PDA

View Full Version : Track IR-3 PRO Worth the Money?

Ace_Eloff
03-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Is Track IR-3 PRO worth the money? Should I bother with Track IR? Is it worth it to get the vector (6DOF) expansion for it?

The sense of immersion that the product could offer is almost enough to convince me, but can any of you who bought the product tell me if its really worth my money?

All set and done its gonna cost me somthing like $300 (Canadian) to get Track IR-3 Pro and the Vector Expansion, worth it would you say?

ColoradoBBQ
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Vector 6DOF isn't supported with FB/AEP/PF. It takes some getting used to since some do like it and praise it but others would chuck it out the window in disgust.

Brutal67
03-17-2005, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't even thinking of parting with mine. Forget using the hat switch anymore. This single device has greatly enhanced my experience and immersion. It is a great product and should be seriously considered by anyone who is more than an occasional flyer.

Sturmvogel66
03-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I won't lie, at first you will hate it with a passion, but once you get past converting, it will be the single best addition to you gaming experience that you have ever bought. I promise.

Ace_Eloff
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Awsome! Ok i'm definitley going for it then. My mind still begs the question though, is the "Vector 6DOF" expansion worth it for FB/AEC/PF? What exactly does it do? Seems to me, that the zoom functionality at best could change FOV but this can't be done in small increments, so would you view "pop" in and out?

Sturmvogel66
03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
That feature is not in FB/AEP/PF... no vector/6DOF.

Sturmvogel66
03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
It will be available for BoB though, so getting TrackIR 3 Pro will pay off in the end.

Ace_Eloff
03-17-2005, 05:23 PM
You mean the Vector Expansion doesn't work with regular Track IR-3? Only with the PRO?

Sturmvogel66
03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
no no no... Pacific Fighers does not support Vector or 6DOF... as for the Pro or un-Pro I dunno, I have the TrackIR 3 Pro, so I know that is works for mine.

Ace_Eloff
03-17-2005, 05:29 PM
K thanks for the info http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Ace_Eloff
03-17-2005, 08:25 PM
I have another question. Is it possible to configure Track IR so that you can see all the way back behind you? The only videos i've seen of the device show people glancing from side to side, but the device won't be of much use to me if I can't easily use it to check my six... also are there any drawbacks to using Track IR?

Chuck994
03-17-2005, 10:36 PM
It's easy enough to look back over your shoulder. I don't know if you can look directly behind, but since there is nothing to see but your seatback, it doesn't really matter.

The only minor problem I've found is that if you like to watch your replays from an external view you'll end up with a crick in your neck. Best to throw a hat over the unit and use your mouse.

Fritz_Stahlhelm
03-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi,

The short answer: yes.

The long answer: yes. However, it depends on whether you are using the mouse to look around or if you use hat switch view. I have always used mouse view and I have become very good at it. Looking around was never a problem and I could easliy track any aircraft whatever the maneuver the'd pull off. The downside is that you "loose" one hand.

As for hat view, I myself cannot understand how a player can be so stupid to use it rather than mouse view. It is comparable to flying and wearing a welding mask. In my opinion, they should all be put to death for their ignorance, however that is exactly what is happening online due to their reduced visiblity and SA. Therefore I encourage all online players to continue using hat view, making it easier to shoot them down.

I got my TrackIR 3 PRO three weeks ago. Immediately my sighting ability dropped to 50% (and my overall flying ability accordingly). After 2 weeks, I was on 80-90% of my mouse view ability. Now I feel for the first time I'm about on par with my original ability. I'm finally able to captialize on the investement in money and training. As for the immersion part, yes it helps, but I wouldn't exagerate it. The biggest advantage is that I've now freed up one hand that I use for the X45 throttle piece.

You want to try out different sensitivity settings in order to get the most out of it. I have a narrow "dead center" and a progressive response after that. I have mapped the "pitch" axis more aggressivly than the "yaw" axis. The reason is that I often use the "look back over shoulder" view as a quick snap shot while scanning the side views requires a little smoother response. It is very easy to edit the settings. In my opinion, it is worth it, but for different reasons depending on whether you are using mouse view or hat view.

When asking if it is worth getting TrackIR, you will get two kinds of answers: the first from people having used hat view, and the second kind of answer from people who used mouse view. The first category of people is astonished how their SA improved and they often make remarks like "I can't go back" or "I cannot understand how I could fly without it" etc... This has nothing to do with TrackIR being a magic super gadget. The simple explanation is that these people were using a poor viewing technique and now they've realised how inferior it was. But they miss the point: Hat view is worse than mouse view. But I digress.

