PDA

View Full Version : X-45 Stick

actionhank1786
12-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, i've got the X-45, and it seems the little plastic ring at the base, just under the spring is sticking.
It makes precise shooting a bit of a pain in the poop-deck.
I've gotten used to using my rudder, and elevator trim to dip my nose that little bit, but i'd love some ideas for smoothing it out.
Any suggestions?

Waldo.Pepper
12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
I think candle wax is the recommended fix.

Petroleum (based) jelly is a big no-no.

Some (me included) have reduced the tension on the spring by using quick ties to compress the spring to reduce the pressure.

The-Pizza-Man
12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
The best way to fix that, is to make a cardboard disc (I used the cardboard from the joystick box) at 5-8mm wider than the actual black plastic disc on the joystick with a hole in the middle and a cut from the outside to the inner hole. Put that disc under the black plastic disc. It smooths it up nicely, you can also try to loosen the spring a bit with a couple of zip ties.

I'm thinking of replacing the cardboard with a more permanent version made from the plastic of an icecream container as the cardboard ones wear out over time.

Sturm_Williger
12-07-2005, 04:18 AM
The candlewax rubbed under the black disc works very well.

But I do seem to be in the minority in preferring the strong spring - gives a nice positive feel to the stick http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

The-Pizza-Man
12-07-2005, 05:02 PM
I tried the candle wax but it didn't perform to satisfaction. The little mod I described made a huge difference for me.

Thunder_96thCAF
12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I had a x-45 a year ago, and I had gone threw about 3 of them before I decided that on the 4th one, i would reinforce the round lip on the bottem of the disk with some super glue....It worked and extended the life a few months....but now I gave up and got the new x52....wow, no complaints here, had it when it came out first and have not had a problem yet. it has magnetic centering so its a lot smother and precise....the rudder on the right hand threw me for a loop, but once you get used to it, its really a lot better.

Tully__
12-08-2005, 04:42 AM
At different times I've used both the candle wax and the cardboard disk. Both work. Your preference for which you actually use.

Padser
12-08-2005, 05:02 AM
I used silicone grease from my local plumbers' merchants when I had an x-45 - a bit dearer than the candle wax approach, but I found I didn't have to reapply it as often.

~S~

Pads

HayateAce
12-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Not candle wax, use Graphite Lubricant such as the kind for locks. It is like a powder and comes in a tube. Put it on once, and you won't need it again for the life of the X45.

As one poster says, petrol based lube is a big no, it will literally destroy the black ring. So you cannot use wife's KY.

http://www.shop-pitsco.com/pitsco3/itm_img/58606.jpg

ronison
12-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Just a few things to note:

- Do no use patrolium products because they will degrade the plastic used in the stick.

- Many products that have graphite and silicone also have chemicals that will do the same as patrolium over time.

- Another plus on using the zip ties on the spring, other than having a less stiff controll, is it will extend the life span of the plasic disc and plastic lip (what the disc rids on) less friction.

- Some waxes used in candles also have chemicals that can degrade plastics.

- A good natural substance to use that is 100% safe to plastic is Bees wax. You can find it at almost any fabric store, the only reason you will find me in one.

Do not think I am knocking anyone eseles suggestions above because they could be just as good as far as the graphite in a tube and candle wax. The only thing is you have to look at the ingrediance that are in the product to make sure it will be safe to your stick. Many are but also many are not. Read carefuly and if you are not sure I would personly go with the bees wax.

Tully__
12-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
Not candle wax, use Graphite Lubricant ...
Graphite is not a good idea. Though some have used it without issue, if it gets inside and works it's way into pots they will very badly misbehave. Graphite powder conducts electricity you see... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HayateAce
12-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Always good to know this type of info. I have used graphite powder on 4 X45s and no problem. I just don't gunk it on like a 5 year old model builder. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif To the rest, weigh all the above advice and make your own choice.

(No, I didn't go through all the sticks because of the powder. It was things like broken trigger button and several rudder rockers)

XyZspineZyX
12-12-2005, 06:57 AM
What about KY personnal lube? Thats water based http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Spinnetti
12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
(No, I didn't go through all the sticks because of the powder. It was things like broken trigger button and several rudder rockers)

I've had two, and in both, the primary trigger button pivot breaks off. Had to do surgery to fix.. I find the base sticks too, but just got used to it I guess. Very crummy feel, and low durability overall... Is the new one better?

