PDA

View Full Version : Das Boot Lemons

bonorye
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Just curious, I'm kinda new to the submarine/das boot scene. I just watched Das Boot for the first time and I'm curious; why is everybody constantly eating lemons on the sub?

MidnightFlier
08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
To prevent scurvy, I'm guessing.

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-30-2005, 05:28 PM
The only friut avaible??? Just dont try the U-Boat specal cotail. YEEUUUKKK!!!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

pmckelvy
08-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Because lemons last longer than most other perishables.

Mac Out

Admiral_Donuts
08-30-2005, 06:28 PM
MidnightFlier is right; prevent scurvy. Sailors had been eating lemons and limes for hundreds of years before more practical methods were used. That's how English sailors got tagged as "Limeys." Hooda thunk it?

bonorye
08-30-2005, 06:59 PM
interesting, I'm assuming 'scurvy' means going crazy at sea or something like that. Man, that would give me major acid reflux/indigestion eating those after awhile.

Kaleun1961
08-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Scurvy is a deficiency of vitamin C, I believe. It leads to such lovely symptoms as gum disease, plus a few others which escape me now.

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Scurvy symtimts include, bleeding of the gums, oppening of old wounds and a few others I cant reneber.

FI-Aflak
08-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Scurvy is a deficiency of vitamin C, I believe. It leads to such lovely symptoms as gum disease, plus a few others which escape me now.

sunken eyes, yellowed skin, teeth falling out . . . the works.

Caseck73
08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Don't forget fingernails falling out, old wounds opening back up... All kindsa' fun stuff in extreme cases!

gabriel_cd
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
A Simple Experiment on Scurvy

In 1747 as the HMS Salisbury sailed from England to the Plymouth Colony, the ship's physician, James Lind, performed a simple experiment to determine what might be effective as a cure for scurvy. Scurvy was described as early as 1500 BC in the Ebers papyrus and other descriptions appeared in Greek and Roman writings. It struck the crew of Magellan's around the world journey in 1519-22 and a British report in 1600 indicated that in the previous 20 years some 10,000 mariners had been destroyed by the disease.

On May 20, 1747, Lind divided his 12 ill men into six groups of two each. All 12 shared a common diet for breakfast, lunch and dinner but each group received a different supplement as follows:

1. quart of apple juice daily
2. 25 drops of elixir vitriol (sulfuric acid and aromatics)
3. two spoonfuls of vinegar three times a day
4. concoction of herbs and spices
5. half-pint of sea water daily
6. two oranges and one lemon daily

The two men who ate the oranges and lemon recovered immediately. One was fit for duty in six days and the other was also well in six days and was appointed as nurse to all the others. The two men who drank apple cider improved but were not well enough to work. None of the others showed any improvement.

Mr. Lind concluded that something in the citrus fruit was counteracting the cause of the scurvy disease so he gave citrus fruits to all the other men and observed that all were cured of the disease.

Mr. Lind's Report
BBC Report on Captain Cook and scurvy

The lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) leads to impaired synthesis of collagen, osteoid, and dentine which are basically the bulding blocks for the things that hold our bodies together. Primates, including us, and guinea pigs are the only known mammals unable to manufacture vitamin C on their own and the body has no long term storage capacity.

So, keep sucking on lemons and please don't experiment on your guinea pigs!

Maj_Solo
08-31-2005, 12:17 AM
I guess we too need to bite the sour grape if we sit and play SH3 for too many hours. I have to admit I added it to my tunafish sallad. Bought 3 lemons have eated two so far ..... I hope my teeth don't fall out ..... too much SH3

the_rydster
08-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Avoid any fruit, vegatables, or red meat for the next 2 months and you will educate yourself about scurvy!

No multi-vitamin either!

paulhager
09-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by the_rydster:
Avoid any fruit, vegatables, or red meat for the next 2 months and you will educate yourself about scurvy!

No multi-vitamin either!

Read Roland Huntford's book sCOTT AND AMUNDSEN (AKA THE LAST PLACE ON EARTH). There is an extended discussion of scurvy, which was the scourge of polar explorers. Fresh meat is also a source of vitamen C. Amundsen and his men planned for killing and eating a portion of their dog teams en route, in part to stave off scurvy. Scott's team succumbed to scurvy and a host of other bad decisions.

ZG77_Lignite
09-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Another effect of scurvy is depression and lethargy. The body cannot create enough 'energy' to keep functioning properly. So not only do you literally fall apart physically, you fall apart mentally too. Moral and efficiency are seriously effected right along with agility and stamina. You will not be able to function, you won't want to either.