Kind regards,
Fritz

Flyby_99
03-18-2005, 06:28 AM
my two cents on TIR3_Pro and Vector is this: I can pan smoother than I could using the microstick on my Cougar. That worked great for a long time, but once I got TIR, I saw less of a "workload" in trying to keep track of aircraft. One has to have discipline to keep your head still while lining up a shot. I tried the vector expansion in FS2004, and that was a revealing experience. I flew a Hawker Seafire, and was impressed to lean over and look around the seat back, plus leaning in (like zooming) and out. I got the vector expansion in preparation for Oleg's BoB, and other sims which support it. More immmersive, with vector, it sure is, and with just TIR in FB/PF it's very, very good too. Way easier to look over your shoulder then back to the front than ever before versus using a microstick or a hat to pan. Well, then. There it is.
Flyby out

Hristos
03-18-2005, 06:41 AM
TrackIR 1 here, still working well. I don't plan to upgrade yet until BoB, which will probably have 6DOF view support. Right now vector expansion is a waste of money if you play only this sim.

Only 6DOF support will justify TrackIR-3 or later with vector expansion or me. Needless to say, prices should drop by then as well.

Old_Canuck
03-18-2005, 07:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hristos:
TrackIR 1 here, still working well. I don't plan to upgrade yet until BoB, which will probably have 6DOF view support. Right now vector expansion is a waste of money if you play only this sim.

Only 6DOF support will justify TrackIR-3 or later with vector expansion or me. Needless to say, prices should drop by then as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

SweetMonkeyLuv
03-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Just got my TIR 3 Pro and VE pack via UPS yesterday. I didn't find that the learning curve was very steep, at all. Within 20 minutes, it had become a completely natural response. I still have some tweaking to do on the responsiveness (right now, it feels too sensitive to my movements), but the software seems easy enough to use.

Get it. You'll be happy. Even if you're happy with your current viewing solution and it does nothing to improve your SA, its certainly not going to hurt anything, and the chances are very good that it'll make you better. If not, it'll at least help you by freeing up your hands, fingers, and HOTAS buttons for other plane management functions.

As for the vector expansion, I went ahead and purchased for two reasons. One is for future support. The other is that even tho the sim doesn't support moving your head in all 6 degrees, having the vector expansion still helps with the accuracy and smoothness of the motion, and you can "deaden" out the unused axises so they don't mess with your normal motions.

Lucius_Esox
03-18-2005, 12:20 PM
I've heard that having 6dof with the vector expansion makes the veiw less "jittery". As to wether or not it's worth it you get so used to it that it would be like playing without a mouse in a fps!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Von_Rat
03-18-2005, 12:37 PM
yes get it,. trackir gives a better 6 view than a hat, thats for sure.

Sultan_of_Swing
03-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Unlike some, I loved right from the start. It was as they say, "plug & play" (with some tweaking to be sure). If you fly closed cockpit, then you have to have it. You will not regret it. Promise. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Saunders1953
03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Sultan....exactly! Fritz--I was a "Mouser" but just didn't have enough hands for the buttons, even with VAC, and in a real dust-up, I inevitably would get disoriented and lose my target (and usually end up flying into the ground). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

With TrackIR I got acclimated in minutes, not hours. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I occasionally tweak it, but for cockpit-only flying, it's a dream. I got the Pro3 Vector for future expansion in BOB and whatever other games might come out that I can use it with. I have yet to activate the Vector, though, because I wanted to get used to the "regular" TrackIR first so I could see how much more it improves things even without 6DOF support. Just plain TrackIR is just plain great so far. With it, VAC, joystick and throttle, flying in this game is sweet and I am now able to (rather pathetically) attempt historical maneuvers against my opponents. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GAU-8
03-19-2005, 01:09 AM
i was both a mouse, and a hatswitch user (be a B-17 pilot for the BEST (shameless plug) bomber squad..and youll see why :P)

anyways i always felt using the mouse was "if this was real, this is what it would be like, in the cockpit,looking around and such"

with TRAK-IR/vector it is "I AM IN THE COCKPIT..this is how it IS"

head movement controlled..NATURALLY, with the HEAD... not by the HAND. so instead of "observing" you are now "THERE" best way to look at it. vector in FS2004 is even better.

johnbn
03-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Two words:-

GET IT

you won't regret it

"mind you, he's strictly rythmn he doesn't make it cry or sing"

missiveus
03-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Another vote for TIR3. Anytime I try to fly on a PC without it, I move my head around out of habit...but nothing happens http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

FYI: The 6D vector works for TIR3 Pro and non-Pro models, but not with TIR2/1. Really looking forward to adding it in BoB.