PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed, anyone???

Stingray-65
08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
You know, I haven't ever seen any seaweed, kelp forests or the like in the sim. And I just got to thinking about this as my current mission is to patrol through the Sargasso Sea & into the heart of the Bermuda Triangle itself.

Does anyone know if underwater vegetation posed a serious threat to u-boats/submarines & if so, how did they deal with it???

Stingray-65
08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
You know, I haven't ever seen any seaweed, kelp forests or the like in the sim. And I just got to thinking about this as my current mission is to patrol through the Sargasso Sea & into the heart of the Bermuda Triangle itself.

Does anyone know if underwater vegetation posed a serious threat to u-boats/submarines & if so, how did they deal with it???

WilhelmSchulz.
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Well I would say(and this is a wild guess) that vegetation could jam the dive planes if enough gathered in between the planes and the hull. And alos I bet it could wrap around the the propreller shafts. At least I would guess so. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

PhantomKira
08-09-2007, 12:22 AM
It would tend to clog any pumps that pumped salt (well, sea/external) water (by way of jamming the impellor, which is the internal propeller in a pump). Alternately, it could cover the screen over such an impellor, resulting in the pump running without resistance (since enough water couldn't get through), and thus too fast, burning up the motor.

Don't know if u-boats had any of those, though.

gsc67
08-10-2007, 07:45 AM
This is a great thread ! I read once that it was a HUGE problem for the Axis and the Allies in their Subs. Not only sea weed and veg. but marine life such as squid and large fish. They need to halt the boats and send down dive crews to clear out the tanks and the blades and shafts.

K_Freddie
08-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Still a problem today... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

tuddley3
08-11-2007, 12:16 AM
SH4 includes floating seaweed and kelp forests. Some mods are compatible between SH3 and Sh4, but don't know much about Sh4 to Sh3 mods besides ports. There may be a possibility the Seaweed in the water could be used in SH3, if not, the best that can be done is 3D-Waves by Sober.

Celeon999
08-11-2007, 02:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone know if underwater vegetation posed a serious threat to u-boats/submarines & if so, how did they deal with it??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely.

Underwater vegetation caused problems for ships and submarines back then and still does so today .

Stingray-65
09-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Bump

So has anyone come out with a "seaweed mod"?