Tully__
12-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Skunk241981:
What about KY personnal lube? Thats water based http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Drys out and loses its lubricating qualities too quickly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HayateAce
12-13-2005, 02:51 AM
That's what she said.

Yes, generally speaking the durability of the x45 is poor. I happen to be mid-life on a "good" one...musta got lucky.

No idea about the x52, Simply looks more complicated and breakable to me. I cannot do twisty rudder either, and rudder pedals have never appealed to me.

MagnumHK
12-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Interesting information.

However, I have found using ordinary Vaseline (white petroleum jelly) to work very well and once put on lasts a very long time. I have used this for quite some time without problems. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I am assuming that by petroleum based lubricants you mean designed for automobiles. These do have a variety of harmful chemicals in them.

ronison
12-13-2005, 05:47 PM
MagnumHK Vaseline does over time degrade the plastic. It is made from petroleum (IE oil) and that is what draws the oils out of plastics (Also made from oils). Though it may not show much ware from it over time it will degrade the plastic faster than some of the other products such as candle wax or Bees wax.

The other problem with Vaseline or other "Wet" based products is it draws dust and other particles. Thes in turn will "sand" down the plastic surfaces along with gumming up the works and needing further cleaning.

Ultimatly it is the choice of the stick user to choose which product, if any, they use. If one is working for you and you think its great keep using it.

SkyChimp
12-13-2005, 06:30 PM
The little paper or carboard disc works best in my experience.

Thunder_96thCAF
12-15-2005, 04:51 PM
the new x-52 is a dream!!! The twist rudder does take a bit to get used to but once you do, you like it. durability? yes, it is very strong! never off center, (magneticly centered) and the overall feel is great! download my profial for it from my website.

MagnumHK
12-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info ronison. Always good to know. Now, I have been using WD-40 for my squeaky buttons. Is this a good idea as it is petro based?

Once again I have been using WD-40 for a very long time and with other sticks as well.

Sooocool
12-16-2005, 01:07 PM
actionhank,
Parker O-ring lube is a silicone based clear and slightly gooey lubricant that stays where you apply it. It seams to be safe to use on anything, even oxygen systems. If you know of any pipe fitters or maintenance workers, they might hook you up with a dab. Good Luck. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CdnSpits
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I have the X45 as well and my only real complaint is the stiffness due to the rubbing of the black disk and stiff spring. I have zip ties on the spring but will add a plastic disk to the underneath of the black disk.

My question is why did Saitek ship this joystick out with this ineffective black disc?

Did they not product test this joystick before sending it to the masses?

I like the stick just seems glaringly obvious that the whole stiff spring and rubing black disc should have been fixed before they mass produced and shipped the joystick out.

Just my 2 cents on this matter...

dagenham_dave
12-17-2005, 01:16 PM
good old fashioned " copper grease ".... gives my X-45 real smooth movements.

Haker2021
12-17-2005, 06:11 PM
You can just use Lip Balm from safeway taht you buy at CVS or the Grocery store. Works great, non- petroleum based, it is made out of wax.

locksmitheee
12-31-2005, 02:09 PM
hey Bud i called saitek they said there was no fix i found my own quick fix, get 2 small wire ties and put them around the coil of the spring one in the front one in the back squizing the spring..it takes just the right amount of presure off the stick i love it!!!!!!p.s. guys i did the oil this works better!!!!!!!!!!!!

ronison
12-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Posted Fri December 16 2005 10:34
Thanks for the info ronison. Always good to know. Now, I have been using WD-40 for my squeaky buttons. Is this a good idea as it is petro based?

Once again I have been using WD-40 for a very long time and with other sticks as well.

Anything that can be used as a solvent can be destructive to plastics. Some will be more resilent than others but over time it can cause damage. WD-40 though not a super great solvent can be used as such for some materials. Personly I would pass on using that but then again on thoes itmes you are using that on it would be hard to find a substitute.

locksmitheee
01-01-2006, 01:23 AM
its not bad but wd-40 actually means "water displacement 40" so it doesnt last i would use a silicon base aresol or a die electric grease