to annoy us) If I'm dominating a game and someone kills my target right in front of me, I get a kick out of smoke bombing them for a laugh. It has resulted in them getting killed by their pursuer a few time which I felt bad about until I remembered the free body piercing they had given me earlier in the round. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I find it funny that the guy did this, then stopped and watched us both leave the group, rejoin it, and our blender perks gave us a clone each.

I wonder if that annoyed him?

I've had players smoke bomb me for beating them to a kill before. Or firecracker me for it. Don't die too often when it happens though.

But yeah, that match was full of people intentionally smoke bombing anyone they knew was a player, even if it wasn't their target or pursuer. You would've fit right in.

E-Zekiel
11-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I just came from one of the funniest Advanced Wanted matches I've ever played.

Several players were runners, several were stealth, but everyone was focusing more on screwing each other's hiding places than hunting and killing.

Basically it was a match of griefers. I joined in with the idiocy, because it was hilarious. Still came 2nd in 2 of the 4 rounds we played, too.

The reason I'm mentioning it here is because one of the stealth players had Blender as a token distraction for hunters, and equipped throwing knives and gun.

What he did was, he used the throwing knives to make the target fall down, then shot them before they got back up.

At point-blank range.

Not the most sensible kill, but it was FUNNY!

I approved. Then poisoned him from my morphed blend group as he joined it.

Then had someone run in and morph the group (wasn't my pursuer or his, just did it to annoy us)

That's awesome. I need to have matches like these.

xTheCombinex
11-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by dementia2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xTheCombinex:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postwick:
there was a video posted yesterday where they showed that there is a sound the game makes like a little jingle (not sure how to describe it) when someone takes aim at you.

all you have to do when you hear it is move and it cancels their shot.

I just tested that with my brother in a private session, there really is a sound when somebody is aiming at you with a pistol. Didn't knew that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only problem is when the sound happens they are focused and you still die. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We figured out that the sound comes up when your pursuer stats to aim at you. So you have the 1.5 seconds to try breaking the line of sight. But it's really hard to manage that, because you hardly know where your pursuer is.

notafanboy
12-01-2010, 08:20 AM
even though 99.7% of my kills are at close range ,i must admit the gun is very fun to use when you have spoted a "runner", i always say "that will teach you not to run" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

rb2610
12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
I never understand people who walk right up to you incognito and shoot you :/

ooohezio
12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Monkiman300:
The pistol in multiplayer is a pain. Many players use it because they dislike actually having to chase their targets.

While in the campaign mode having an "easy to use" pistol is great, in multiplayer it ruins the fun of a good chase and a surprise attack of some sort.

Overall the pistol seems to remind me of the RPG-7 in the Modern Warfare series, easy to use and almost always gets a kill.

Thanks,

Monkiman300
Guys! Guys! I know how to make the pistol coordinate perfectly! New "roll" button assignment or "roll" perk, although I'd like to roll whenever I want to. Visit the beatboxing brotherhood thread, because it's beautiful!

FANIS1993
12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
yeah pistol should be removed cause it makes the game like COD in some sort of way. and gun kills should take 50 points in order to not use it too much and play like all the others with stealth

FlawedHero
12-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by notafanboy:
even though 99.7% of my kills are at close range ,i must admit the gun is very fun to use when you have spoted a "runner", i always say "that will teach you not to run" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif I always follow them on the ground and wait for them to drop on their target and comment something along the lines of "That's why you don't run on the roof like a ******bag, it makes you incredibly easy to find and kill." Then I laugh at their 100-300pt kill while I walk away with 2x the points.

Tarhish
12-01-2010, 10:41 AM
First of all, anyone who uses the pistol when they could have made a normal kill has made a terrible decision. That's a good enough balance right there. Using it every cooldown is just as terrible a decision as running around the entire map lunging at people.

That said, there are ways to get slightly more points with it and Situations in which it is worth using. I myself have received many kills with it poached from people who were stalking the target and much closer than I was. That's a GREAT way to use it because it gives you points you wouldn't have normally received. It also Denies a quality kill to the stalker. Don't try and tell me that's not strategic. And if you're looking for those opportunities, then you'll soon find they Abound.

As for being killed and not doing anything about it, who the hell cares? If someone wants to get a hundred points and let you reblend after a respawn, then I Cheer being shot like that.

chivs688
12-01-2010, 10:42 AM
To be honest, I think the gun is perfect.

Firstly, it only gives you 100 points so if you only use the gun then you will never have any chance of winning a game (unless everyone is just using it).

And it also deters people from just sprinting around. If your just walking inconspicuously in amongst a crowd (i.e. playing the game as it should be played) then the pursuer with the gun has almost no possible way of guessing correctly which one is you and managing to lock on to you and shoot you, meaning he must come down and come after you properly if he wants to kill you.

So personally I think it's fine and well implemented by Ubi.

obliviondoll
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Alternative ending to the following:

Originally posted by Tarhish:
As for being killed and not doing anything about it
...What exactly can you do against the guy who just dropped onto you from the roof?

Nothing, you say?

Why is that any better?

Monkiman300
12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
This is crazy lol. I just don't feel like the pistol is fair. I failed to mention, HOW COULD THE PISTOL BE THAT ACCURATE? The game takes place in the 1500's? So any firearm couldnt hit the broadside of a barn at that time in rifle form with a long barrel, while the pistol only has a 2-5 inch barrel? wtf?