PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters - PC Resource Issues

Duxford_Brill
12-04-2004, 11:35 AM
It strikes me that there seems to be a lot of issues concerning PC specs & memory/performance issues with this product. I have a Dell 2400 series PC which is a 2.8GHz m/c with 512MB RAM, 64MB gfx card running XP and meets all the criteria on the product box. However, I am experiencing lock ups, freezes, slow performance, jumpy graphics and after 25 mins I eventually have to reboot the machine. This is not happening at all on IL2. It looks like Ubi need to address the numerous isses or some of will be returning the product in ever increasing numbers. By the way, I have upgraded the product to 3.01 (standalone) and all my drivers (gfx included) are up to date. Any comments by others on this?
By the way - I have increased my virtual memory paging file size to 2096MB with no improvement. The sort of problems arising here could be due to memory leaks with the s/w - but surely this is unlikely?

ElAurens
12-04-2004, 11:44 AM
The original version of PF and the 3.01 patch all had issues with memory leakage.

The 3.02BM patch cures all of this and has made PF incredibly stable and gave me a frame rate boost as well.

Some are reluctant to try it because of the word "beta" associated with it, but trust me, this is the best thing going for PF.

Duxford_Brill
12-04-2004, 02:23 PM
The original version of PF and the 3.01 patch all had issues with memory leakage.

"The 3.02BM patch cures all of this and has made PF incredibly stable and gave me a frame rate boost as well.

Some are reluctant to try it because of the word "beta" associated with it, but trust me, this is the best thing going for PF."

Thanks for the encouragement but I would really like some guidance. I have located the relevant links to download 3.02 as :-

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=692106434

&

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S2

but what do I actually do? I have a standalone version of PF straight from CD onto my PC then patched to 3.01. Now, it looks like I need to contend with a server/client configuration which is adds some unwanted complications. Is it really a case of installing the *b.exe and *b new.exe files or do I need to install the server software as well? If so, where do I get it and what version should it be?

Your help would really be appreciated.

Duxford_Brill
12-04-2004, 02:28 PM

"The 3.02BM patch cures all of this and has made PF incredibly stable and gave me a frame rate boost as well.

Some are reluctant to try it because of the word "beta" associated with it, but trust me, this is the best thing going for PF."

Thanks for the encouragement but I would really like some

Texas LongHorn
12-04-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm with DuxFord- I too have the standalone install patched to 3.01. I don't play this install online. Is there any reason to hassle with the server/client stuff in my case? LongHorn

Nealg
12-04-2004, 03:55 PM
I'll try to help. Patch releases have been confusing. Sometimes it helps to look through the forum, but information tends to get scattered and not everyone has the time to search through 3 or 4 forums for answers.

First...if you are not going to actually run a online IL2/PF dedicated server, you should NOT use the dedicated server patch. This says this on the Main page patch announcement, I think.

Second...there has been one patch ( version 3.01 ) and one beta patch ( version 3.02b ) released. There are different flavors, depending on how you installed Pacific Fighters, of both patches. 3.01 was pretty straightforward - either 3.01 if you have PF installed as a stand alone sim, or 3.01m if you have it installed with Forgotten Battles/AEP.

The beta patch referred to above is a bit more complicated, as betas sometimes are. But, as above, ignore the dedicated server patch unless you are running a dedicated server.

For the beta patch, you need to locate 2 files for your particular install. Also, you really SHOULD read the readme file for it prior to installing.

The first file is the 3.02b Common.exe ; you install this one regardless of whether you have a stand alone or merged Pacific Fighters installation. IMPORTANT: You MUST tell this patch where it is to be installed....when you first run it, select 'Browse' and browse to the folder your game is actually in before allowing it to install. Actually, as a personal thing, I always do that with patches if that is given me as a option...just in case.

Next, you need to locate the beta for your installation: for a stand alone, locate the 3.02b.exe . For a install with FB+AEP, locate the 3.02bm.exe. You should not have any file with the extension '_new' and .exe at the end.

