PDA

View Full Version : those two DLC smells like rip off

jakseth
12-16-2009, 08:45 PM
According to few articles the two DLC that will come in jan in Feb seem to some content either taken off or prepared in advance from the full game...

come on ubi.. you can do better than that! Take example on GTA for real value added DLC!

SWJS
12-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Broken english... hurt... head...

Seriously though, at the GTA comment. GTA's DLC did the exact same thing the AC2 DLC is doing. Adding missions. The only difference is that Rockstar likes to find ways to make the missions drag on longer. Plus, GTA has a larger fanbase than AC2, and like the Templars, Rockstar has deeper pockets thanks to said GTA fanbase.

DLC also costs money to make, and I doubt anyone here would have enough money to fund DLC for a game like GTA or AC2.

the amolang
12-17-2009, 01:02 AM
I actually am surprised with Ubi, in a good way. I expected each to be ten dollars, but instead I can get both for less than that. That's a good deal to me... and okay, they may have ripped it out of the game to make dlc, but how many devs do that? lots, and they often charge ten bucks!

I am more than willing to buy this dlc, and I VERY rarely buy dlc. the last was knothole island for fable 2, and I thought it was okay. This is going to be WAY better, just because its for AC2. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

KakashiAssassin
12-17-2009, 01:30 AM
this is the best deals i have seen for dlc (provided the pricing is the same)

its definitly going to have my money

Zerban_da_Great
12-17-2009, 01:45 AM
*ahem*

Making games costs money. Increasingly these days, games cost so much to make that it's getting harder to turn a profit, which is what developers use to make MORE of those games you like. DLC costs money to make, because they still have to hire people. DLC does not explode out of the *** of the company's CEO as a money-maker. Plus, DLC can't be pirated. So that means that 100% of their customers are paying full price for it.

AC2 was a complete game. You get value for your money with thew retail package. Nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC. Sure they're nice mission packs, but they're not essential, which is why the devs went ahead and released the game instead of delaying it for two months.

I'm sick of DLC=Ripoff.

EzioAssassin51
12-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Zerban_da_Great:
Sure they're nice mission packs, but they're not essential , which is why the devs went ahead and released the game instead of delaying it for two months

They are if you want 100% on the game... i think...

Anyway... i think they look great and they are a good price ($5 for US couldn't be much more or less for me in Aus) but i do not think it is a rip off!

the amolang
12-17-2009, 06:24 AM
okay, I just found something that made me a little less happy with them making this stuff dlc...

in the video that was posted on these forums from Joystick it says that one of the two packs will be about Caterina Sforza and the whole ordeal with her on the fortress wall. This was said to be IN the game, way back in march i think. so they took it out and decided to make you pay for it?? I guess its okay but it ticked me off slightly.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Grandmaster_Z
12-17-2009, 06:50 AM
DLC should be about adding random stuff like costumes, weapons, items, things like that. not about adding missions that were obviously already developed when the game was released..

ziljn
12-17-2009, 08:00 AM
According to few articles the two DLC that will come in jan in Feb seem to some content either taken off or prepared in advance from the full game...

come on ubi.. you can do better than that! Take example on GTA for real value added DLC!

So what? Your upset that they will come out sooner then if they waited a few more months to add them in? Neither memory is crucial to the original game, which was by no means lacking content. What's the message your sending to Ubisoft? Please wait loger to put out content instead of developing it early to have it out sooner?

The game is complete as is. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the DLC.

(Apologies to Grandamster. The quote should have been from the OP, not his. fixed now)

salted onions
12-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Although it was annoying too have those 2 DNA sequences taken out, only too be later sold too use for a price, it won't stop me from buying them. Evil as it may be, I'm pretty sure die-hard fans of assassin's creed will have little hesitation to buy this, as greedy this plan may be.

And response too Grandmaster_Z, we're all entitled too opinion and I think more <STRIKE>difficult and challenging</STRIKE> missions should be for DLCs too further elaborate the story and the immersion into. the games time. But that's just me. Cosmetic armor is nice and all, but stronger armor, or stronger weapons is unecessary since fighting is easy enough as it is :\

Joda_sa
12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
which was by no means lacking content.

Agreed.
I have felt "ripped off" by so many games in the past, and I spent many years in the industry, that I have no problem paying for DLC for a truely exception title like AC2.
Kudos Ubisoft.

caswallawn_2k7
12-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by jakseth:

the files for 90% of the fist DLC on GTA4 were found in the standard PC version of the game and activated by modders before the DLC even came out, now I would call that making DLC before the game is released.

Zerban_da_Great
12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Ok, let me say the same thing again, but clearer.

@EzioAssassin51: Did you get to sequence 14 and wonder why there was a gaping hole in the story's plot? No, because there wasn't one. The game works perfectly well without them, and the game is worth the retail price considering how much they stuffed into it.

@amolang: Here's a much better idea. What if the game was taking a little too long to finish, so they decided that with the miracle of DLC they can actually finish the game on time, and then add the stuff they couldn't finish later at a low price? Come on, it's a gig of data. Plus the Bonfire of the Vanities requires them to do an entire district of Florence, and God knows how long they take to build a city to parkour in.

@Grandmaster_Z: You've got it completely backwards. Costumes, weapons and items are the worst, most cosmetic, most superficial DLC any game could offer. Look at Little Big Planet or Street Fighter 4, nickle and diming you for the opportunity to look slightly different. Here they're offering a total of sixteen new missions and Leonardo's glider, and you're calling foul? Really?

