PDA

View Full Version : Landing Gear Deploy Wildcat



Klussdog
08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I have been flying IL-2 for some time now but never flew as a US Marine or Navy pilot. So during my first attempt in the Wildcat I could not raise or lower my landing gear with the G key (also have this programmed in my Saitek X52). Do I need to use or setup another command for US Navy Fighters? Any help would be much appreciated.

horseback
08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Wildcats had a manual crank to raise and lower the landing gear; you will have to assign a key or button to Manuallyr Raise Gear and to Manually lower Gear.

I believe that it's also needed for a few other aircraft, notably the I-153 and I-16.

NOTE: You will have to press the key several times before the gear is fully up or down, one keystroke represents a few turns of the crank (the real Wildcats required something like 39 turns to raise or lower the gear).

cheers

horseback

Tully__
08-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by horseback:
...NOTE: You will have to press the key several times...

42 key presses the last time I counted.

PanzerAce
08-23-2009, 04:38 AM
The -153 actually has normal gear. IIRC, only the F4Fs, the FM2, and the i-16 need the manual crank in normal operation. battle damage is another story http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

gorkyporky
08-23-2009, 06:01 AM
In which aircraft can you raise/lower gear manualy if you sustain battle damage? Im asking of course for IL2, i bet most of them had this option in RL.

AndyJWest
08-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by gorkyporky:
In which aircraft can you raise/lower gear manualy if you sustain battle damage? Im asking of course for IL2, i bet most of them had this option in RL.

Can't give a list, but I know there are some. I've found on more than one occasion that the G key won't work after damage, but manual lowering does. Always worth a try in this situation.

Superjew1
08-23-2009, 07:52 AM
If this game modeled in that the manual landing gears were more reliable than the automated landing gears, some people in this game might actually look forward to getting a manual landing gear than the automated one.

But unlike in reallife, everything works perfectly in IL2.

Zeus-cat
08-23-2009, 12:08 PM
When raising or lowering the gear on the manual crank aircraft you should look down and to your right and you will see the crank spinning.

RPMcMurphy
08-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
...NOTE: You will have to press the key several times...

42 key presses the last time I counted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
I never bothered to count. I just keep hittting the key until I get a gear up/down message, but from now on I will count just for the measurement just-about there knowing thing.

Odin1956
08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gifI use Ctrl + arrow up/ arrow down to do the cranking....

Klussdog
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the help... Shift Cap for up Cap for down

DD_crash
08-24-2009, 04:57 AM
If you have a saitek use the SST to program a repeat keypress when you hold the key/ button! works well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wildnoob
08-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Superjew1:
If this game modeled in that the manual landing gears were more reliable than the automated landing gears, some people in this game might actually look forward to getting a manual landing gear than the automated one.

But unlike in reallife, everything works perfectly in IL2.

agreed.

altough in the the I-16 I have sure the crank system required considerable phisic strength also. we just need press 42 times a soft key, can't be so bad. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DuxCorvan
08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by PanzerAce:
The -153 actually has normal gear. IIRC, only the F4Fs, the FM2, and the i-16 need the manual crank in normal operation. battle damage is another story http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yep. People tend to forget that I-153 was actually a LATER plane than I-16.

Daiichidoku
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
odd thing that, only the in game types equipped with a manual backup/emergency gear extend, such as P47, actually ever suffer "hydralic systems" damage to necessitate its use

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

wheelsup_cavu
08-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
...NOTE: You will have to press the key several times...

42 key presses the last time I counted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hadn't counted the key presses either but I will now dangnabit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif


Wheels

CUJO_1970
08-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Cranking the gear down manually is one of the things that make the Wildcat a cool ride.