PDA

View Full Version : Tracers: are they right?

KraljMatjaz
04-10-2006, 09:37 AM
many times, when searchin for battle, I simply lookout for tracers, they are visible from several miles away. in addition, it is very easy to tell apart frient/foe by tracers etc etc... for me at least, looking out for tracers is one of most important inputs about situational awareness.

should they really be visible by such distances? I do "feel" they should be by night (anyone been in army at night practice?), but what about day? To me they seem too visible at large distances.

Texan...
04-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Agree 100%.

.50cal tracers are way more dangerous to the allied pilots themselves.

MLudner
04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, you have to remember that they're dumping a lot of lead really fast.

The .50 cal tracer has always been wrong in this game. In CFS 2 they had it about 90% accurate; it almost looked exactly like the gun camera footage you see from WWII US fighters.

You may be right, though, that is a tad too visible in daylight.

Divine-Wind
04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
The sounds for the .50s as well as the tracers make it look pretty weak, IMO. I agree that in CFS2 the tracers were near perfect.

Texan...
04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Yes, that too. 1C could have avoided 1/3 of the .50cal whines had they gotten a proper sound EFX down. I mean, if you've heard 1 .50cal fired, then you know that 6 or 8 would be quite a roar.

As is, they even sound puny.

Tully__
04-11-2006, 02:41 AM
With respect to tracers, do not trust gun camera footage!!!
The film used in gun cameras (and indeed most B&W film stock) is much more sensitive in the infra-red range than human eyes. As muzzle flash and tracer emit a lot more heat than light, on film they show considerably brighter on film than for human eyes for most tracer types.

On the other hand, AFAIK the tracer colour differnces are pretty close to realistic and being able to tell who's shooting by colour is something that the real pilots did more or less like we do.