PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be cool if...

FI-Skipper
11-28-2005, 10:03 AM
You had the option in Il2 to talk to your squadron mates and go to the pub etc and get to know them.For example....if you were flying in a BoB campaign you ould go back and visit your family and make sure they were safe and you could experience tragedy if they were killed in bombings etc.It would also be nice that if you were shot down over enemy territory you could have a chance to escape and evade forces and if you were imprisoned you could try to break out.The war could carry on around you so you'd find that poerhaps by the time you got back to your squadron people would have gone and you'd have to make new friends over again.Think of the immersion.Obviously there is nothing like this on the market at the monet and we are most likely ages away from seeing anything like this but I was wondering to what extent the community could try to bring it in.In SH3 somebody made a mod to give each Captain an age background family etc and gave them what happend to them in later life if they survived the war.I was thinking that perhaps this could be expanded on to make it more interactive.Just a thought....let me know waht you all think anyways.

Cheers

Skipper

WholeHawg
11-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmmm. As interesting as it sounds to you and I, I dont know if there would be a huge market for something like this. It would be an enormous under taking with out much of an ROI.

BaldieJr
11-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm kinda attached to my real family and chosen life. Its about the best I could ask for and, interestingly enough: I built it. I can't imagine someone else designing a better existance for me.

Just something to think about.

Freelancer-1
11-28-2005, 11:14 AM
You could always go and pick up The Sims2 and make a comfy little home with a happy little family. Then you can add all the heart-wrenching tragedy you like. You could even download a jaunty aviators outfit for your virtual self.

Don't know how to actually link the two games, but it's the best I can suggest.

NAFP_supah
11-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Would this game come with free beer?

polak5
11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
What u propose would be easier with a FPS. If ur talking about going home in first person mode..
But this is something truly to be desired. Ive always wanted more immersion from this game, in the sense to make u feel like ur actually in a war theater.

danjama
11-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
You could always go and pick up The Sims2 and make a comfy little home with a happy little family. Then you can add all the heart-wrenching tragedy you like. You could even download a jaunty aviators outfit for your virtual self.

Don't know how to actually link the two games, but it's the best I can suggest.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif Have you played the Sims?

You could play a sortie, land, load up thesims and pretend you are the pilot at home. Of course youd need a second job, and it wouldnt be very authentic but.....

Friendly_flyer
11-28-2005, 02:06 PM
This wouldn't need to be very complicated. The game could have a set of pre-written letters (or letter fragments to combine, just like the briefings) that you get sent at random intervals. Whether you want this letter could be a simple setting. It could be everything from your kid brother getting drafted to your girlfriend breaking up with you.

In TIE-FIGHTER you had the option of entering a secret sect and work for the Emperor. Something similar (with your family in stead of the Emperor, at least on the British side, the German side could have some interesting twists) could be implemented in the campaigns.

Vuco1
11-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Nice idea. I would really apprised a bit more drama in game instead of: U fly, u shoot, u land and then all over again. Personally I more like custom made campaigns expectably if there are some interesting briefings that describe happenings between missions, let say about; new people that arrive at base, r,n,r times and so on.
One of campaigns that has this feature is Cactus Diary, and it really helps you get into the real felling of actually being there, on that Henderson field in Guadalcanal.

FI-Skipper
11-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Thats what I was thinking too.It can get a bit boring just going up , flying a bit shotting a bit a feeling that you are having no effect. I dont think it would be to hard to do as it could start off simple and progress.....the problem is where to start:S

wayno7777
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Interactive cutscenes in the briefing room and the intelligence officer's office would be cool....

LEXX_Luthor
11-29-2005, 08:07 PM
That kind of "back story" is important marketing idea for developers if they don't know how or don't want to create an immersive frontline air war environment. Its like the Pilot Videos for computer games that need Pilot Videos to make up for lack of air war simulation content. Just slap in a few Pilot Videos or Family Reunion Videos/Letters and don't worry about programming an air war simulation.

The best thing for immersion is Oleg making sure the game engine is friendly to 3rd Party makers of Dynamic Campaign or Online War generators (ie...we need more Lowengrins out there!!). That is how you create immersion that maintains interest for years and continues to attract new buyers years later as the sim is extended.

You watch Pilot Videos one time, then skip over them or find a way to turn them OFF. Same with Family Reunion Videos or Letters. Unless there is not much else in the sim, in which case you find another computer game that will be "fresh" for a another week or two.

Better to provide useful tools to 3rd Party Dynamic Campaign or Online War developers.

Estocade85
11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Some tiny bit of short but rich character/event history la Homeworld (black and white comic, voiceover and small static character icon) would add a great deal of feeling to the game.

LEXX_Luthor
11-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Funny. I loved O.R.B. (Offworld Resource Base) which amazingly lies between strategic and tactical levels of simulation. I downloaded the Scenario Editor which lets you create star systems and setup sides. I totally skipped over out of box campaigns. I became Hard Core but, I never even bothered to look at the "back story" since I had no interest in that, and still have no idea what its supposed to be about. Two alien races in conflict as far as I know. The game is so good when you have control over the scenario creation it does not need any "back story" or "side story."

ORB ~> http://www.o-r-b.com/

LEXX_Luthor
11-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Interesting...

O.R.B.: Off-World Resource Base - Designer Diaries :: 2002/11/18 :: Final Thoughts
Parting thoughts from the team now that the game is done.

~> http://www.o-r-b.com/press/ListArticles.asp?sArticleGroupCode=G4DDEN

on page 2 of first link ::

How the Game Changed in the Final Stages
Paul Gadbois (Producer)

This is where our extended development period has been beneficial to the project. Our ship models were done in the first few years of O.R.B. trying to meet the low-end machine requirements at the time. Every unit in the game can explode and they all have custom debris models. With this in mind, there was no way that the units would undergo a redesign. <span class="ev_code_yellow">Instead</span>, we took the extra overhead to create very realistic and immersive environments making O.R.B. unique in that way.

Its there, an extremely immersive and endlessly playable environment.