This is the beta patch referred to above ; NOT the dedicated server patch. Crazyivan had a sticky at the top of this forum that had links for the files ; I think it is still there, if he hasn't edited it. Also, the main page has info on the 3.01 patch, with mirrors - chances are, if you check any of those mirrors, you will locate the the 3.02b beta patch also.

Hope this helps some.

PriK
12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Yes there are serious stability issues in 3.01 patch and 3.00. I'm waiting for the 3.02 non-beta patch in hopes that it will indeed solve these issues that weren't present in IL2 or FB/AEP.

I decided to just wait for the non-beta patch for now. I might put it in a separate install next week if it's not out yet.

Let's cross our fingers that they've finally fixed it.

joeap
12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:

The 3.02BM patch cures all of this and has made PF incredibly stable and gave me a frame rate boost as well.

Some are reluctant to try it because of the word "beta" associated with it, but trust me, this is the best thing going for PF. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ElAurens, I patched up to 3.01 with the beta exe, and I'm having really good results. Are you saying the 3.02BM is better?

ElAurens
12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Yes, 3.02B, or 3.02bm for those with merged install is far better than 3.01. My 3.00 and 3.01 versions were unstable at best. 3.02b or bm is FAR BETTER.

I know it may be confusing to some, but get the 3.02b or bm patch and try it.

Don't bother with the dedicated server/client stuff, unless you intend to run a dedicated server on a seperate machine.

Honestly ladies and gents, it is a noticable improvement.

And for you guys only running PF as stand alone, get FB and AEP and do a merged install. It will open up the entire world to you.

Be sure!

Duxford_Brill
12-05-2004, 07:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
Yes, 3.02B, or 3.02bm for those with merged install is far better than 3.01. My 3.00 and 3.01 versions were unstable at best. 3.02b or bm is FAR BETTER.

Don't bother with the dedicated server/client stuff, unless you intend to run a dedicated server on a seperate machine.

And for you guys only running PF as stand alone, get FB and AEP and do a merged install. It will open up the entire world to you.

__Be sure!__ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two words............ohhhhh wow!! This patch does the business for my standalone installation. Having just installed the patch and tried it the whole "look and feel" is instantly transformed. No hesitance when quitting.....smoother gfx......better detail.....no freezes (yet!)....a very much improved package. I must admit I was beginning to get concerned - especially for PF and the coming Christmas season. To purchase such a goody only to wrestle with patches that didn't seem to improve matters does not bear thinkling about. I will now let my young son try and break the game. Will keep you posted if anything else crops up.

Oh...where to get the patches? Try http://telija.net/~cougar/stuff/pf/ .......but as always, these things are attempted at your own risk so remember to use browse facility when installing and double check just where you want the patch to be installed. (With a game like PF I just couldn't wait!)

ElAurens
12-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Glad to have been a help D-B. I hope you and your son start to really enjoy just how good this sim truely is now.

For a Christmas gift to yourselves go out and get the FB/AEP "Gold Pack" And do a merged install with PF. You can keep your current PF stand alone on the machine too. Lots more planes, areas of the world, and frankly, fun to be had in there.

Oh, when you are ready to try online (hehe), pop in here and ask for whatever help you may need.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

joeap
12-05-2004, 08:59 AM

__Be sure!__ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok, I'll take the plunge, at least I'll be able to use the Stuka or D3A again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Duxford_Brill
12-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Glad to have been a help D-B. I hope you and your son start to really enjoy just how good this sim truely is now.

For a Christmas gift to yourselves go out and get the FB/AEP "Gold Pack" And do a merged install with PF. You can keep your current PF stand alone on the machine too. Lots more planes, areas of the world, and frankly, fun to be had in there.

Oh, when you are ready to try online (hehe), pop in here and ask for whatever help you may need.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much for the advice and I will certainly follow your suggestions.

If you are interested in the reasons for my addy then I chose a name associated with a place that is very dear to me and my interests. If you get a chance have a look at this link - http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00d - the museum is about 45 mins from where I live in the UK with the American Air Museum being one of the highlights of any visit - http://aam.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1105