@ziljn: Exactly!

@childprodigy: Just because there is space for sequence 12 and 13 does not mean that they were made and then taken out. Each sequence is coming later, and are low-priced for rather large downloads. Read my explaination above - games take longer and cost more to develop. Instead of delaying the game for a month to fit the sequences in, they gave you a great game and the opportunity to add more to it down the track. Plus they get to made rude gestures to game piraters.

I mean, at least they aren't pulling a Saint's Row 2 and giving me three missions and a few new cars for $15.95 Australian.

Mitro-Blade
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
DLC should be about adding random stuff like costumes, weapons, items, things like that. not about adding missions that were obviously already developed when the game was released..

/Facepalm (Insert facepalm pic here)

Grandmaster_Z
12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
dlc is a joke when there are still so many bugs with the game. i personally hate any kind of dlc. the way it is nowadays, its so easy to provide feedback to the devs about bugs in the game, that should be the main focus after a game has been released, to fix bugs. i can see where multiplayer games charge for new maps because they create them long after a game is out and it doesnt take them that long to create a map but this is obviously already been created along with the rest of the game at the same time.

kahuna390
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
everyone needs to keep in mind the fact that gta is almost 2 years old. the dlc for the game only came out this year. so serisouly the fact that ubisoft are giving us content at only months after the release of ac2 shows you that we are much more fortunat that gta fans. specially as they are very cheap and add more vital content to the game instead of the game dying while we wait for more things to do like gta. ubi cant do what rockstar has done with gta cause this game sourt of depends on ezio being the main character. also lots of people saying that ubi dont have deep pockets, are you joking. assassins creed is one of the biggest franchises knows to the gaming industry. ac one alone could challenge gta4 in sales let alone how many games have been sold throughout the franchise. ubisoft is behind of some of th ebigest franchises around like prince of persia. assassins creed rakes in money specialy as ac2 was 75 percent up on pre orders compared to the orginal

kahuna390
12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
dlc is a joke when there are still so many bugs with the game. i personally hate any kind of dlc. the way it is nowadays, its so easy to provide feedback to the devs about bugs in the game, that should be the main focus after a game has been released, to fix bugs. i can see where multiplayer games charge for new maps because they create them long after a game is out and it doesnt take them that long to create a map but this is obviously already been created along with the rest of the game at the same time.
yeah but we would have had to wait until january to or february to actually have played the entire game cause obviously if this extra content was fnished for release then they would have released it. also you need to take into account how much extra gameplay will be added to ac2.

ziljn
12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
dlc is a joke when there are still so many bugs with the game. i personally hate any kind of dlc. the way it is nowadays, its so easy to provide feedback to the devs about bugs in the game, that should be the main focus after a game has been released, to fix bugs.

Didn't they just release a patch?

And if they had the DLC done already, as you suggest, then doesn't that mean they aren't working on that instead of bugs?

i can see where multiplayer games charge for new maps because they create them long after a game is out and it doesnt take them that long to create a map but this is obviously already been created along with the rest of the game at the same time.

So your problem is that they already had it ready when the game came out?

So?

Would you be happier if they waited until June to release it then? Or is it that you feel you were entitled to have it for free since they had already done it? You think it would have been better to have waited to create it, (obviously leaving less time to work on bugs btw) and release it later? What's the difference?

I really don't see what there is to b*tch about here, but if it bugs you that much, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.

vanbuskirks
12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Zerban_da_Great:
*ahem*

Making games costs money. Increasingly these days, games cost so much to make that it's getting harder to turn a profit, which is what developers use to make MORE of those games you like. DLC costs money to make, because they still have to hire people. DLC does not explode out of the *** of the company's CEO as a money-maker. Plus, DLC can't be pirated. So that means that 100% of their customers are paying full price for it.

AC2 was a complete game. You get value for your money with thew retail package. Nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC. Sure they're nice mission packs, but they're not essential, which is why the devs went ahead and released the game instead of delaying it for two months.

I'm sick of DLC=Ripoff.
/thread.

ParagonParadox
12-17-2009, 06:23 PM
It seems weird, the last time I saw a DLC that cheap it was for Mercs 2 and it was rubbish. I hope the devs took a look at the wishlist and decided to give us some of what we wanted. NEW WEAPONS, NEW CLOTHING, NEW ARMOR, FLYING MACHINE ALWAYS USABLE!!!

Ureh
12-17-2009, 06:35 PM
how does dlc work anyway? once i pay for it and download it do i need to pay for it again if i uninstall then reinstall the game?

same question for the in-game maps. cuz i bought the master assassin edition and unlocked both of the maps already. will i be able to get the bonus maps back if i reinstall? or are the codes only one use?

i hope they include the arsenal shipyard as dlc.

SWJS
12-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Ureh:
how does dlc work anyway? once i pay for it and download it do i need to pay for it again if i uninstall then reinstall the game?

same question for the in-game maps. cuz i bought the master assassin edition and unlocked both of the maps already. will i be able to get the bonus maps back if i reinstall? or are the codes only one use?

i hope they include the arsenal shipyard as dlc. Once you buy DLC you can redownload it free of charge.

The codes are one-use-only.

All the bonus maps are going to be released as DLC.