PDA

View Full Version : Please, advice for new joystick needed

Rab03
12-28-2004, 04:25 AM
Well, after long trouble with old joystick, I'm buying a new one. The problem is that presently I can choose only between Cyborg Rumble and various Logitech joysticks.

So, I have following questions (budget limited):

1. Is Cyborg Rumble any good?
2. How precise and durable are Rumble and Evo?
3. Should I wait for Evo to reappear?

When I wrote durable I mostly meant "how much time will pass before pot's response becomes 'spiky' or 'jumpy'". This phenomenon was a cause of much frustration in previous period. In fact so much, that I'm dreaming of a joystick with everlasting and constantly same response.

horseback
12-28-2004, 10:45 AM
If you are worried about your stick wearing out quickly, then you should eliminate Logitech from your search. Their sticks are beautifully designed, and sometimes work very well for about six months to a year, and then usually cr@p out on you.

I use a CH HOTAS rig, and in the two and half years I've had it, I would have gone through five or six Logitech sticks that frankly don't work as well or do as many things. After an initial $200 investment for the Pro Pedals and Combatstick, my cost per hour of use has gone down at a steady pace, even after the addition of the Pro Throttle. I expect them to last me at least another 3 or 4 years without a hitch.

Those five or six Logitech sticks would have cost me at least as much, and not been as reliable throughout that time, or as effective (pedals make a HUGE diff). If you can't go for a high-end stick, at least avoid Logitech.

cheers

horseback

MaxMhz
12-28-2004, 11:10 AM
My evo lives for 2 years now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pro's :
Hat can be switched to mousemode
Lefties can adjust it
Size adjustable
12 buttons (if Shiftmode is not used)
4-axis

Against:
Stupid button placement (because its left and right handed)
May need spring adjustment (pull together spring with Plastic wrappers)

I'm VERY happy with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
It is VERY accurate.
Don't know what you mean with "re-appear" but there is an evo gold (evo Force Feed Back)...

Rab03
12-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks, guys.

The reason for limited choice is very simple: because of hollidays most of good sticks were sold out in almost every store in the city! What remained are No-name, Logitech, Genius and few Saitek sticks.

Luckily, effort payed off as I managed to find low profile store with nice selection of sticks and bought nice Evo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.

Agree, base buttons are badly positioned.

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Too me the best stick you can get in the 40$ range is the MS Siewinder Precision 2 if you can find one. The Saitek EVO is an excellent choice as well in this price range. If your goin higher in price then you have to consider CH products and the Saitek X-52.

Rab03
12-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Yeah, when I decided to buy MS PP2, the store that had it in their window for a year (!) finally sold it. Went for Evo, and suddenly realised that all Evos are gone in holliday frenzy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif. Hard search resulted in eventual finding desired joystick-Evo.

Bearcat99
12-29-2004, 11:24 AM
IMO for this sim the best bang for buck is hands down the X45.

knightflyte
12-29-2004, 10:09 PM
I have an X45. I REALLY REALLY liked it. But I was noticing what others complained about too. The stick would get "sticky", thus making incrimental changes difficult. That would throw my aim off. (It's not a killer but it did lessen my enjoyment of one of my favorite past times)
I would go to IL2 input profiler and change settings. Everything, from deadband to input percentages, made no difference.

I'd get my share of hits, but booming (or would that be zooming) on an enemy at a high rate of speed needs DELICATE MINUTE inputs and the stick would suddenly grab hold and release...throwing off my aim. By the time I'd get it straight I'd be near passed the enemy. I NEVER lost control of the plane..it just grabbed enough to screw the aiming.

I tried WAX...I tried ZIP TIES on the spring. Nothing was COMPLETELY satisfactory for me.

So.... I bought a SAITEK CYBORG EVO FORCE.
Even with out customizing the settings I am happier. Don't get me wrong I'd recommend the Saitek X45 for a HOTAS setup. But, I have one and wanted the smoothness of the EVO in conjuntion with the X45 HOTAS.

Now if the EVO FORCE had the same force feedback as my old LOGITEC I had I'd be in NIRVANA.

The X45 was $79.00 US....(I've had it 2 years) the EVO FORCE was $69.00 US. For that money I'd consider looking at CH products. I don't know if I'd buy them...but I'd look.

I also bought a CYBORG EVO RUMBLE for my dad. That's a decent stick too. (The rumble IS NOT FF....so you'll feel the impact of landing but it's only a rumbling of the stick...NOT a forced movement like you'd experience with FF)

regards,
Robert

Once you go Track... you never go back.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-29-2004, 10:35 PM
I got the saiteck cyborg evo recently after flying with the MSFF2 for three years. Its a great stick for the money. Seems fairly precise, has a nice button to $ ratio and I actually prefer losing the force feedback which was throwing off my aim like crazy. Its also nice and compact. For me thats important because I don't have too much space and between my books, computer, models, printer, etc., etc., etc. I don't have too much room to spare.